Tikka T3

twopatch

I was in the same boat. I was looking for a .260 with at least a 22" barrel.Not an easy chore,for around 6-750 bucks. So I started looking at the swede's. The winchester that came up ,on gun broker.it was sweet.... At $900. with a nice scope,I should have grabbed it,but I didn't. then a rem 700 came threw and 900 later it sold. this happened for a few weeks. then I stared looking at the new swede's that are still being made. I felt a tikka at a local store,and I was turned off by it. Flimsy,unbalenced,plastic... I never could find a CZ localy. The next day one turned up on gun broker... for $500. For the buy it now price of $600 ,he threw in the rings,dies , 1 box of shells,and 2 boxes of emptys,and free shipping. I am telling you this gun ,shoots better then any of my Brownings,my Mod 70,or my ruger#1. It is solid,and very well made. You will not be dissipointed with the CZ.

UniversalFrost

ok tikka t3 stainless with laminate stock and get it in 6.5x55 which is an excellent cartridge or just get a weatherby sub-moa vanguard.280 remington or .284 winchester!!

natman

It appears they don't make a T3 in 260 if the Beretta website is any indication. At any rate the T3 is a long action rifle, and if you are going to have a long action rifle, you might as well use a long action cartridge. If you are a 6.5 fan, get one in 6.5x55. You'll get the same ballistics as a 260 with factory loads, more if you handload.

Woodyed

I agree that they are listed in their website as I've seen it listed many times, but try and get one, that's the problem. I don't really know the reason that 260's are hard to find and why this caliber never really took hold amongst the shooters, but even US rifle makers are letting this caliber die and are not chambering the 260. It's a shame too because I think this caliber had a lot to offer and brought life to the 6.5 series cartridges. The same scenario is also happening to the 280. Two fine calibers that are disappearing.

UniversalFrost

maybe the base .280 and .284 are dying off, but the wildcatters are really loading for it. I have several chamberings that are based off the .280 and the .284

natman

It appears they don't make a T3 in 260 if the Beretta website is any indication.
i have the tikka catalog right in front of me and it does list the .260

OK. It appears they don't make a T3 in 260 anymore if the Beretta website is any indication.

UniversalFrost

OK. It appears they don't make a T3 in 260 anymore if the Beretta website is any indication.

i just pulled the catalog off the tikka (not beretta) website on Monday and I just redownloaded it to my home PC this morning

2010 TIKKA CATALOG

see page 10... :D

also, just checked several online gun sites and they all have the .260 in stock (just not in all models).

I would not be checking another makers site for info on a different makers offerings. an example like what you just did would be to check the remington site to see what offerings marlin has in the 308 federal cartridge (marlin is owned by remington just like beretta owns tikka). :confused: next time go straight to the source....:cool:

5 Finders

Hi Guys.. new to this site and doing this type of thing, I live in Australia as well so its all a bit new to me, one of the gents was asking about T3 and reliability etc, I shoot Camels for a living, I have a .260 in Rem and a 6.5x55 the ballistics are chalk and cheese. A heavy weight 160g 6.5x55 woodleigh PPSN over NORMA case with a BR2 primer and 45gs of powder ar2213sc out performs anything that a .260, .308 is going to give you, groups at just over 10mm 3/8" at 100yards and just keeps on going. if it stops a 900kg bull, first shoot, I kinda think its got some power behind it. If your living in the dust, dirt, shooting from a chopper for your living as I do, buy a Tikka bud...you'll not get a better bang for your buck, plus its a fine looking lump of metal.

Flatbush Harry

I spoke to Savage Customer Service last week about making up a Mod 11 Long Range Hunter in .260 Rem (they currently produce the mod 11 in .308 Win). They told me it would increase the MSRP by a bit less than $300.

An alternative for 6.5mm fans is the mod. 111 Long-Range Hunter in 6.5-284 Norma which is in production standard.

A third alternative is the Rem 700 Sendero in .264 Win Mag. All three of these have 26" barrels...the Savages all have the AccuTrigger and AccuStock. I have a 116 FHSAK in .30-06 with these with which I'm very pleased.

I'd be interested in Zak's thinking on these alternatives.

FH

LanceOregon

If the Tikka T3 is not showing up on the Beretta USA website as being available in .260 Remington, then that caliber may not be available for sale here in the USA. A number of the Beretta companies have products that they do not bother to export to the USA.

Remington still sells their Model 7 rifle in that caliber, but that is all that is left now in their product line up. Ruger also chambers their compact Model 77 in the .260 caliber too.

A much more practical and popular choice would be to get a 7mm-08 There are more companies making rifles in that caliber. Browning has 3 of their new X-Bolt rifles available in 7mm-08.

The Tikka T3 does have a cheap feel to it. And the light weight and the cheap stock definitely add up for uncomfortable recoil. A person would definitely want to get a custom recoil pad added to the gun if they got one.

A CZ 550 in 6.5x55 Swede would be another option.

Kimber's Model 84M is available in 7mm-08, but is rather pricey.

The Sako A7 would be less expensive than a Kimber, but slightly more than the Browning X-Bolt. But it is also available in 7mm-08.

5 Finders

Hi Guys, Whilst I agree with the general flow of comments the originator lives in Tasmania, gun laws and the selection of weapons is limited due to a lot of factors. getting a screw for a Kimber could turn into a disaster of a couple of weeks, just because its not a Remchester! I have handled all sorts of weapons from russian junk, to high end european junk and american stuff in between. its a personal choice.. but the guys on a budget, $1 US is $1.2 Aus and a Kimber well if it came to it, I would back a tikka against it any day, tikka 5 shot MOA group, Kimber 3 shot MOA group from the factory.. you choose and pays your money, 7-08 great gun not in his bracket, and you try to get shells in some of the places we go, I work 300miles from the nearest town which has about 750 people, shells well...finding dead things is easier!;) dry powder & tight lines...

UniversalFrost

the tikka's are good guns. i have owned several and recently acquired a stainless laminated version in 300 win mag. the gun is superly built. i will agree that the t3 lite models ( i have one in .270 are a bit rough in the recoil department when compared to a "normal" rifle in same caliber, but nothing that is not manageable.

you might want to look into the howa guns. they make the weatherby vanguards and are some really slick rifles with dead on accuracy out of the box and a lot of the parts are interchangeable with the remmy 700's (scope bases and a lot of the screws, etc..).

joe