Tikka versus Savage

garyhan

I own both, and they are both good. My vote goes to the Tikka. Smoother action, better fit and finish.

gary

taylorce1

I agree the Tikka is a better firearm as far as how it is put together as a final product. The only reason I see to pick a Savage over the Tikka is if you want a short action caliber. All Tikka's are built on a standard long action and the magazine is different for the short action cartridges.

Both are capable of amazing groups but really the guarantee doesn't mean squat for me in the Tikka. The shooter has to be capable of producing sub 1" groups. If the shooter can't shoot then that entire guarantee means nothing.

Most factory rifles are more capable of producing excellent groups out of the box, more so than the shooter pulling the trigger.

imacanuk

I pick Tikka. My only savage is a 22LR, and even though it shoots nicely, it is a bit 'rough' to look at. My Tikka [T3 Hunter] looks nicer, has better balance and is a much more refined rifle.

Horseman

Owned multiples of both over the years. I'd take a Tikka over the Salvage. There's just something cheap feeling about the Salvage two piece bolt and overall feel.

Rattlehead

I'd take the Tikka - in fact I did... :D

That's not to say the savage isn't an excellent rifle, but the Tikka to me felt like it was better constructed and the Tikka's trigger felt better to me when I dry fired them.

snipecatcher

I own both. If you are the type who just buys a rifle and shoots it as is, the Tikka can't be beat for the price. If you like to tinker with things, the Savage is very easy to work on and you can even change barrels in your home with a couple of wrenches. The Tikka has a smooth action, but the "stainless" isn't very weatherproof, and will rust just the same as a blued gun.
-Dan

Bagmup

I was told all "stainless" barrels will rust due to the fact that it's very low grade stainless steel because the good stuff has to much "hardness" when it comes to manufacture, rifling especially.

elkman06

I too own and have owned both. I just drove 6hrs(roundtrip) to purchase a 40yr old, never been fired Tikka. The only Savage I would do that for would be a Savage 99. I wouldn't do that for a 110 or its' variant.. my vote goes Tikka......
elkman06