Time to Start an Argument

kilimanjaro

I'm in Russia, right? Sportered Mosin-Nagant in 7.62x54, should work in the Siberian winter and ammo is plentiful. Alaska, I'll pick something else.

GTlefty

A 30-06 with iron sights, and a suppressed 10/22 Charger.
Although If I had to choose, I'd trade guns for warm clothes and boots with a spear.

Justice06RR

Crash in Russia? Give me an AK with a drum mag, because ammo will be everywhere LOL.

Ok but really, i'd take a hi-cap semi-auto like an AR10/AR15 in .30cal, and and a Glock18 :D

JohnKSa

Administrator
The handgun would be something in .22LR, maybe a "kit gun" revolver. I'd only use it for dispatching downed game or maybe hunting small game.

For the rifle I can't decide. I almost think I'd rather have a shotgun than a rifle.

OttoJara

Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, and a Smith& Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel. I'd want both 357 and 38 rounds for the 686 along with a couple dozen rat shot rounds. An Eese 5 knife would be helpful too.

Rifleman1952

I agree the movie fell short of what it might have been. It would be great if a film maker who really loved hunting and the shooting sports were to make a similar movie. I'm not sure such a person exits in Hollywood.

If any of the regular posters on this forum had made that film, a firearm or firearms would have survived the crash. It would have been clearly demonstrated how hunting skill and marksmanship really could be the difference between life and death in a wilderness survival situation.

Forget that particular movie for the sake of the hypothetical question. If you were to survive a plane crash in the remote wilderness like Alaska or Canada, what handgun and rifle would you want at the ready both to obtain food and for defense against 4 or 2 legged predators?

Rebel9793

Laugh if you will but 12ga with 000 buck and a .45acp. Dont have to be a grea marksman to blow something in two with the 12ga ;)

jgcoastie

Rifle: AR-15 chambered in .458 SOCOM. And ammo... Lots of ammo in pre-loaded magazines. A red dot on top would be nice, but I could make-do with irons.

Pistol: Browning Buckmark, .22lr. There's rabbits that need eaten everywhere...

Winchester_73

H&K G3A4 ZF - H&K G3 .308 semi rifle with single position collapsible stock and a scope. Power, quality, scope for long shots and select fire.

H&K MK23 "socom" 45 pistol with all the goodies. 45 acp +P rounds. Laser sight, silencer (if needed) 12+1 capacity, excellent combat design, etc.

H&K all the way!

.22lr

Crashed in the wilderness?

Since I need to hike out:

Rifle
1) It hast to be lightweight
2) Shorter is better
3) Reliable in harsh conditions
4) Durable enough to survive a crash
5) ammunition would be a compromise between weight and volume & power
6) Sling equipped

I really don't know what fits the bill for the rifle.

Pistol
1) It hast to be lightweight
2) It should fill the gaps left by the rifle.
3) Reliable in harsh conditions
4) Durable enough to survive a crash
5) ammunition should be small enough to allow carrying a decent amount
6) carried in a quality holster

I'm leaning towards a .22lr revolver, preferable something in a lightweight material.

Then again, I'd rather have climate appropriate clothing than either a rifle or handgun.
2)

NWPilgrim

I think I would go with a .30-30 lever action rifle, and a .22LR revolver. The .458 SOCOM AR15 would be a strong contender, but I have no experience with its reliability so for what I know it would be the .30-30. I would go with Barnes copper bullet ammo.

If I have a short, handy rifle for defense and hunting then I see know need to carry a 4lb handgun and a few huge cartridges too. I would rather have a lightweight .22LR revolver with a brick of ammo. Or a G26 9mm, several loaded mags, and a .22LR conversion slide with a brick of ammo!

If weight was not a factor, that is staying in a fixed area with occasional forays, then the M1A .308 and 180gr premium ammo would be my choice. But if I have to bust brush and hump ridges for many and many a mile, then a lightweight and slim carbine like the Marlin or Winchester gets my vote. If not .30-30 then lever action in .44 Mag or .45-70 though that is getting to much larger and heavier ammo.

CajunBass

I'd want a deck of cards.

I'd deal a few hands of solitair. Before long some SOB would show up and say something like "Play the black queen on the red king."

Then I'd go out with him.

Problem solved. ;)