Time to build a monster

Jimro

Any Mauser magnum conversion will cost a penny or two if you have a gunsmith do the metalwork. Safari rifles are expensive to buy and expensive to have built, but if you do the work yourself they are fairly reasonable.

That being said most of the guys who do the work themselves have access to a large number of specialty tools that allow them to do it themselves.

Get a quote from a gunsmith about the work you want done, and if it costs more than a CZ in 416 Rigby then you have a decision to make. If you still want a custom rifle, you can always buy a CZ magnum action from Dixie Ammo Dump http://armthepopulace.com/ to build one of the longer monsters on. Also ask your smith about the exact costs of the "destructive device" (I think it is only 200 dollars, but my memory isn't 100% reliable)

I'm having my smith barrel a Turk m98 small ring in 9.3x62 which isn't a "stopping" cartridge by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a nostalgic round that meets the minimum caliber requirements for much of Africa for Buff. I plan on using it as my "heavy" rifle for everything in North America that I get a chance to hunt.

Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out!

Jimro

Bigfatts

Yeah I figured it would cost a bit to do it on a Mauser, that's why I'm leaning more towards the CZ action now. It helps that I get a discount with Brownell's too:D.

I think if I do go with a magnum action I may go for the .500 Nitro Express 3" instead of the .550 Express; less work, a more readily available cartridge and not having to register it. The Express was made to fit in a standard action, that's why it seemed such a great idea to use it with a Mauser action but the NE was my first choice and I only left it out of the running 'cuz it won't really fit in a Mauser. I don't know why the CZ didn't come to me before now... Jimro, once again you've been very helpful.

pinotguy

There are Mauser 98 actions that will readily accommodate the cartridges you've been considering. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend (and how long you want to wait). Dumoulin, Recknagel, Prechtl, among others all make Mauser Magnum actions which were designed with the Rigby and larger Weatherby cases in mind.

Geoff Timm

If you can find the Jeff Cooper article "Baby" in "Fireworks, a Gunsite Anthology" by Jeff Cooper. It is worth reading before you embark on a Heavy Rifle project.

Geoff
Who suggests you learn from the work of others.

Geoff Timm

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=50

The CZ 550 American Safari Magnum is available in .458 Lott.

Take off a few inches from the barrel, put on a ghost ring sight and a gold faced front blade, and add a magazine extension, and you'd end up with a brush gun a bit light for the caliber.

Jeff Cooper's Baby was built on the same action, only with a better rear sight, and weights 11.5 lbs. Chambed in .460 G&A which is similar to the .458 Lott.

Geoff
Who is past the age of African hunting, which he never could afford. Sigh.

Bigfatts

Thanx Geoff, I will look for that article. I know CZ makes a rifle in .458 Lott, I just want something different. You ever have the hankering to have something that few, if any, other people have? That's how I feel about this rifle. Besides, I love the excitement of a build. The 'ooh I just got this part for the rifle' and such. It's the anticipation as much as anything else.

srtrax

Sounds like some has been bit by the one of a kind gun bug. Caution is suggested, once bitten is like a vampire bite, you become one of them! There is no known cure, most mortals dont even understand the taste of custom gun blood...Its sweet, but i warned ya! Everyone should have that one gun they always dream of, but if you think one will do..:rolleyes:..then go for it.

thought I toss in a pic or 2 of my "1st" one of a kind custom...

she's like a pretty little girl, that instantly turns into a 400 lb wrestler...:D

it started life as a new Marlin 44 Mag Carbine, & the concept of "just adding a 50 cal barrel & a little tweaking of the lifting forks" turned into a gun that looks stock, but has the complete tube magazine reworked, needed some bedding blocks added, & the front furnature glass bedded just to keep it from rattling apart under recoil... loading gate & ejection port opened up & probably a few other things I've forgotten

sitting on top is one of those rare zero power scopes ;) ( sorry, had the zero power / one power scope discussion several times before )... I do know that this scope has the largest field of view of any scope I've ever seen, & can be used with both eyes open if the shooter so chooses... it's a disconinued ( listed in Cabella's catalog as a "zero power scope" Cabella's Alaskan Guide Series

the rifle was designed & built about 10 years ago ( before all the stainless lever actions came out, or the gun would hav been built on a stainless action ), & was designed to be a dangerous game gun, & readily & reliably feeds 550 grain cast bullets, with the tube holding between 8 & 12 rounds of 50 A.E. ammo depending on how big a hunk of lead is stuffed into the end of the brass & the resulting cartridge OAL...

The bottom gun in this pic... ( looks just like it did originally in 44 Magnum )
attachment.php

a couple of close ups...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

srtrax

Quote "Srtrax, welcome to my nightmare. This is not my first custom, nor will it be my last I'm sure."

My kind of people...SWEET DREAMS

Bigfatts

Oh, I know it will be oodles of time and money, but the anticipation is part of the fun. I gave a fleeting thought to the No 1 but I have never really been fond of Ruger in general (although I had a Mini 14 and liked it) and I don't think I would be quick enough to reload a single shot dangerous game rifle in a stressful situation. Thanx for the tip though.

Oh Magnum Wheel Man, I forgot to say earlier but that's a nice Marlin you got there.

Thanks BIG... the top gun in my 1st pic is my "Safari" single shot... it's a tight Martini tropical action barreled with a shortened chamber light weight hex 458Win Mag barrel... the chamber is shortened to 45-70, but with the twist rate more favorable to heavy bullets... it's custom fitted with a set of 3 leaf safari sights, & I'm still working on regulating the sights to 50 yards 100 yards & 150 yards with a heavy cast bullet load...

BTW... the middle one in that pic is a bit "looser gun" but safely chambered in 50-70 Gov.

pinotguy

I think if I do go with a magnum action I may go for the .500 Nitro Express 3" instead of the .550 Express; less work, a more readily available cartridge and not having to register it. The Express was made to fit in a standard action, that's why it seemed such a great idea to use it with a Mauser action but the NE was my first choice and I only left it out of the running 'cuz it won't really fit in a Mauser.

In re-reading this thread, it dawned on me that there will be some major problems trying to fit a large, rimmed cartridge like the 500 NE into a CZ-550 action. I know Mauser's have been chambered in rimmed cartridges, specifically the Siamese version/8x52R. Mauser had to completely redesign the bottom metal to accommodate the rimmed cartridge though. Their solution was to develop an angled mag. box which allowed the rimmed cartridges to fit and feed properly. I doubt that a Siamese Mauser would be able to handle a cartridge as large as the 500 NE.

Bigfatts

Yeah, I expect some issues with the rimmed cartridge but I don't think it will be all that bad. I know a couple of guys that have built .45-70 Mausers so I figure they can help guide me through the feeding bits. And who knows, the NE may lose out to another cartridge before it's over, I've already changed my mind twice. :D