Tiny Guns with Good Triggers?

Cosmodragoon

If you are a regular here, you might be familiar with my love for the LCR and the LCR 327 in particular. That's because it hits a sweet spot in the compromise between size and power, ease of carry and shooting enjoyment. That's a beautiful thing when you can find it. It gets increasingly difficult when things start to get really small.

I've come to appreciate how much a good trigger contributes to the mix. Having owned, carried, and practiced with a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard in .380 for a year also helped me to appreciate how much a bad trigger can break a deal. So help me out. Do any of the very small semi-autos have great or at least good triggers? What's your favorite and why?

Mosin44az

Ruger LCP Custom. Just very smooth, I think they install the aftermarket SweetPea trigger. Easy to do headshots at 15 yards. Doubles the effective range of my Gen 1.

I have also read that the current “ Gen 2” regular LCP has a trigger improved over the original. The LCP II is also supposed to have a very light trigger, haven’t tried it.

I can also vouch for the triggers of the Glock 42 and 43, which are typical Glock triggers, and Kel-tec P 32, which also has a light trigger making fast shots easy.

Last edited:

10-96

I bought a new Sig 238 when they came out, and even for a mini-1911 (think Colt Mustang or Pony) it has a quite nice SA trigger.

Siggy-06

The Ruger LCP 2 and the Glock 42 both have pretty good triggers for their size. My old beretta jetfire's trigger was nice too. I found the Sig 238's trigger was crisp, but heavy. Colt mustangs(the old model, haven't handled the new one) was excellent.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Two tiny guns with great triggers: 1) the LCP - not the very first generation (I've heard those sucked), but gen 1.5 when they went stainless. 2) some of the Kahrs have excellent triggers. But yes, the bodygaurd 380 trigger is garbage. And I am an M&P guy.

David R

I have a Sig P238 with a sweet trigger. I put a Galloway spring kit in it.
Just aobut 5 lbs, feels like less.

David

Personally not the least interested in a Light Crisp Trigger in a pocket gun. Unless of course you just target shoot them. I liked the LCP Gen 2 much more than the LCPll which was crazy light. I have the Kahr and it has a light but longer pull which is fine. I love the LCR9mm and also have began to shoot the heavier LCR22 quite well.
I now shoot mostly the Pico over the Kahr and can say that I shoot it the best of all while some feel the trigger is too heavy. It has broken in nicely, and combined with the light and mild recoil, I can do very well in fast action, center mass shooting.
Triggers and makes and models all vary. The important part of shooting a pocket gun is training.

gnystrom

I agree on the ultra smoothness of the Kahr. My only dislike is the length of pull before firing.
The New Sig P356 has a good trigger without the shape of all the split trigger striker fired guns.
Revolver wise, the Kimber K6s has a out of the box trigger easily as good as any custom trigger job on my Smiths.
Ruger LCR's nice factory triggers.

I agree on the ultra smoothness of the Kahr. My only dislike is the length of pull before firing.
The New Sig P356 has a good trigger without the shape of all the split trigger striker fired guns.
Revolver wise, the Kimber K6s has a out of the box trigger easily as good as any custom trigger job on my Smiths.
Ruger LCR's nice factory triggers.
Just reading about the Kimber on Gun-test. Appears to be a nice little gem. Wish it was not so expensive or better yet, I could afford one.

MandolinMan

The Sig P238 has a very nice, short SAO trigger and not too light at around 7.5 lbs.

I recently bought a new production LCP and find the trigger to be smooth and expect it to get better as it breaks in.

scsov509

I've been really impressed with Apex Tactical's products. I put Apex springs in my S&W 642 and really like how it lightened and smoothed up that trigger, and then I dropped the full Apex duty/carry kit into my Shield 9mm and absolutely love that trigger.

TailGator

I'll drop in another vote for the Sig P238. As some have said, it isn't particularly light, but it is short and fairly crisp, at the least on the two examples I have. Very nice shooter, and the trigger contributes greatly.

Schlitz 45

I have a Sig 938 & Mrs. Schlitz has a 238, both have great triggers but my Colt Mustang Pocketlite has the best of the small pistols. Also have two small Beretta’s, a Bobcat & Tomcat that are decent double acting & very good single action pulls.

tallball

My Glock 43 has a very nice trigger. The trigger on my Ruger LCR is also very good. That's probably why they're my two favorite handguns to carry.

Minorcan

Lots of possibilities; pistols, revolvers, SA, DA, SA/DA. The best trigger I have is my S&W Model 60 in SA mode. The second best are some of my 1911sall others are distant thirds.

GarandTd

What I consider a good trigger vs what you think is a good trigger vs what others think are good triggers is subjective. I also have rather limited experience and consider myself pretty adaptable. I like hammer fired actions and have really come to appreciate the safety and readiness of double action.

That said, I've really enjoyed shooting my RM380. The trigger pull is long, but smooth. Much lighter and smoother than the da pull on my full size da/sa 9mm. I haven't had any issues with short stroking and I can fire rapidly without issue. I didn't think I would dislike the rm380, but I like it much more than I expected.