Thoughts on Sphinx SDP Subcompact?

Walt Sherrill

Tunnel Rat said:
In all the dry firing I've done with CZs I've never snapped a trigger return spring. ..

I don't think it was ever a COMMON problem with CZs but there was a period, maybe 12-13 years ago when CZ had a large batch of trigger springs (from a supplier) that didn't hold up well.

If I remember correctly, the failures were seen most often in the compact models -- probably due to production schedules, etc. CZ replaced the springs when there was a problem.

That, and extractor springs (which were later upgraded) were the only spring problems I ever heard about in CZs -- 'net myths would have you believe otherwise.

Walt Sherrill

Cosmodragoon said:
I could be wrong but I thought the Sphinx could use CZ magazines. Does anyone know more about this, or if there are any other interchangeable parts?

The P-07 magazines fit, but leave a small gap at the bottom. (They are slightly larger than standard CZ mags, as are the Sphinx mags.) You can use standard CZ mags (or Mec-Gar mags) but they aren't a snug fit; they'd be alright for for range use.

Some of the CANIK mags made for the metal-framed CZ compact models they've offered (with a bunch of different model names, over the years) work fine in both the CZ P-07 and the Sphinx SDP, but for the SDP you may have to shave a bit off the top of the Canik magazine base plate for a perfect fit. (It's a non-critical area, so it's not a problem.)

When I got the Canik mags they were about half the price of factory mags for the SDP or P-07; I haven't seen any at that great price since and I haven't looked a lot, but it may be an option if you can't find suitable mags anywhere else. The Canik mags are a bit bigger (less slim) than the standard CZ mags.

I was surprised to find that while the CANIK and P07 mags worked in the Sphinx SDP, the SDP mags didn't work in the P-07. (Don't know whether they fit in the CANIK.)

Last edited: