Time for inventory during "shortage"

zeke

Well got worried enough to take some stock inventory so could determine any possible upcoming needs in the projectile department. Especially seeing how memory ain't getting any better with age.

Wasn't so worried after determining had about 10,000 38 caliber bullets (not loads) on hand, with over 3000 being jhp's. Somewhat amused at some of the prices on the boxs.

Got tired, and didn't even start on the 45 caliber bullets.

BJung

As far as the projectile department is concerned, I took up casting. I have 35lbs of lead for just 9mm alone. I can do the same for .38, .40, and .45. With some harder lead I'll be set for casting rifle bullets.

RC20

I stocked up and good but when I added the 6.5 x 47 I had to go beg primers from my brother (he has a munitions plant almost!)

I need to inventory my 223 and 9mm bullets. I am going to make a killing selling them as soon as I get my two shots!

I can not hand load a better than the Golden Sabre shoots in the 9mm (not even close, the 9mm loves that round).

GS cost too much and I don't care on spot on accuracy for practice shooting.

I quite 223 some time back, got far too many of those tiny things laying around.

rc

My stock of components is nowhere as large as yours but I ordered some extra 125 grain 38 bullets when they showed up in bulk at decent prices months ago. In a pinch those same bullets may be applicable to 9mm as long as the loaded rounds fit the chamber. I know some will jump on me and start talking about how horribly dangerous this sounds but the difference between .357, .356, .355 are generally so small that the bore swages the bullets to the correct diameter. The chamber dimensions is really the limiting factor. Many handguns using common .355 bullets have bores as small as .354. 38 super pistols have 9mm barrels but many will run with handloads loaded with .357 bullets. Many 9mm or 9mm largo pistols will run with .357 bullets too. As with any loads, work up. In a pinch 9mm bullets could be loaded in 38 special and 357 cases if the correct expander and taper crimp is used but there is more risk doing so if the bullet jumps the crimp during recoil and ties up the gun so it should only be done in desperation with modest loads. As with any reloading practice, take what I've said with a grain of salt, verify what I've said independently and if you want to try a different sized bullet than normal, work up with caution. The risk of substitutions is lowest with pure lead and plated bullets. I have some rather lackluster .357 planted bullets that don't work well in .357 waiting for me to run a batch of 38 super.

Reloadron

I know that feeling. I have boxes of 5,000 CCI BR2 and BR4 bench rest primers I was selling during the early to mid 90s with a $75 price tag so they likely cost me about $50 to $60. Sierra 168 and 180 grain match .30 Cal I was selling for $18 a box of 100. Then I found boxes of lead bullets in assorted pistol calibers. Likely enough stuff to last me a lifetime.

Ron

wjhenderson

I started casting 2-3 years ago. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. Now to find maybe one more wheel-weight supply and hope that at least 30% are lead instead of iron.

Reloadron

I started casting 2-3 years ago. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. Now to find maybe one more wheel-weight supply and hope that at least 30% are lead instead of iron.
Casting is something I wish I had gotten into but never did. Have friends with 200 and 300 Lbs of lead just for rolling their own bullets. Come the day cast may be all we have.

Ron

Road_Clam

With over 93,000 rounds worth of reloading component inventory, i got tired of guessing and created several Excel spreadsheets. No more guessing, and its the perfect way to track my components and keep all my inventory "balanced" . What was happening years ago is i would have 9000 lg rifle primers but only 6000 bullets that accept lg rifle primers, and so on.

zeke

With over 93,000 rounds worth of reloading component inventory, i got tired of guessing and created several Excel spreadsheets. No more guessing, and its the perfect way to track my components and keep all my inventory "balanced" . What was happening years ago is i would have 9000 lg rifle primers but only 6000 bullets that accept lg rifle primers, and so on.
Hopefully this is the plan, just not advanced enough for spreadsheet. Did find shortage of 9mm 115 fmj and Sierra 168 hpbt's. Have been distracted for over a year.

Last edited:

rc

There is one thing about lead for casting......
If you have a private range and shoot in the same place all the time, the lead can mostly be reclaimed in time including from 22s. Strain and wash the range scrap.

Heating a pile of scrap to melting point is not difficult. Lead can be melted over a wood fire or propane burner. You need a large iron pot used for nothing else. Then you need a steel spoon and safe place to dispose of the slag with good ventilation. Once you have lead alloy whatever it is add some tin soldier to make it harder. Don't mix in zinc wheel weights as they will ruin your batch. A neighbors estate sold recently and up for grabs was some scrap lead. I saved it. Casting is not hard, it just takes TIME. I could see this all coming back in the 90s and started collecting casting equipment. I've used it here and there. When push comes to shove, I will again. My lee pot works OK. I have lyman and rcbs molds only now. The lee ones are not very good. I also gave up on the lee push through sizers and got an rcbs lubsizer machine.

BJung

When I was young I watched a show on television about these Africans hunting. The documentary said that they killed 6 large animals with the same bullet as you watched them melt the lead and recast it.. I said to myself, "cool!"

Shadow9mm

I did inventory the other day. More than I expected, but not nearly what I was hoping for, given how long I am anticipating this shortage to go on.

Kirrich

I keep a running inventory and when I go out shooting, when I return home, I subtract how much I used. When I purchase more ammo, I add it to the totals of each caliber that I keep in stock. I have a ammo stock file on my laptop and print it out, keeping a copy in the safe.
I don't have to re-count everything once a year or whenever.
At my age, I doubt if I will ever go through it all, but my sons and G'daughter will enjoy it.

Shadow9mm

I keep a running inventory and when I go out shooting, when I return home, I subtract how much I used. When I purchase more ammo, I add it to the totals of each caliber that I keep in stock. I have a ammo stock file on my laptop and print it out, keeping a copy in the safe.
I don't have to re-count everything once a year or whenever.
At my age, I doubt if I will ever go through it all, but my sons and G'daughter will enjoy it.
That's my goal, to have enough to pass a whole lot on to my kids and theirs some day.

Longshot4

I have plenty of components for nicety use. I will have plenty for the rest of my life if I don't play with it to much. I refuse to hoard it. Although that is in the eye of the beholder. And so is beauty.

Reloadron

Just like the last shortage I keep hearing the word "hoarding" tossed around. So I get to wondering... In the fable the grasshopper and the ant was the ant hoarding? How about the little red hen, was she hoarding? Wondering about that as I dig stuff out and get a handle on what I actually have.

Ron

jetinteriorguy

Being ready for what you know is coming based on past experiences is not hoarding, it’s preparing. I’m an old Boy Scout and the motto says ‘Be Prepared’.