Time for a new Idea...

kilotanker22

So Much like some others around this forum, the winter slows my shooting a great deal. In my spare time over the next 4-5 months I think it is time for a new project.

I have a Remington 700 ADL in 270 Win. After rifle season my intention is to tear it apart and begin building something. Philosophy of use will be Tactical, PRS, Long range Precision etc.

Budget is not much of a concern this time. I will spend the money to obtain quality parts, although I intend to perform all of the work myself. Except for truing the bolt face and the action as I do not have the tool to perform these tasks myself.

Barrel will be a Remage barrel. Considering criterion or preferred barrels. Open to others.

Trigger will be any good quality trigger that I can set to around 1.5 pounds.

For the stock I really don't know what direction I want to go. Adjustable comb is a necessity for me. Have not decided between a synthetic type with aluminum block or or a wood stock and then finishing the inletting and installing pillars before glass bedding it.

So let's talk ideas on Caliber for standard long action, stocks and barrels. So far ai have considered keeping it 270 Win with a faster twist barrel to stabilize the 170 grain Berger bullet. Or going with 280 AI

kilotanker22

For an Optic I am considering either a Leupold Mark 5HD or an Arken Optics EP-4. From all reviews and accounts I have been able to find. Arken Optics seem to be comparable to much more expensive optics at les than half the price. Warranty is excellent to boot.

Nathan

Frankly, I would leave the try, thread, chamber and install to a pro. I would pillar bed it in a Boyd’s laminate or a B&C stock. I would add a Triggertech or Timney trigger.

For calibers, 6.5 Creedmor, 6.5-06AI, 6mm creedmoor, 280AI would all be good rounds.

stagpanther

I tried the 280 AI and we just didn't hit it off.:D Not my cup of tea I decided, but I still have a "hole" for high performance long range .284 that I want to be filled (need might be stretching the truth) and i'm now eyeing the 7mm STW.

std7mag

First off, which bolt face do you have?

Standard bolt face, straight 284, or 284 Shehan.
Magnum bolt face, if it were me, 7mm LRM.

6.5 being the sweetheart, was so two years ago. :rolleyes:
Depending on wind, the heavier 7mm are faring better than the 6.5s, and less recoil than the 30s.
The 190 Berger Hybrid is reportedly doing very well! Already tipped from Berger. BC variation of less than 1%.

Trigger, for me would be a Timney.
Stock is purely personal preference.

stagpanther

if it were me, 7mm LRM.
So a 375 ruger case basically--like the PRC? Gotta ask, how much of a barrel burner is it? 7mm is one of those that you can only push so fast before it shakes and bakes your barrel.

old roper

kilotanker22, I shoot 280AI with 27" barrel. I also have 270Wby on Rem action and I've shoot some Berger 170gr.

I've done 30x280AI and been thinking about 270 on 280AI case. I've already neck down some Peterson 280AI case.

If you want I'll send you some Peterson new brass and few Berger 180gr/168gr. Other choice would be 284 on long action and mine has 27" and I'm mid 3000fps with 160's and less recoil. Lapua going to be making 284.

Just PM your address and I'll get it out this week.

Last edited:

Tallest

My rifle of 2020 has been a 280AI. I find it to be entirely my cup of tea. ;) As such I would recommend it. I find it to be extremely well balanced for the standard long(almost magnum) cartridges. I have a 24" barrel, but it would be interesting to see what it would do with 26" or 27". Mine is a hunting rifle, not a tactical or PRS setup. So I don't shoot anything heavier than 160s normally. But I think a 27" running a 1:8.5" twist would be just about ideal for PRS.

kilotanker22

First off, which bolt face do you have?

Standard bolt face, straight 284, or 284 Shehan.
Magnum bolt face, if it were me, 7mm LRM.

6.5 being the sweetheart, was so two years ago. :rolleyes:
Depending on wind, the heavier 7mm are faring better than the 6.5s, and less recoil than the 30s.
The 190 Berger Hybrid is reportedly doing very well! Already tipped from Berger. BC variation of less than 1%.

Trigger, for me would be a Timney.
Stock is purely personal preference.
Standard bolt face.

I am thinking a 7mm flavor. I already have two 6.5 rifles

T. O'Heir

Hodgdon's site shows data for a 180 using the standard 1 in 10 twist. Don't think you really need a faster twist.
I wouldn't bother with any barrel that isn't a match grade barrel though. Decide on how heavy you want the thing. However, that Berger bullet is a hunting bullet. Doesn't need a match grade barrel.
Bartlein barrels are supposedly the current 'most popular'. They start at $355. Fluting is 100% decorative. That's a $135 option from Bartlein.
"...do not have the tool..." That'd be 'tools', plural. You have a barrel vice and Rem M700 action wrench?
"...Tactical, PRS, Long range Precision..." That'd be several rifles. Think in terms of 'tool for the job'.
"...1.5 pounds..." That is far too light for any cf rifle. Moreso with a hunting rifle. Touch the trigger, at any time, and it'll go off.
"...installing pillars before glass bedding..." Pillars are a type of bedding. They don't require fibreglas bedding. The difference is with pillars, you're literally lifting the barreled action out of the stock. Vs glass bedding that makes the barreled action and stock more of a single piece thing. Ain't the same and it ain't both. It's one or the other. Which one doesn't matter much either.

std7mag

The 7mm LRM has more capacity than a 7mm Rem Mag, but not as much as a RUM.

7mm-08AI?
I was pushing 140gr bullets at 2,916 fps with RL17. 2,832 fps with H414 & Alliant PP2000MR.
Those were accuracy nodes, not max charge, and with a 22" barrel.

I'm attempting to build one on a Savage target action with 30" heavy barrel.
Should be able to push the 160gr Sierra Tipped MatchKing 2,800 fps comfortably.
Now if great deals on scopes and other rifles would stop... :rolleyes:

kilotanker22

I am leaning heavily toward the 280 AI. The heavy 175-180 grain bullets launched between 2700-2800 fps should be great for hunting pretty much anything in North America and should provide good ballistics at long range

stagpanther

I am leaning heavily toward the 280 AI. The heavy 175-180 grain bullets launched between 2700-2800 fps should be great for hunting pretty much anything in North America and should provide good ballistics at long range
Your "plane Jane" 284 win is a nice moderate recoil way of sending 7mm's reasonably long and accurately, I found the step up to 280 AI involved ramping up of pressures and recoil force--but whatever.;)

Last edited:

jpx2rk

I have both a Boyds AT-1 stock and a Pro Varmint stock with adjustable cheek riser, both are solid and comfy for my purposes. Both are shot of a bench, the AT-1 would be more suited for the field than the Pro Varmint IMO. The Pro Varmint is a good bench stock with a wider forearm than the AT-1.

I bedded the AT-1 stock but had to remove alot of material in the barrel channel as I replaced the stock pencil barrel with a varmint profile barrel in 6x45. Didn't leave a lot of stock material on the edge where stock and barrel meet, but works for the 6x45 caliber. The Pro Varmint has more material in the forearm area but is probably a bit heavier stock as well now with all the changes.

kilotanker22

About 1 MOA. Shoots three touching then drifts to the right with the next two shots. I bought this rifle with the intention of using the action to build onto.

Pretty sure I am going to lean more lightweight Hunting/Match rifle style. I am considering a Stocky's Carbon Fiber VG2 stock and a Proof Research Carbon wrapped barrel and a Timney two stage 1.5-3# trigger. To keep the weight down a little I will switch from the Arken EP4 to the Vortex Razor HD LHT saving nearly a pound of weight on the optic alone.

The stock weighs 28 ounces, scope weighs 19 OZ. I am guessing that the Proof Carbon barrel 26" Sendero contour will weigh in around 3-4 pounds? Bipod weighs about a pound.

I am hoping to have this rifle weigh less than 9 or so pounds completely field ready. I am also considering chambering the rifle for 280AI, keeping it 270 Win or possibly even 30-06

stagpanther

Any reason not to consider a lighter recoil, flat shooting 6mm cartridge? Of your original list I would say you will likely be very happy with the 5 HD. I'm not a fan of synthetics in rifles--I'd stick with a solid SS barrel with precision bore and rifling cutting and polishing. Same with stocks, I prefer good old wood with a precision pillar and bedding job done, though I also like solid aluminum modular chassis like the MDT for their drop-in simplicity.

Last edited: