Tips on keeping poachers off our land?

Nnobby45

Right now, we are awaiting the results of our latest "catch" which has good pics of someone hauling a nice buck, still in velvet off our road in a nice new F350 with a nice 4 wheeler and trailer. They have been ID'd, served with order for surrender, and a warrant issued. I figure they are going to lose about 50 grand in toys for that deer, and I get a percent of auction price for turning them in.

Well, at least you aren't as bad as some I've seen who blocked the public from their own land and then created their own private public hunting preserve.
Or maybe I'm wrong. Do you hunt on the public land you deny the public access to while bragging about prosecuting those who trespass on yours? :rolleyes:

Would you consider allowing access to those who were responsible enough to ask permission.

TPAW

That's why you keep an old backhoe handy

I laughed so hard I nearly pissed my pants!.......I'm still laughing!........Great response.............:p You guys come up with the best! Thanks...TPAW

guntotin_fool

WE deny access thru our land, all completely legal in our state, Why? tax forfeit lands fall under a different legal status than land the county has bought and paid for to get public rights to.

If someone (and they have) want to paddle down to the land, we welcome them and have even allowed them to pump from our well, but when someone cuts a chain on our gate, drives 3/4 of a mile in, shoots a deer in July, and then leaves rubbish and never pulls the gate closed, they are asking for full prosecution.

States are all different. Land laws differ from county to county, but in our state and county, what we do is 100% legal and ethical.

Well, at least you aren't as bad as some I've seen who blocked the public from their own land and then created their own private public hunting preserve.
Or maybe I'm wrong. Do you hunt on the public land you deny the public access to while bragging about prosecuting those who trespass on yours?

Would you consider allowing access to those who were responsible enough to ask permission.

No, we do not, because there is no easy way to get there, and we are not going to be cutting in roads for people to get over there. However, like I said, if someone comes down the river, and we meet them, we are more than hospitable. According to the state law, we do not have to provide access to that land. IF the land were reclassified as wildlife management area, or were bought by someone else, and we did not match the offer, then we would be forced by law to grant an easement and allow them to build a road. As I said, tax forfeit land is a odd duck via land management. The property was all one place, but it was deeded as separate parcels, by buying the two which blocked off the third and forth, we effectively created a bit of land in legal limbo. Its all legal and common. There is enough land around that this is a small bit and not a problem. Minnesota has tens of thousand of parcels which are available cheap for hunting or which are state owned forests or WMA's,

Nnobby45

Well, it seems you and I feel the same about slobs and poachers. I've hunted on Nevada's public land for many decades and have run into my share of good folks and not so good.

Years ago, the American Sportsman Club leased ranches just so they could deny access to the public land beyond, and create their own hunting preserve for their members.

They even went so far as to station armed guards at the gates that Nevada sportsmen had been going through for years. You can imagine the hard feelings. One day such a guard pointed a rifle at the wrong individual and was, himself, shot. This happened in the 60's and I was off in the Army, so I didn get the details. The AS Club disappeared sometime in the 70's, I believe.

BurkGlocker

An oldie but a goodie are the signs with "NO TRESSPASSING Violators will be shot, survivors will be shot again..." I think this is legal in Texas... :D