Tikka versus Savage

roy reali

I have been eyeing Savage rifles for awhile. One of these days I am going to take the plunge and get one. However, I have been hearing great feedback on Tikka rifles. They even come with an accuracy guarantee.

I want to hear from shooters that have experience with one or both of these rifles. I see that the Tikka is a few bucks more, which I wouldn't mind spending for better quality.

Will folks that have actual, first-hand experience with these rifles respond.

csmsss

I don't know anything about Tikka rifles, having never handled one, and I'm sure that accuracy guarantee is awesome, but my Savage 16 came with an accuracy reality. And I'm very, very far from being an exceptional case.

viking499

Never had a Savage. People say they shoot good. What Savages I have handled, I just never could get used to the feel of the trigger. I guess each to there own......

I do have 2 Tikkas. Both easily shoot under 1" with factory ammo. I don't pay any attention to everyone fussing about the plastic mags. I have heard many people complain because they are plastic, but have not heard of one breaking yet. If you look, you can find extra mags worth the money.

More people will tell you to go with the Savage, due to more people owning a Savage than Tikka and the aftermarket availability. Both are good rifles.

You could do a lot worse than either one of these............

MO. Shootin

My dad, my brother and one of my best friends have all had a Tikka in 270wsm and they all shoot great. Under 1" at 100yds with reloads. Reloads is what we always shoot.

My cousin has a 223 Savage and it shoots great with factory ammo. I only tried one box of 223 shells but it shot good can't remember specifics.

Then My 2 buddies both have a Savage bull barrel 22-250 and they shoot really good. Under 1" for sure

I guess what I am saying is I don't think you can go wrong with either.:)

Bagmup

Sighted in my Savage 116 7mm rem mag today, i wish i had a photo to upload but it shot a .50 moa 3 shot group at 100m with Federal Ballistic tip 150 grain.
Accustock and Accutrigger are great.

sdj

Tikka / Savage: both fine, just different

Also an owner of both: I prefer the Tikkas. I find the Savage is solid, well made and acurate (as is the Tikka). I find the Tikka just as solid, but more polished: the aesthetics of the Tikka exceed those of the Savage (for guns in about the same price range). The bolt action of the Tikka is smoother, more polished. I find the stocks of the Tikkas (polymer) very well made: they resist dirt, oils and scratches quite readily. They are all fine, but for me, Tikka has the edge in aesthetics.

If you'd like a Savage in .308, I have one for sale, here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408212&highlight=sdj

Price negotiable, of course. :)

Regards.

mananer

I have a Savage 12fvss in 22-250 AI and a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06.IMHO,they are both amazingly accurate rifles,I could not actually pick which is more so. Both are a joy to shoot, i had a brake put on the Tikka which probably helps the recoil alot, I can't really say as I 've never shot it without the brake,the main reason I put it there is I thought it would look really cool,lol. Sub MOA on any given day is not even a question from these rifles, more often than not it is around .5-.75 moa. If I were to purchase a new firearm I would definately look a both but frankly the Savage is less expensive with the same results and I could use the saved money to go toward the Leupold to mount on it.

Ifishsum

I have fired several examples of both rifles and believe them to be pretty much equal in terms of accuracy and quality. I do prefer Savage rifles for a couple of personal reasons, but if I could not get a Savage in a certain configuration then the Tikka would likely be my next choice (primarily based on accuracy).

Woodyed

I have 6 Tikka rifles and will probably buy more. Most of them are the Hunter model which is the wood stocked version. I can highly recommend the Tikka line not only for their accuracy, but also their workmanship is top-notch. Tikka rifles have the smoothest bolt action on the market today and have a adjustable trigger that beats them all even though I have never had to adjust a trigger yet. They also come with aluminum scope rings which helps keep weight down and I've found that they work very well. You won't go wrong with a Tikka.

liberty 1

Own both of various cartridges. Tikka has the best action. Both are known to be accurate(all things being equal). Tikka to me is a finer gun. IMO.:D

IDAHO83501

Tikka, without a doubt. The Savage is a decent rifle, and pretty accurate, but you'll find the fit and finish much better on the Tikka. The Accu-trigger on the Savage makes it an accurate rifle, without it, it is fair at best. The Tikka is solid all the wat through, trigger, quality of materials, fit, finish, and a crisp trigger. Resale ( should you ever decide to trade or sell ) will be better with the Tikka as well. Good luck

Both have their pluses and minuses, but neither one suffer in the accuracy or reliability deptartment. I still prefer the Savage over the Tikka due to their Accutrigger. Trigger quality on firearms are high on my wants/needs. I find it even better than a Jewell or any other aftermarket triggers for that matter.

thinkingman

I have two Tikkas and love them except for getting hammered at the bench due to light weight...which is actually why I bought them.
Very accurate, well constructed.
I would buy a Savage if I was looking for a bench/target gun due to the heavier weight and interchangeable barrels.
Both are good, pick what you like.

Water-Man

Both are accurate but Tikka is more refined. The Tikka action is much smoother and the trigger is every bit as good. The quality of the stock goes to Tikka.

rezmedic54

RIFLE

How do you guarentee a gun any gun to shoot. No matter what you say gun is fine it's your ammo or you. At least thats the way I see it.

Old 112

A Tikka T3 Hunter bl/wd is in my cabinet(Dec. 08)
It has excellent fit/finish/accuracy and trigger.
AND.....
it is chambered in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

My old (30yrs.) Savages are in the 22/250 and 30/06, and
are 95% of the Tikka by my standards.

BUT,,, Savage Co. did not have a Swede to sell to me, so
I went with the Tikka. A truly quality made rifle.

My Tikka wears a Vari X ll 3x9.

Also, I reload for all my weapons.

Regards,
Old 112

Last edited: