Tikka T3

mitchell koster

I'm still looking for a .260 but still not convinced that the tikka is the right way to go. i went into the store and felt it and it was too light. Can anyone suggest a heavier .260 that its just as good a value as the tikka?
thanks

MK

hoghunting

I have the T3 Lite in 300 WSM, and it feels just about perfect to me. With a scope and sling, it is just under 7.5 lbs.

jmr40

Options on the 260 are limited. I think the Tikka is a good rifle. They have some different quirks that some don't like, but real problems are rare. If you think it is too light they offer a wood and laminated stocked versoins that will give you a little more weight.

loverme85

what are the reasons behind wanting a .260 out of curiousity? Because you are kind of limited in that price range.

mdd

I carried my ruger vt model 25-06 all over the place last year coyote hunting. I know its not a 260 but it does weigh almost 12 lbs with the optic. Is that heavy enough?

mitchell koster

Reply To questions

I've been look at the ballistics of it and it seems to have a better knock down power and a flatter shooting trajectory than the .308, the other option was a .243 but i don't think that has got enough knock down power.

I've been researching rifles and the way weight effects the accuracy and it seems to me that the weight of the barrel and how much it vibrates will affect the over all accuracy. When i felt the tikka it just felt to light and flimsy, there fore giving it a harder recoil.

I'm looking for a rifle around 1000 dollars AUS. Any sugestions. I've looked a a weatherby Vanguard synthetic with scope for about 950 which seems alright.

Thanks For all you opinions and views.

mitchell koster

Reply to Post

I would consider a .270 or a 7mm Rem. I've heard that the MK2 is good in 7mm caliber.

Has anyone got a Bushnell scope?? what are they like on dusk and dawn?

Last edited:

hoghunting

Tikka has a 3-shot 1 MOA guarantee, so you don't have to worry about the weight of the barrel effecting accuracy. I don't consider my T3 as flimsy, and it will shoot my loads into 0.32" - 0.36" on a regular basis. I put a HiViz X-coil recoil pad on my 300 WSM, and recoil is not a problem.

stevelyn

I'm still looking for a .260 but still not convinced that the tikka is the right way to go. i went into the store and felt it and it was too light. Can anyone suggest a heavier .260 that its just as good a value as the tikka?
thanks

MK

The Tikka is about as perfect of an out-of-the-box mountain rifle as you're ever going to find.

Waterengineer

To the OP:

I am not a T3 fan because of the plastic parts. I would suggest looking at what is basically the same rifle in the Sako line up.

There are several used ones on Gunbroker that will approach the cost of a T3.

And the Sako will be all steel and wood, OK maybe a plastic stock if that is what you want.

I agree with the thought that 260 options are limited - particulaly in an econo rilfe.

IIRC the Hawkeye M77 and Remington model 700 cam in 260 maybe you can find one of those new.

Woodyed

I would love to find a Tikka in 260 caliber. I've been looking for well over a year now for a 260 Tikka. I don't know if Tikka is making them anymore or whether Beretta isn't importing them to the US. Just have to keep looking I guess.

mitchell koster

.308 conversion to .260

If you looking for a 260 and can't find one the other option is to convert a .308 to a 260. they both have the same cartridge size. you just have to change the barrel and a few other minor things. My uncle converted his sako .308 to a 260. Not a bad option. Buy a older 308 with a good condition stock and worn out barrel and then out the 260 barrel on it.

Mitchell Koster

Zak Smith

I am a huge proponent of the .260, but keep in mind that the T3 has one action length; the bolt throw is just less on the short-action versions of it. Thus, for no additional size/bulk of the rifle, you could get a T3 in a long-action cartridge.

loverme85

yeah my initial thought when you said you wanted a heavier rifle is a weatherby, but finding one in a .260 wouldn't be an easy find. Honestly I don't know if they even make them. Its tough to beat the ballistics of a 270 in a non magnum cartridge, a 260 will push a 120 gr bullet 2950fps at the muzzle with 2319 ft lbs the 270 will push a 130 gr. bullet 3060fps at the muzzle with 2703 ft lbs. http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

there is a trajectory chart for both of the cartridges also the .270 is just a better round, so that would be the route I would go.

Zak Smith

Standard long-range loads in the .260 push a 140gr at 2850-2950 or a 123 to 3050-3150 fps.

Last edited:

snipecatcher

Tikka makes the T3 in 6.5x55. My T3 Lite in 6.5x55 has become my go-to hunting rifle. Accurate and light, and will do everything the 260 Rem will do. Just don't order it through Tikkaprecision.com. They are b*stards and will steal your money.
-Dan

loverme85

Are those hand loads or factory Zak? because from what I'm reading 140 gr bullets are on average about 2750 for factory stuff. I'm sure you could get in that range for hand loads though.

loverme85

and I will say that the numbers printed on the box of factory ammo are usually higher than what they are actually traveling from my experience.