Thoughts on a carry 9mm

Smith66

So I love my full size 9mm pistols, but I want a 9mm more suited for carry. I was hoping to gather opinions/experiences you have about compact carry pistols. I've been looking at the G26, Kahr K9/P9, and SW M&P9c. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cryption

I think for carry the sig P239 is great. I carried my XD for a while but that was a pain, I love the gun but it is huge. The sig p239 is the perfect size, and it shoots perfect. I suggest you go rent one and see how you like it.

I carried the G23 for about a week ... but I hated shooting the gun so it just keeps my XD company in my safe while I carry the Sig.

I also plan on trading the Glock for an XD-9sc and THAT is about the perfect gun for carry ... but I love the XD. I would also check out the XD-9 compact and sub compact as well as the sig.

Smith66

We are sharing a brain there I think. I own a G17, SW M&P9, and Beretta 92FS. So being the Glock guy that I am, a G26 is a natural choice. I would buy an M&P9c, but I've never been crazy about the way that pistol takes down, which led me to look at the SIG239/Kahr K9. I'd like a gun that isn't bulky in the slide, as I've heard G26s are. Thanks for posting!

j-framer

Hi Smith66,

Kahr K9, all the way. The steel Kahrs have the best reputation for reliability of any of their models. You should be fine. The P-series seem to have an unhealthy amount of trials and tribulations, so personally they'd make me pass.

There is really no comparison - in my mind, at least - between the Kahr K9 and the Sig P239. The Kahr is much smaller and thinner. If you are going from a full-size handgun to a more compact model, may as well go small enough to make a real difference in the piece's carry personality. The Kahr is a mere sliver of a gun. Have you held one yet?

You only lose 1 round (Sig is 8+1, Kahr is 7+1) to get that size advantage. Well worth it.

TNFrank

The Glock 26 looks great but the price is a bit much. Kel-Tec's P-11 is suppose to be pretty decent and the price is about half that of the Glock.
I MAY try and sell my Ruger KP-95 and pick up a Glock 17 and a 26 so I'd have the full size and the mini both in 9mm. I really wish Ruger would bring out a compact version of their KP-95, then I'd just get one of those and be done with it.

Boarhunter

Smith66,

Though not on your list, you may want to look at the Kel-Tek PF-9, supposedly the smallest, lightest, thinnest 9mm made. It is a single-stack 9 and holds 8 rounds. I have one and it has been a great gun for carry. Reliable and inexpensive (approx. $300). Something to think about. It is not a range gun (50 rounds and my hand shakes like I have the palsy), but it is a great concealed-carry weapon.

Boarhunter

darango360

S&w 3913 TSW

My 9mm of choice would be a S&W 3913 TSW. Totally awesome conceal carry weapon. It just about disappears under anything I wear.:D

demondeacon

Here's another vote and endorsement for the Glock 26. I carry mine loaded with the factory magazine and carry a Glock 17 magazine as a spare. I added the Pierce Grips pinky extension to the floor plate of both the factory magazines.

werewolf

I carry a Glock 26, and it works very well. The Glock 17 works too, but it's a bit on the heavy side.

Glock 26 (or 33) can fit in my pocket. The 19/17 can't.

Whirlwind06

TNFrank wrote:

The Glock 26 looks great but the price is a bit much. Kel-Tec's P-11 is suppose to be pretty decent and the price is about half that of the Glock.
I MAY try and sell my Ruger KP-95 and pick up a Glock 17 and a 26 so I'd have the full size and the mini both in 9mm. I really wish Ruger would bring out a compact version of their KP-95, then I'd just get one of those and be done with it.

Ruger is coming out with a compact 9mm it is called the SR9 and we should see some pics of it in a couple days.

I have the Kel-tec P11 it's a great carry gun. Takes sometime to get used to the trigger. But it is like learning to shoot a DA revolver. Once you master it you shoot everything else better.

G&G

Cz P01

Consider the CZ P01

The Czech police had such high requirements for their service pistol that some companies bowed out of the competition. The mean failure rate the US military set was 495 rounds; the Czech set it at 500. When tested, the CZ P01 had a mean failure rate of over 2000! Meaning it only had 7 failures in about 15,000 shots.

The CZ P01 passed many torture tests (which I'm guessing might rival that of Glock and HK). It was dropped repeatedly from 1.5 meters, then dropped from a height of 3 meters. It was frozen for 24 hours I believe, and so on I forget all the details. The Czech police also required a minimum service life of 15,000 rounds of +P ammo, but the P01 went through 30,000 rounds no problem, and still going strong.

The company CZ appeared to have set a new standard in making the CZ P01, which they hoped to be a service pistol par excellence to rival those of Glock, and HK.

Affordable, Accurate, Comfortable ;)