Three revolvers to consider: advice invited.

RickB

I wouldn't accept a Judge as a gift. A .410/.45 long gun might have some value in a SHTF environment, but a revolver?

Porting sucks for lead bullet use. Expect to get lead build up on your front sight. I have a Taurus 450 with porting and I have to use a piece of copper bar stock to scrape the lead off.

pathdoc

Okay, that's all I needed to hear. I need to push them to get me a Smith or a Colt, probably S&W as I am very happy with my M&P 9mm. (Yes, I did consider getting a 9mm revolver. I rejected it for various reasons.)

pathdoc

Resolution: I got a hold of the guy at the LGS who knows his stuff, and a six-shot S&W 686 is on order, along with a set of reloading dies.

I bought the little .22 cowboy gun, and that's mine once the paperwork comes through.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

MODS: Can you please alter the post title to include the word "resolved", or simply lock it, since its job is done?

wild cat mccane

Since the Taurus transfer bar was mentioned, i have the unstoppable need to mention it is a problem on the Ruger too. They CAN pound themselves until break. You can check by looking at it.

Always amazing how you can online search, get great feedback, and find a known problem from owners.

Good call on the 686. Best option for a shooter. I think it looks the best too.

pathdoc

Still trying to find .357 ammo locally, but took the little Wrangler out to the range on the weekend.

Observations:
1) This is my first revolver, my first single-action revolver and my first gate-loader all in one. Little things to learn abounded, like making sure the chambers line up with the ejector rod (hold the gun up and look at the front of the cylinder as you punch the rod back and forth) and that the cartridges are seated all the way in (else the cylinder can lock up).

2) Slow as it is to load and unload, the best thing about this little gun is not having to hunt for the cases on the ground. (Next to no recoil is also good.) Next time, I'm going to bring a bucket with me so that I can rid my hands of the empties quickly and responsibly without needing to pick them up once more from the place I put them all.

3) My cleaning rod, which seems perfect for my .22 rifles, doesn't want to push a patch more than an inch down the barrel. Do I need something smaller, or should I be using a pull-through?

4) I shoot like garbage with this gun, even at 15ft. We all know what the only cure for that is, don't we? :D

Onward Allusion

I can offer advice on the 357. Forget the 7 round and go with the 8 round 608.

I have 3 of the 608s and also reload. I have the 4" which I chopped off the compensator & turned it into 3". Got the 6" in shiny SS and finally the 8 3/4" in matte SS. That one gets interesting looks at the range. Shooting 38's in 'em is almost as light as 22LR due to the amount of metal on them.

The trigger on 'em are smooth as any S&W. I own the S&W 627, too - so I can honestly say that the triggers are comparable.

pathdoc

I can offer advice on the 357. Forget the 7 round and go with the 8 round 608.

I have 3 of the 608s and also reload. I have the 4" which I chopped off the compensator & turned it into 3". Got the 6" in shiny SS and finally the 8 3/4" in matte SS. That one gets interesting looks at the range. Shooting 38's in 'em is almost as light as 22LR due to the amount of metal on them.

The trigger on 'em are smooth as any S&W. I own the S&W 627, too - so I can honestly say that the triggers are comparable.

The deed is done. I went with the six-shooter because this is my first centrefire revolver and I want to keep things simple and understandable. My mental model is set up for six rounds. Canada being what it is, this will be solely a range gun.