Thompson Center Contenders

s4s4u

From a 10" barrel the Max will hold up well to the Herrett in performance. You really won't see any advantage of the Herrett in less than 14" tubes, to burn up that added propellant. A 12" in .44 mag will handle similar to a 10" in mostly anything else due to the the bore size, as was said previous. The additional 2" will benifit terminal ballistics though, as well as tame the "flip" a bit. If your frame is very early generation, it may be troublesome to open with newer gen barrels. Fox Ridge can convert it to "easy open" for about $35, as well as convert AA frames/barrels to standard. You will find that rimmed cartridges are more break-action friendly that rim-less, most cases they will fall out of the chamber after firing where you have to dig out the .223 and 6.8 and 35 Rem and the like. The original 'Tender is superior to the Encore (boat anchor) in every way. You can shoot higher pressure loadings in the Encore, but if you can't kill it with the 45/70 it ain't killable ;-)

BluesBear

You can shoot higher pressure loadings in the Encore, but if you can't kill it with the 45/70 it ain't killable ;)
I agree with that but I still wish the Contender could handle .454 Casull.
I was actually shocked when I learned it couldn't. And very little shocks me anymore.

DreamShifter

New Contender Owner

A friend of mine just bought an old contender with three barrels. He has a .22 lr, a .222, and a 45 lc/.410. Two of the barrels are scoped, the .22lr and the .222. I've shot the 22lr and the crosshairs are dead on. The more I look at one of these the more I want one.
He went to change the barrels and can't seem to figure out how to switch them out. I've looked online for a manual but can't seem to find what I'm looking for to help him out. I know there's a takedown pin under the forearm but he doesn't want to screw it up if that's not the correct way. Is there a special way that the takedown pin has to come out? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Fisher

Just like Magnum said and remember to open the action when taking the pin out. It's a lot easier that way.

Sometimes the pin will stick. Especially if it has been replaced with a third party pin. So you might have to use a punch to get them out. Tap lightly though, once it starts moving it comes right out.

If you end up buying one for yourself, you will have fun. I have owned everything from a 22 LR to a .444 Marlin in the Contender line up. When you get bored with one. Just sell it and buy something else.

Jim

darkgael

T/C

to those of you who are looking for the 44mag in ten inch, get the bull barrel! it is not to bad off hand, however the recoil is robust, not so bad as to hinder you, but robust none-the-less.....

Ain't that the truth.
Mine broke three Red Dot optics before I found a scope that would stand up to the recoil.
Pete

Cheapshooter

I have wanted a Contender for a long time. As posted a couple months ago I found one in a LGS at an unbelievable price. It's a G2 Stainless with Super 14 35 Remington barrel, 14" 22 LR Match barrel, and Burris 1.5-4 scope. I am extremely happy with it, and have plans for more barrels. Right now my to-buy list goes to each extreme of the G2 Contender, and a couple in between.
1. 204 Ruger
2. 45-70
3. 22 Hornet
4. 6.8 Remington SPC
5. 30 Carbine
The biggest problem with my $250 Contender is the thousand dollar plus in
additional barrels and scopes!!!:D:D:D
They should have a warning on them "Owning this firearm has been proven to cause CCBP(Compulsive Contender Barrel Purchase) disorder"

Sevens

Cheapshooter, I'm curious about your want for a .30 Carbine barrel in a Contender.

Not knocking the .30 Carb, I love it in my Blackhawk. It's a total riot.

In a Contender, I'm just curious about what is driving your idea.

Cheapshooter

Cheapshooter, I'm curious about your want for a .30 Carbine barrel in a Contender.

Not knocking the .30 Carb, I love it in my Blackhawk. It's a total riot.

In a Contender, I'm just curious about what is driving your idea.

Notice it's on the bottom of the list!
Nothing really compelling, just thought it would be fun.
Sometimes I have no reason what so ever for another caliber in anything.

Plus I have dies, cast bullets, and a thousand or so rounds of brass, and don't shoot my M1 Carbine all that much.

MADISON

Contenders?

Several years ago I had 2 Contender actions.
One of the actions would go off safety like it should.
The other would not go off safety!
I dumped it.

SVO

The .30 Carbine in the Contender is a fun round to play with. Since it's a single shot, it opens up bullet choices that you might otherwise not consider for a rifle. I have a load worked up using H-110 & the Nosler 125 gr Ballistic Tip that's very accurate in both my .30 Carbine barrels. You can also step up to heavier 30 caliber bullets like the 150's-180's grain'ers for a .300 Whisper type round.

wildwood477

Contender's

I haven't carried a rifle in 5 yrs, Seems nice to carry my 7x30 Waters with 14" barrel. I have killed 5 deer in as many years. I have it topped with a bushnell Trophy red dot, fast and deadly. I also have a 30 Herritt Barrel in 10" but havent used that since I got the 7x30:D

Fisher

I have been hunting with a Contender ever since Ohio allowed us to hunt with a pistol. Most of the deer I have taken over the years were with a 12" .44 magnum with the T/C scope on it. I believe they called it the hunter package. I have also taken deer with my .357 max. and .444 Marlin barrels.

Stevie-Ray

Right now my to-buy list goes to each extreme of the G2 Contender, and a couple in between.
1. 204 Ruger
2. 45-70
3. 22 Hornet
4. 6.8 Remington SPC
5. 30 Carbine
Make sure that .45-70 is a bull barrel! Can't stress that enough. Someone on this thread that "Super" denotes bull barrel-that simply is not true. My Super 16 .45-70 barrel is tapered. Don't make that same mistake. A huge hole in a tapered barrel means flyweight and that translates to horrendous recoil. If you don't want to be stuck with 405 gr factory loads only, make sure that sucker's heavy.

Cheapshooter

Oh yea, for sure the 14" Hunter with the Muzzle Tamer. Probably open sights.
What kind of loads can that barrel safely handle? Both factory, and handloads.

Fisher

Yup, no sights and the muzzle tamer. It also came with a lighted recticle scope on it. I put a set of Pacmyer grips and forearm on it. I still have it and it's in the picture below.

The first deer I took with that Hunter Package was at a distance of 96 yards. That 240 grain hollow point hit him square in the shoulder. He took about 3 steps and dropped to the ground. I always shot the load listed below. It was an accurate load and a hard hitter.

25.0 grains Win. 296
240 grain Hornady XTP JHP

Jim

contenders.jpg

Last edited:

budd

My contender

I have had a Contender since 1977. I currently have a number of barrels in several different calibers
.35 Rem Super 14
.223 Rem Super 14
.44 Mag 10 in BBl
.357 Mag 10 in BBl
.222 Rem 8 in octogonal BBl

I also have a second contender receiver set up as a Carbine with bbls in .223 Rem, .375 Win.

Budd