Thompson Center Contenders

onlybrowning

Not much talk about the TC cannons goes on here, and I am pretty excited about my newly acquired TC Contender in .35 Remington 14" Super Barrel. What is your favorite TC Contender (or Encore) round and what for, and why?

Oh, Pictures would be cool too!

Taxidermist

I'll join. I have a contender in .35 rem. with a 14" barrel also. I use it for deer and bear. Bear season starts here in N.Y. in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to that. I have hunted with it for years and taken quite a few deer with it but so far no bears, but I'll keep looking for one.
John

Contender.jpg

jrothWA

Enjoyed toppoling metallic silhuettes...

with my 1978 model with octogon barrels (Iron sights), this past Sunday morning.
(.22LR & .357) Got good zeros now!

44 AMP

Staff
.35 Rem is one I'm missing

My Contender calibers are:
.22LR
.22 Hornet
.222 Rem
.30-30 Win
9mm Luger
.38Spl/.357 Mag
.44Spl/.44 Mag
.45 Colt/.410 ga.
.45 Colt
.45-70 Govt

After I got my Contender, I realised I had wasted years by not getting one earlier!

X-RAY

Have a 14" , stainless, .223, muzzle brake, Harris bi-pod, with a 6x-9x TC scope and a trigger job by E Arthur Brown at 1 1/2 lbs. With 55gr ball surpluss ammo will hit a soda can on end all day long @ 1oo yds. Originally a woodchuck popper, but is mostly a fun gun.

Fisher

A few of mine

Onlybrowning,
I have owned and hunted with Contenders for many years. I still have my other revolvers, semi-auto pistols and rifles but when it comes to accuracy and hunting I pull out the Contender. If you have any other questions fire away.

Pistols
.44 Magnum, 12" barrel (on the frame)
.22 LR, 10" barrel
.17 HMR, 12" barrel (Bullberry)
.444 Marlin, 14" barrel (Bellm)
.357 Maximum, 14" barrel (Bellm)

Rifles
.17 HMR, 22" barrel (MGM)
.223, 21" barrel (Bullberry)

76785339.E1zNhHOQ.IMG_0105.jpg

76627543.CTvYKoMi.jpg

.223, 21" barrel (Bullberry) /w custom English and Black Walnut stocks

Fisher

Onlybrowning,
I forgot to mention in my post above. The .35 Remington was one of my first calibers I purchased after the .44 magnum. I have a Marlin 336 in that caliber and thought it would be fun to have a pistol to go with it. It certainly was a fun one to shoot. Unfortunately it didn't last long because I can't hunt with that caliber here in Ohio. We are only allowed straight walled cartidges here.

Jim

Molasses

.22 10" oct.
.22 Match 14"
.223 14"
7-30 Waters 14" MB
.30 Herrett 14"
.32-20 10" Bull
.357 Max 14"
.357 Herrett 10" Bull
.44 Mag 14"
.45LC/.410 14" VR
.45-70 16" MB

Seems like they breed in the gun safe...

onlybrowning

Awesome guys. I am thinking the next barrel for me may be the 6.8SPC. Looks petty cool. Maybe teh 7 TCU? SO many choices.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with mounting a Leupold QR base on a COntender as well. I was advised (and agreed) that the one piece QR base for an Encore and Omega has the same bolt size and hole spacing as the contender base, so I bought it to be put on. it appears it will have to be mounted backward to clear teh frame, but I think it will be good?..:confused:

1006smith

I have the older contender frames.

I like the 7mm tcu as my large bore althought the 357 max. comes in a close second.

For small bore I favor the 221 fireball with my 22 hornet placing second.

I have others but these are the ones I keep grabbing.

Chuck

I also have the older Contender actions ( 4 actions )

& have nearly every barrel made... ( my father in law was a collector ), & I continued after he was gone...

my favorites are are at opposite ends of the bore selection... have an old 10" hex 22 Hornet that's taken P Doggies out to 150 yards...

& my 14" Hunter barrel in 45-70 ( that has been my deer hunting gun for over 10 years now ), can put 3 shots touching at 75 yards from a field rest...

the biggest challenge for me as a collector ( since my father in law already had over 20 barrels...BTW... I've purchased about 20 more, since he died ), was to scope them all...:eek:

onlybrowning

Oh man, I never found one for the COntender, so I got this one at the local shop.. I hope it works. If not I will have to drive an hour to return it.

jwaldo4

Ok Onlybrowning, I also have a contender and came to this forum looking for people who shoot them. as of right now all i have is a stainless frame with a 44mag 10inch iron sight, and a 30-30 win 14inch blued with a 2x7x32 scope. shoots well, love it, bought it to deer hunt here in louisiana with. just gotta have time to finish the sight in. i will eventually get a reload set up for both the 30-30 and 44mag, and most likely for my 45lc single action also. so some reloading tips will be appreciated.

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
I own two frames and half a dozen barrels. Contenders tend to breed in your gun safe! ;)

Truth to tell, my Contenders would take care of 99% of my shooting needs for the rest of my life, packed up into one two-shotgun takedown case and a largish attache'.

One can do worse than adopt this system to 'fill his battery'.