Tikka or Weatherby?

Marquezj16

Terrel - I'm assuming you are receiving this rifle as a present from your mom/dad or other family members. And you pretty much have okay to pick your rifle? I own a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 Win. It is a very accurate and smooth operating rifle. The bolt on it is the best out of all my other rifles. As far as recoil, I don't feel more recoil on my Tikka compared to my wife's Browning X-bolt in the same caliber. I also don't feel much of a difference compared to my Browning X-bolt in .270 Win. To me the recoil is not terrible or painful.

Have you shot other rifles before? How did you feel about their recoil?

Elkins45

Tikka FTW

About the recoil: fold up a towel and put it behind the butt when practicing. You won't notice the recoil when shooting at game.

If you and your parents are ever close to the DFW area, you are welcome to try my tikka...

If you shoot shotguns, the recoil of the tikka in .270 should not be an issue. You have to remember that when it comes time to make that shot on a nice bull elk, you won't even know the rifle went off. Only time you have to worry about recoil is if you want to have extended range sessions...

hooligan1

I have the Weatherby in 7mm rem mag., it's heavier than the tikka but it's less money and the new Vanguards are now "range certified" sub-moa. Mine shoots less than 3/4 of an inch at one hundred yds, with my handloads. I have an older Savage 110 with the synthetic stock, that weighs( with scope) less than 7 lbs,, so the Tikka isn't the only lightweight rifle out there. But between those two you mentioned up front, all I really know is that I love this Weatherby.

Attachments

• 7mm rem mag 160 grn Accubond 001.jpg
    7mm rem mag 160 grn Accubond 001.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 20

Saltydog235

Tikka is made by Sako, Weatherby is made by Howa. I'll take the Finnish company over the Jipperneese one when it comes to a gun.

snipecatcher

I had a Weatherby in .270 and hated the weight. I sold it. I now have a Tikka in 6.5x55 (similar to the 270, slightly less recoil) and don't think I'll ever sell it. It is more accurate, smoother, and above all, lighter. I would argue it is the best all around mass produced hunting rifle you can get.

Big Pard

What rifles have you shot? If you are going elk hunting then you will need to expect some recoil. As with nearly all hunting, shot placement and bullet construction are far more critical than cartridge.

terrell

well ive made up my mind i am going with the tikka t3 stainless 270 win...i am go to do some fishing and shotting this weekend and i will be ok with recoil... i will be shooting a 20ga using whinchester super speed and remington express shells...now can u guys post some pictures of your TIKKAS!!!!!

Picher

Remington has some reduced recoil ammo that's pretty good for practice, though POI is a bit different from full-power ammo.

If recoil is a problem at the range, you should try the PAST recoil reduction pad. I use it when sighting in and trying different loads from my .270 Win. Even though recoil doesn't hurt, I shoot hunting rifles more accurately from the bench when using the PAST.