Time for a new one...

Kevin_d77

I'm bored and I think it's time for a new range toy. I already have a Sig P220, XD40 and the steel Baby Eagle 9 so I have the three main calibers. I should be inheriting an old Colt 1911 so no need to buy that model. Out of all three, I really enjoy the baby eagle 9 the most, but the wife has claimed that one. Matter of fact, tonight she just said "I was thinking, now that I feel more comfortable with that one gun, maybe I should keep it bedside." oh man.....

So I think maybe another 9mm is in order as a cost effective range toy. I was looking at the XDM9 in 5.25" barrel. The CZ75 intrigues me, but I understand that it is mighty similar to eagle in design.then part of me is thinking of just getting a Shield since that may end up being my carry piece eventually. How does everyone feel about the Sig 2022? Pretty cheap right now....

So I'm open to suggestions. Really looking for an enjoyable shooting 9mm.

sigarms228

IMO the SIG SP2022 is a fantastic pistol and about the best buy there is right now for a quality 9MM pistol.

If you get a chance check out the Walther PPQ also though they are getting hard to find due to very high demand.

There are a ton of other choices out there also.

As always it is best for YOU to actually try out whatever you are considering.

Good luck!

Target below shot at 10 yards offhand.

sp2011112611a.jpg

Kevin_d77

I just noticed the CZ75 has a compact versions too, but it still weighs a ton....hmmm...

Yea, I need to go feel up some guns for sure. Heard the Sig's mags are like $50+ which is depressing in itself.

So the PPQ is a nice gun too huh?

i have all the 9's mentioned (as well as a few others). my least favorite is the sp2022. the cz is probably the best shooter of the 4, but it is very similar in design to the baby eagle. if you get the cz pcr, it's made of a lighter alloy frame than the standard cz compact. anything still weighs a ton tho, once you put in 13 rounds of 9mm. the ppq is by far the best shooting striker fire i have ever experienced. it's ergonomics and trigger far surpass the xdm. i have it in 9mm, but if it was offered in 45, i would have one to replace my xdm 45 as my truck gun. my favorite shooters are still da/sa or sa only.

another option to add to your list is the sti spartan v. it's pretty much just a range toy, since it only has a single stack mag in a full size gun, but it is an absolute joy to shoot.

if you plan to carry it, the ppq and its little brother the pps are phenomenal. i usually carry one or the other depending upon what i'm wearing. if you can get a hold of a hk psp in decent shape, those are really cool. not the best range toy, but a very unique, very accurate weapon.

if you decide you want another sig, i have a brand new p229 enhance elite 40 with e2 grips and night sights for $800 shipped (accidental gunbroker purchase) or a used p226 german manufacture 9mm for $550 shipped.

Last edited:

TennJed

Think outside the box and look at a Ruger Blackhwk convertable revolver in 9mm and 357mag.

SA revolvers are serious fun and seriously accurate. You get your 9mm but the added bonus of 357mag and 38sp

This is my convertable in 45lc/45acp

7688293906_a79f685099_z.jpg

Kevin_d77

A P226 for $550 shipped? Heard that's a lovely gun. And as primarily range and night stand duty, weight doesn't really matter...

it was logged as a grade B police trade in. most of the police trade ins you see from germany are grade D. only reason it's grade b is the holster wear near the muzzle. no rust of any kind.

haggled my way down to $600 plus tax a few hundred rounds ago. still shoot the heads off of daisies from 20ft.

Last edited:
i'll have to check on how many mags. 1 or 2. 15 round capacity. pm me if you decide you are interested. great gun. only reason i'm selling it is because i have a newer fancier uspsa version.

IMG_20120222_211524.jpg

Dashunde

You mentioned the XDM9 in 5.25", that made me think of the Glock 34 (also 5+ inches)
The 34 probably costs less and would have lots of aftermarket bits available to personalize it into a great range toy.

Kevin_d77

I read up on the Glock but still have my eye on the XDM since I currently own another Springfield.

Anyone have anything to say about any of the FN guns?

when i was looking for my 45, the fn and the xdm were the two i was looking at since they both had very high capacity. i just liked the xdm better.

Zhillsauditor

I am a CZ guy, but the PPQ is my favorite striker fired pistol. However, with three automatics, I'd suggest you add some revolvers to your collection. I'm partial to s&w, but I also have a colt in 22lr and a ruger single ten.

Nothing like sitting in front of a tv watching The Good, The Bad & The Ugly while twirlin' your colt six shooter. :)

Kevin_d77

Dan, forgot to mention.....why so angry with the daisies??? You mention above that you were executing daisies at 20yds.....

I kinda like the look of the FN guns but my LGS didn't have any last time i was there. I was really leaning towards a CZ but the design is copied by my eagle so it seems like it would be a waste.

Corona, I didn't really want to add another caliber to the mix since I already have 9, 40 and 45. If I were to drop one it would probably be 45 but as I am supposed to inherit a 1960's Colt 1911, I guess I am keeping my Sig and the .45. I just enjoy shooting my XD too much to ditch the .40 for now.

Kevin_d77

Funny you mention revolvers, I saw a review on tv about the S&W Governor and it seemed like such a wild gun that it was slightly appealing!

I'm still interested in a CZ but not sure which one. There is a good price on a P-07 online and Cz compact seemed interesting.

Last edited: