Thoughts on 260 Remington?

ndking1126

dvdcrr, I would recommend the 24" for open country and max pbr. 22" would work too but with a slightly shorter pbr. If the 24 is too long it can be shortened.

You're on the right track. I love my 260 (26 heavy barrel, not a hunting rifle though) and suspect you'll be very happy.

Jack O'Conner

We often make the long drive to western South Dakota for antelope hunting where my shots tend to be quite long. But my older .243 has never let me down. Accuracy is far more important than the weight of the bullet. I hunt with 95 grain Black Hills Ammo featuring the SST bullet. Your 260 will be fine if you shoot an accurate load.

Jack

bamaranger

I had an affliction for a .260 for a couple of years, long before the 6.5 CRM craze started. Options for a new .260 are pretty limited these days. I did find a Ruger American so chambered about 2 yrs ago, but when the store made its put up or shut up offer, that American .260 was priced too high for my pockets. It is a rare chambering in that model.

Were I to continue down the .260 path, I think I'd get a trashed Savage 110 (long) action, rebarrel with a slim sporter weight 22" tube with a long throat, and stock it in the light synthetic handle without going too broke. A tidy 3x9x40mm or maybe a 4x12x(?) would give me enough X power to shoot as far as I ever should on big game. Should be faster/flatter than a 6.5 CRM or a standard throat .260.

You guys are gonna bankrupt me with all the guns you remind me I want!!!!!

Doyle

Well, I had to look up the .263 Express and found out that it is just a primitive (failed) version of the .260 with a different shoulder angle.

TimW77

260 / 6.5mm

This post ought to upset a few whiners...

Don fischer Told Doyle that the 6.5x308W is not another name for the .260...

Sorry Don but YOU ARE WRONG...

The "common name" for the .260 Rem is the 6.5x308 but it is ALSO known as the 6.5x308 A-Square...

The .263 Express is basically the same BUT made by necking UP the .243 Win (that is where the "3" comes from in the name)...

About 1955 or 1956, right after the .308 Win came out "Ken Waters" took the recently introduced .243 Winchester, necked it down to use a 6.5 mm bullet and called it the 263 Express.

The sole difference between Ken's version of this 6.5mm and others was the use of .243 Win cases which he found easier to NECK-UP than necking down the .308 Win...

"In the 1970s, we discovered the 6.5-06..."

Kind of late to the party guy (57+ years). The first version of the 6.5-06 was introduced in 1913 well before Winchester introduced its .270 Win...

"The 6.5 Creedmoor is a .308 case, very slightly shortened, and with the shoulder set back..."

This is WRONG ALSO!!!

The 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT a shortened .308 with shoulder set back and different shoulder angle.

It is IN FACT a necked down .30 TC with no other changes!!!

Since the .30 TC was developed from the .250 Savage, it (the .250 Savage) AND the .22-250 can be used for making 6.5mm Creedmore cases with additional steps...

I purchased my .260 several years before the Creedmore came out. Others can say all they want but after all the research I have done, I would STILL choose the .260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor. Does NOT matter what action type. Although I currently just have a bolt action now, I am planning on having an "AR-10 TYPE" rifle built and it will be in .260 Rem...

T.

Don Fischer

This post ought to upset a few whiners...

Don fischer Told Doyle that the 6.5x308W is not another name for the .260...

Sorry Don but YOU ARE WRONG...

The "common name" for the .260 Rem is the 6.5x308 but it is ALSO known as the 6.5x308 A-Square...

The .263 Express is basically the same BUT made by necking UP the .243 Win (that is where the "3" comes from in the name)...

About 1955 or 1956, right after the .308 Win came out "Ken Waters" took the recently introduced .243 Winchester, necked it down to use a 6.5 mm bullet and called it the 263 Express.

The sole difference between Ken's version of this 6.5mm and others was the use of .243 Win cases which he found easier to NECK-UP than necking down the .308 Win...

"In the 1970s, we discovered the 6.5-06..."

Kind of late to the party guy (57+ years). The first version of the 6.5-06 was introduced in 1913 well before Winchester introduced its .270 Win...

"The 6.5 Creedmoor is a .308 case, very slightly shortened, and with the shoulder set back..."

This is WRONG ALSO!!!

The 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT a shortened .308 with shoulder set back and different shoulder angle.

It is IN FACT a necked down .30 TC with no other changes!!!

Since the .30 TC was developed from the .250 Savage, it (the .250 Savage) AND the .22-250 can be used for making 6.5mm Creedmore cases with additional steps...

I purchased my .260 several years before the Creedmore came out. Others can say all they want but after all the research I have done, I would STILL choose the .260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor. Does NOT matter what action type. Although I currently just have a bolt action now, I am planning on having an "AR-10 TYPE" rifle built and it will be in .260 Rem...

T.
I'm glad you came up with Ken water's name, my memory's not what it used to be. Let's see, 263 Express is actually the 243 x 308! Ya know, maybe long past time for building new cartridges on old case's!

P.O. Ackley Volume I page 356. cartridge is made by necking down the 308 case. Can also be made by necking up the 243 case. Largest developement work was done by Ken Water's of New Canaan, Ct.

Interesting. There were 6 different 6.5's on the 30-06 case, each slightly different. I should have looked up the number of them on the 308 with different names! Ah, in Ackley's vol I only one on the 308 case, the 263 but I read about the 6.5x308 also just can't remember where! Not Mentioned in Vol II.

old roper

In Ackley book page 356, what was interesting was Author's note bottom of page over to next page. This is just first part " Conversely, the 270 or 7mm with equal weight of bullets, presents greater gas area and will produce greater muzzle velocities over practical ranges."

jackstrawIII

260 would be fine. The 6.5 Creedmoor is making the 260 obsolete. If you reload, it matters not. If you ever want to buy ammo off the shelf, 260 is going to be harder and harder to find.

First comment was all you needed. 100% correct.

The 260 is a great cartridge and I love making brass from old Lake City 308 cases... however, if I were a betting man, the Creed is the cartridge of the future.

2ndtimer

Short action cartridges only appeal to short action likers. I prefer long actions cartridges due to their ability to hold more powder. I shoot a 1/4 bore 06 and like it allot.
Although, the 260 is a Remington design. 6.5 Creedmoor being Hornady's. I've never seen Hornady slam dunk a popular cartridge of their design into obsolescent's over night like Remington seems to have done. >Allot.<
My advice: Buy the creedmoor.
I don't know about Hornady killing a new proprietary cartridge overnight. Ever hear of the various Ruger Compact Magnum line of cartridges? I believe they were a very short lived Ruger/Hornady joint venture.
I still say that if Remington had offered the .260 Remington in their 24" barrel SPS rifle when it first came out, it could have been a smashing success, and the 6.5 Creedmoor probably never would have been attempted. It certainly is true that Remington's marketing wizards rival the Cleveland Browns front office in ineptitude!