Tikka or Weatherby?

terrell

I Am going to be 14 in 2 weeks and i plan on getting a rifle for Elk and Deer...I want either the tikka t3 lite stainless or weatherby vanguard in a 270 win.Which one should i get??and any caliber or other rifles would be good:)??

Last edited:
As an owner of a Tikka T3 in .308, I vote Tikka for its buttery smooth action, crisp clean trigger and excellent accuracy with factory ammo. But, weatherby is a nice gun as well. Either should serve you well for years to come!

Recoil will be a little harsh with the factory recoil pad. Buy a limb saver direct fit recoil pad to replace the hard factory pad. It will still kick, but you won't feel it much at all.

terrell

just asking not to sound dumb but if i get a limbsaver and it says for rem 700 and some other guns and not the tikka will it still fit

If its a direct replacement pad, no. If its just a slip on one the. It won't matter as long as its the right size (small, med, large). Limbsaver makes them specifically for the tikka and weatherby respectively.

sir_n0thing

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .270WIN. I was amazed at how sharp the recoil was on it. Not such a big deal in a field/hunting situation, but really beat me up at the range (I'm a pretty scrawny guy).
I picked up a Limbsaver at my local Gander Mountain and that made a world of difference.
Limbsaver Precision Fit bolt-on pad, model number 10010/10011. Listed as fitting the Sako 75 and Finlight as well as the T3 synthetic.
I think the T3 is a better rifle than the Weatherby Vanguard... though there's nothing wrong with the Weatherby. Which one fits you better?

justin251

Isn't there a pretty big price difference here?

the weatherby vanguard is more along the lines of a budget rifle being a rebranded howa 1500.

tikka (at least the ones I've seen) are fairly expensive. although I've never heard of a tikka being a pos.

jmr40

The 270, properly loaded is fine for elk. The guns are both great choices, but are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Decide what features are more important to you.

The Vanguard is among the heaviest of all rifles. You will be over 9 lbs once you get a scope, mounts, sling and ammo on it. Maybe close to 10 lbs depending on your optics. That is a lot of weight for a mild recoiling 270.

The Tikka is the lightest rifle you will find under $1,000. If you chose your scope carefully it will come in under 7 lbs and be much better to carry in the elk mountains at 9,000 ft or more.

The Vanguard is more traditional looking with more aftermarket support. The Tikka has very modern styling that turns many people off. The Vanguard uses a 5+1 mag with traditional floorplate. The Tikka uses a 3+1 detachable magazine that is overpriced and hard to find spares.

Both have a reputation for excellent accuracy, but with the examples I've owned and shot I have to give the edge to the Tikka.

You can find the older Vanguards on closeout prices for around $350, the newer S-2 versions are around $470. The Vanguard is certainly the most rifle for the money right now. A Tikka is a bit more expensive, but does come with scope mounts.

If I were buying it for me the substantial weight savings, and slightly better accuracy in my experience would lead me to the Tikka. Especially in a 270 or other mild recoiling rifle. In a harder kicking magnum the choice would be a little harder, since some weight would be a good thing.

jmr40

the tikka felt the best but just worried about the recoil

I used to own a Tikka in 30-06. Spending an extra $30 or so for a Limbsaver recoil pad was the best move I made. The recoil from a 6 lb rifle can be stiff, but the pad brought it down to 243 levels. You shouldn't have a problem with a 270, especially if you invest a little more in a quality recoil pad.

sir_n0thing

While I have not tried it myself, a friend of mine claims the slip-on pads work just as well. The only issue being they change the length of pull a bit.

AllenJ

jmr40 summed it very well, for what you are going to do the Tikka is probably the best choice. I own a Vanguard S2 in 243 and love the thing, it shoots sub MOA and has a wonderful factory trigger. It is not however a gun I would want to pack around miles and miles looking for elk. I bought mine for deer hunting here in CA where the walks are short and over every hill is another road:)

sir_n0thing

Though keep in mind the age gap here... when I was 14 I could lug a 10 pound rifle over hill and dale all day long without issue. Now at 40+, it's a whole 'nother story... :p