Time for a new Idea...

Tallest

I really can't say enough about the .280AI. What you're talking about building, those components, intended weight, multi-platform use... that would be ideal!

I know how we tend to feel about gun rags, they say anything to help sell stuff. But the Dec 2020 - Jan 2021 Shooting Times did a write-up on the 280AI, and it makes some good points about where the 7mm bullets outshine the .277s and .308s. I hand load for mine, so I don't really care about there factory ammo analysis (who would this year?!), but the potential of this round makes me think it ought to be more popular than the Creedmoor.

Anyway... I'll let it go at that. I acknowledge that what I like may not be what you like, and I am still wholeheartedly glad that we are each so free to choose, and choose from so many options.

GeauxTide

The Magpul Hunter comes in LA, meets your adjustable comb criteria and it adjusts LOP. I have two in 308 and 243. I have ER Shaw Barrels in 243, 6.5-06, and 300 HAM'R. They shoot .25 to .50 all day long. I had my 6.5-06 throated for 140 Hornady, seated to the neck/shoulder junction and I get 2935 in 24". The case dimensions are exactly 30-06, so brass is plentiful.

kilotanker22

Any reason not to consider a lighter recoil, flat shooting 6mm cartridge? Of your original list I would say you will likely be very happy with the 5 HD. I'm not a fan of synthetics in rifles--I'd stick with a solid SS barrel with precision bore and rifling cutting and polishing. Same with stocks, I prefer good old wood with a precision pillar and bedding job done, though I also like solid aluminum modular chassis like the MDT for their drop-in simplicity.
If this was a short action I would consider 6x47 Lapua or 6mm Creedmoor. Although, I can say that the 240 Weatherby has been calling my name for years now. The biggest reason for the .284 diameter is the number of choices available, Efficient High BC bullets, and still have enough power to comfortably take game larger than whitetail and black bear.

The reason for the carbon barrel is to keep the weight down. A barrel in the contour and length that I want will put the overall weight of this rifle way over what I am trying to keep it under.

Nathan

. A barrel in the contour and length that I want will put the overall weight of this rifle way over what I am trying to keep it under.

Please consider a #3 of #4 or maybe a shorter #5. These will get you a reasonable weight in proven match grade SS technology. Not fancy, but most barrel makers would be more comfortable predicting accuracy of an unmolested SS barrel than a carbon wrapped one. It is just more of a sure thing.

taylorce1

kilotanker22 said:
The stock weighs 28 ounces, scope weighs 19 OZ. I am guessing that the Proof Carbon barrel 26" Sendero contour will weigh in around 3-4 pounds? Bipod weighs about a pound.

I am hoping to have this rifle weigh less than 9 or so pounds completely field ready.

You're not going to make it with those numbers.

Stock 28oz
Scope 19 oz
Barrel 48 oz
Bipod 16 oz

total weight of just that is 7lbs

Remington 700 BDL action complete with trigger, magazine, alloy bottom metal, and actions screws weighs 2.5 lbs, then add in about another 3 ounces for talley light weight mounts, that puts you at almost 9.75 lbs. Add a sling and ammuntiton you've pushed yourself over 10 lbs. You can build a sub 9 lbs .280 AI but you're going to have to be even more selective with your parts and willing to pay to get there. Even going with Proof Research Light Sendero contour at 26" long will still push you over the 9 lb goal.

Here is my experience with lightweight builds. Number one, to keep a rifle ready to hunt under 9 lbs you have to start with a bare rifle 6 lbs or less. Number two, you can't build a custom light rifle as cheaply as you can buy a production rifle from Kimber, Cooper, Barrett, SAVAGE and etc....

The way I look at it you're a minimum $1700 in your current build, $300 blue print action and remove barrel, $700 Proof research barrel, $600 VG2 stock, $100 miscellaneous expenses. I didn't even include the price of getting a Proof barrel installed or made into a Remage barrel, threading the muzzle for a brake, or adding a different trigger. That will push you over the $2K mark before metal coatings/bluing, scope, and mounts.

The only way you're going to stay under 9 lbs with your current build, is to scrap the M700 action and go with a M700 or Custom Ti action. That's the only way to stay under 9lbs in your current configuration. If you buy a custom Pierce Ti action it'll run you $1300 but save you a pound of weight vs. the M700 action you have.

Building light weight is all about compromise. You either compromise your wallet! Or you compromise the things you thought you needed, such as a sub 9 lb ready to hunt rifle. Either way getting a new rifle is a fun process.

kilotanker22

You're not going to make it with those numbers.

Stock 28oz
Scope 19 oz
Barrel 48 oz
Bipod 16 oz

total weight of just that is 7lbs

Remington 700 BDL action complete with trigger, magazine, alloy bottom metal, and actions screws weighs 2.5 lbs, then add in about another 3 ounces for talley light weight mounts, that puts you at almost 9.75 lbs. Add a sling and ammuntiton you've pushed yourself over 10 lbs. You can build a sub 9 lbs .280 AI but you're going to have to be even more selective with your parts and willing to pay to get there. Even going with Proof Research Light Sendero contour at 26" long will still push you over the 9 lb goal.

Here is my experience with lightweight builds. Number one, to keep a rifle ready to hunt under 9 lbs you have to start with a bare rifle 6 lbs or less. Number two, you can't build a custom light rifle as cheaply as you can buy a production rifle from Kimber, Cooper, Barrett, SAVAGE and etc....

The way I look at it you're a minimum $1700 in your current build, $300 blue print action and remove barrel, $700 Proof research barrel, $600 VG2 stock, $100 miscellaneous expenses. I didn't even include the price of getting a Proof barrel installed or made into a Remage barrel, threading the muzzle for a brake, or adding a different trigger. That will push you over the $2K mark before metal coatings/bluing, scope, and mounts.

The only way you're going to stay under 9 lbs with your current build, is to scrap the M700 action and go with a M700 or Custom Ti action. That's the only way to stay under 9lbs in your current configuration. If you buy a custom Pierce Ti action it'll run you $1300 but save you a pound of weight vs. the M700 action you have.

Building light weight is all about compromise. You either compromise your wallet! Or you compromise the things you thought you needed, such as a sub 9 lb ready to hunt rifle. Either way getting a new rifle is a fun process.
I do have another Action I can build onto. I have a Ruger American Go Wild in 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't think I will get there with this one either. As it sits in a Boyds AT One stock, Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50, Vortex Medium rings, Bipod, AICS Bottom Metal and a 10 round steel MDT AICS Magazine it weighs 10.8 pounds. With a lighter stock, Lighter Optic, and Lighter barrel I might just get to 9.5 pounds or so.

Although, As you stated I could probably buy a lightweight rifle already setup with most of what I want for less money. For Example, Savage 110 Ultralite in 280 AI 22" Proof barrel weighs in at 5.8 pounds.

This Remington 700 in 270 Win as it sits with a Sig Saur Whiskey 3 3-9x scope weighs 7.8 pounds with optic.

kilotanker22

I may just change out the stock on this Remington 700 to start with. The chamber is tight, barrel shoots pretty well. I feel like If I eliminated the pressure points in the fore end it would also eliminate the fliers I get. As you can imagine, a sporter barrel and 270 Win get pretty warm after 5 shots.

taylorce1

Changing out the stock is never a bad place to start. I really wouldn't recommend the Savage Ultralight as the best option. Their stocks are still the same injection molded budget stocks, and I really don't know of anyone building a lightweight composite stock for a Savage rifle anymore. McMillan only does magnum fill for Savage rifles, Manners doesn't make a stock for a Savage LA, maybe MPI?

kilotanker22

Before I buy a new stock for the Model 700, I decided to float the barrel. I was concerned that I would have to bed the action and reinforce the fore end to prevent touching, but even on a bipod it makes no contact. Groups definitely improved.

Right now I am trying to decide if I want a new stock or a new Trigger first. I am thinking Timney Calvin Elite. I would really like to keep the weight down, but it seems it won't happen by the tie I have adjustable length of pull and comb height. My Boyds AT one weighs over 3 pounds I think. So for this rifle I think a going to go with a Magpul stock..

I have decided that I want one of the following actions to start my custom lightweight build.

https://terminusactions.com/product/apollo-lite-ti/

http://www.curtiscustom.com/product/axiom-hybrid/

These actions are very similar.
Instead of loang action I might just build a 7mm wsm or 6.5 PRC.

taylorce1

kilotanker22 said:
I have decided that I want one of the following actions to start my custom lightweight build.

https://terminusactions.com/product/apollo-lite-ti/

http://www.curtiscustom.com/product/axiom-hybrid/

I've been hunting the last week and hadn't stopped by. Those actions are a good start on a light build. I like the Pierce TI action a little better from a design stand point. Instead of a "Port" the top of the action is completely open allowing for easier top loading of ammunition, especially if you aren't using a removable magazine. Just something to consider in your planning phase, and runs about the same price.

dakota.potts

Just something to throw out there for thought;
I have been to a lot of stores lately looking at what kind of ammo they have in stock. Shelves are about empty as you know. Even lots of common rifle calibers are now gone.

Two things I have seen in stock nearly everywhere I have gone: .300 Win Mag and 6mm Creedmoor.

My best guess? .300 Win Mag stopped being popular when steel and paper shooters realized they could get the same ballistics with considerably less recoil, and Hornady over produced to support their new 6mm Creedmoor cartridge and demand has not caught up to their oversupply as so many shooters are stuck on the 6.5.

Just something to think about if you're going to be reliant on factory ammo. Even reloading supplies are somewhat scarce currently.

stagpanther

Two things I have seen in stock nearly everywhere I have gone: .300 Win Mag and 6mm Creedmoor.

My best guess? .300 Win Mag stopped being popular when steel and paper shooters realized they could get the same ballistics with considerably less recoil, and Hornady over produced to support their new 6mm Creedmoor cartridge and demand has not caught up to their oversupply as so many shooters are stuck on the 6.5.

Just something to think about if you're going to be reliant on factory ammo. Even reloading supplies are somewhat scarce currently.
Sheer coincidence would be my guess--next panic they will be the ones you can't find.;)

kilotanker22

Just something to throw out there for thought;
I have been to a lot of stores lately looking at what kind of ammo they have in stock. Shelves are about empty as you know. Even lots of common rifle calibers are now gone.

I rarely use factory ammunition. Generally only to acquire brass. In my local area, 350 Legend, 243 WIN and 30-06 are about all that is available.