Tiny groups, Remington 700 SPS Tactical? Or something else?

mellow_c

Thanks for all the great replys. Just to be clear, I dont have anything yet. My friend has the rifle/ammo combo that is shooting better than .5 MOA. I actually just talked to him, he said his best group was 3 shots, 1/3 of an inch center to center, at 100 yards using 168 grain Federal Match Gold King. Out of his Remington 700 SPS Tactical from a bench, with a bipod, and no modifications to the rifle or stock.

The 700 5R looks like a great option. It has a 24" barrel instead of the 20" of the AAC-SD. And from what I've read, the 5R will easily out shoot the normal production 700's. However the 5R does not have a threaded barrel, and at this point, I've decided that is something I want.

So maybe I'd be well served with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, with a better aftermarket stock, and depending on how the trigger turns out from the factory, I can always swap it out with a Timney... How does all that sound?

Merry Christmas!:D

Last edited:

traumajunkie

I have a 700SPS and out of the box, it would shoot around 1/2" at 100 yards on a pretty regular basis, prone, off a bipod with my reloads which basically duplicate Federal Match.

I always hated the stock, and especially the recoil pad, and just recently switched to a Bell & Carlson M40.

I had to rezero as I fiddled with the scope once I got the stock mounted. Considering I removed and replaced the scope and futzed around with it, surprisingly enough, the first three rounds looked like this, with an adjustment after each shot....

ry%3D400

The next seven went here....

ry%3D400

Out to out was a bout 3/4", with 5 rounds into under 1/2". The upper two were actually called, but I was expecting worse. I also shot that from a bench, which I usually never do, as it was muddy as hell that day at the range, and I didnt feel like flopping down in the mud. Ive always shot my best groups from prone, either off a bipod or ruck.

The target is a SR-1 replacement center and the "X" is 1 1/4" for reference.

Heres the rifle now with its new stock.

ry%3D400

Ive always had good luck with the Remington 700's. I shot these with my old box stock Remington 700 Varmint, using the same load I shot the above with. 5 rounds each group, also 100 yards.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I shot this with my box stock Savage Scout with its Leupold Scout scope, off a bipod at 100 yards. Thats a 20 round group of 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over 43.5 grains of 4064.

As much as I hear people complain about the factory Savage stocks, the couple of Savage rifles Ive owned, shot very nicely, right out of the box.

ry%3D400

Sweet Jesus I'm definitely upgrading my pos hogue stock

Molon Labe

tobnpr

So maybe I'd be well served with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD, with a better aftermarket stock, and depending on how the trigger turns out from the factory, I can always swap it out with a Timney... How does all that sound?

I'd consider sending your SPS to SAC for his accurizing package for that rifle...
Give Mark a call and discuss your rifle, and goals. I haven't done business with him personally, but his rep is stellar.

http://shortactioncustoms.com/?p=636

traumajunkie

My best group during load development with my Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD factory everything and a NC Star scope not bad for a "flimsy" stock which I want to upgrade
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356915994.282844.jpg

It's not an assault weapon it's a Modern Musket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reynolds357

The SPS is good, but is not even in the league with the Savage 12 Bench rest. At $1K nothing even remotely in the price range will shoot with the Savage. One of my friends has a Custom Shop Remington that is pretty much a $3.5K version of the SPS and he says at least once every time he is at the range "I wish I had bought a d..n Savage." My $450 Savage tactical outshoots his Custom, but he does not know it has over a grand of custom work done on it. Still, his rifle cost twice as much. My rifle wont shoot with the 12. I was going to buy a 12, but built a Baht. The 12 wont shoot with the Baht custom, but realistically it shouldn't.

mellow_c

Thanks for all the recent posts.

Thought I should let you all know... I went to one of the sportsman's warehouse stores here in Colorado just to look around... they had a few of the Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD's in stock... I looked a couple of them over. I got to dry fire one of them (but not the other, I had two guys helping me at the counter) And I really liked the trigger... Sooooo, I decided to just go for it.

It's gona be a while before I can shoot it though. I need to get a rail and rings, as well as ammo, and figure out some stuff with the scope I have.

Not only that... but here in Colorado, the wait for background checks is up to 13,000 people long!!! They figgure it might take about 2 weeks for my background check to go through. Heck, I remember buying a firearm a while ago, and I was like 2nd in line at the time, and it took about 5 min for my background check to clear.... now there are 13,000 background checks ahead of in Colorado.

That Obama... He is quite the salesman... I hope he and his friends realize that there are no returns on firearms or ammunition ;)

Thanks for all the posts folks!

KD

You can't go wrong with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical, especially given the possibility of upgrading the stock. Although you have already made the purchase, another option would have been the 700P (Police) LTR. They are hard to find. You can look at the specs on the Remingtonle (law enforcement) web site.