Time to Start an Argument

Rifleman1952

Last year there was a decent movie out called "The Grey" with Liam Neeson. It's about a hunter (Neeson) who is contracted by an oil company to protect oil workers from predators at a remote drilling site. Long story short; when the crew is flying home, the plane crashes and the story line becomes a survival in the wilderness film. To add drama, the survivors of the plane crash are stalked by an almost supernatural pack of grey wolves.

The question: If you were in a similar situation, having survived a plane crash in an extremely remote area like Siberia in Russia, what rifle and handgun would you wish you had with you? In Siberia you have some of the biggest Brown bear in the world. Siberian tigers (although rare) are the largest tigers in the world. And for the sake of lively discussion, lets say there are some hostile local humans as well. If you could have one of each, which rifle and handgun would you want both for hunting and self-defense. For me it would be a good bolt action .308 with a good scope and a 10mm semi-auto pistol.

Last edited:

Hal

I'd wish for a lot of things.....

I'd settle for whatever a couple/few of those hostile humans had.....before I relieved them of them. ;)

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Radio and a rescue helicopter is my first choice. Failing that I would settle for a 44 mag revolver, Ruger Redhawk with 240 gr SJSP bullets and a 12 gauge with rifle sights and plenty of slugs. If it has to be a rifle my old antique M71 Winchester .348 with a bucket full of handloads using FP 250 gr bullets would suffice.

Glenn E. Meyer

Liam killed the last wolf with a knife and some broken glass, IIRC. So take that also.

I like the AR-10 and a Glock 20 with hunting barrel with the rounds that the Norwegians carry for secondary bear defense.

Powderman

Hm. For a rifle, I'll take a rifle chambered in good old .30-06, in a Scout configuration--LER optic w/regular crosshairs; medium weight, and 100 rounds of heavy .30-06 ammo--180 or 200 grain soft point (probably 30 of these) and the rest in 150 grain military ball.

For a handgun, (maybe even in place of the rifle!) I'll take a .460 Smith and Wesson.

As a matter of fact, you have dual purpose here--take the .460, with a quick detach scope. 40 rounds of full-power .460; 60 rounds of .454 or heavy .45 Colt, loaded with hard cast bullets.

Eppie

I saw the movie too. My choice of weapons would be my POF 308 and my Glock 34. However, a nice sharp ax is my essential survival tool.

wayneinFL

That was an incredibly dumb movie. I actually paid movie theater prices to see it. When I got to the end, I wished that I had walked out.

AK103K

Liam killed the last wolf with a knife and some broken glass, IIRC.
I believe that was left up in the air and to the imagination.

That was an incredibly dumb movie.
I agree. It was unrealistic and simply and strictly fear/scare driven.

He did have a rifle after the crash, but its stock was broken. So what? What ever happened to improvising? Oh, wait, that wouldnt pump up the volume with the fear thing, now would it? :rolleyes:

Dwight55

An M1A would be the rifle choice, . . . probably a 1911 in either 10mm or .460 Rowland for handgun, . . . or maybe a Desert Eagle in .44 mag.

I like the M1A for everthing from chipmonks upward, . . . don't think there are too many wolves, tigers or bears than can handle a full 20 round mag of .308's and still be froggy.

May God bless,
Dwight

Hal

It was unrealistic
Now now - don't go bringing realism into things...
Otherwise, I'll have to mention that the OP said the plane crashed in Russia & in Russia all your going to have for those pistols is rubber bullets....;)

Powermwt

If we are dealing in movies and unrealistic situations I would have a phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range or maybe a phaser.

357 Python

If ammo was not an issue I would like an Alexander Arms Beowolf and a 44 Magnum revolver. In leu of the Beowolf a Sig 716 would suffice.