Thompson Center and CVA single shot questions

TruthTellers

Only if you're the kind of person who has to buy "new". :rolleyes::D

There are a lot of Contenders out there, and will be for a long time to come, if you don't care about being the original owner. All my Contender stuff was bought used, works great and looks good, despite being decades old.
The issue I have is the cost that sellers will be asking for knowing they're not being made anymore. Maybe someone like PSA could come along and start making their own frames that are compatible with T/C barrels, but $800 for a complete Contender or Encore is a bit much for me. I'm not looking for match accuracy, just something that is accurate, fun, and slows me down so 50 shots take an hour to burn thru compared to 15 minutes with my revolvers.

Nathan

@TT, I know what you mean. My Contender was built from a T/C frame by JDJones. It is a fun gun. That said, I can’t see paying more for a standard Contender frame and barrel.

44caliberkid

Someone making a new frame that uses Contender barrels would be great. If they could bring it to market for about $300 to $350 I think they could sell a bunch of them. An investment cast frame, a simple trigger, sear, hammer, maybe using some existing parts (1911?) to hold down cost. PSA, yes, or maybe the Phillipinos.

Road_Clam

I have a stainless Encore frame and a custom MGM 15" bull barrel chambered in .243 Win. FUN shooter banging steel gongs at 200 meters !

44 AMP

Staff
I looked on GunBroker the other day, and addmittedly it is an auction and prices often do go stupid high in the final bidding there were several Contenders, with starting bid prices in ther $400 range and a few with "buy it now" prices in the $5-600 range. They aren't ALL $800+ range, though many are.

Adventurer 2

I picked up a G2 Contender pistol at a gun show years ago -- mismatched stainless frame and blue 45/410 barrel. Never did get any stainless barrels for it. Not a pretty handgun but I'll keep the G2 forever.

12-34hom

single shot

These types of firearms have long been used by me for target and hunting porposes. XP-100, Savage Stricker, Thompson contender. 221 Fireball, 22-250, 223 were my calibers of choice. Gunbroker has all manner and calibers for sale on thier site for decent prices. Nosler now makes a single shot that in my opinion is the finest ever made. The MSRP is 2400.00 . but can be had for less if you look around. Several chamberings are avalible. there worth checking out. 12-34hom.

gemihur

TCA stands for Thompson Center Anonymous

ya' can't take it with you
I never met a barrel that I didn't like
444-Marlin-sm.jpg

For when you mean business

Pumpkin

I have 4 complete guns all blue:
10" Octagon 357 Magnum open sights, 1975 gun SN No hammer safety
10" Octagon 25-35 with a 4X Weaver, 1978 frame SN
8" Octagon 44 Magnum Hot Shot open sight 1983 frame SN
10' Bull Barrel 357 Maximum with a 2X Redfield 1984 frame SN
All except one (357 Mag) were bought piece by piece with new barrels.
The 2 older ones are not the Easy Open type. The location of the trigger guard pivot pin was moved to facilitate an easier opening action sometime after 78. All have different variations of the factory grips and forends offered around the time of the SN.
I recently had a 30-30 G2 rifle and while a very nice rifle it did not have the adjustable trigger like the older ones. I definitely prefer the older guns and there is a nice selection of factory grips available for these pistols.
The 8" 44 is a nasty little bugger with full power loads, I load a 255gr hard cast with 10grs of Unique. Much less recoil and still a powerful load. They are all very nice guns that would take a lot to part with. :-(

Ricklin

Full house .44 mag from the Contender is a handful. Of recoil, they weigh little and the stocks are not shaped well to distribute said recoil. Tho discontinued I don't see parts ever being a big issue.
Mike Belm is the man for all things Contender. I wonder if he will ever intro a frame.

Pumpkin

I don’t abuse mine, if I need more gun I will grab a rifle. Thankful I bought all of them over the years before I retired. He might have a pretty decent following. All mine have his slightly oversized hinge pins.

Last edited:

mpmax

In the past 6 months I found 2 contenders in 44mag for under $450. I bought the later easy open one with a super 14” barrel. I sold the barrel and replaced it with a 10” 357max barrel off gunbroker and an eBay 223 super 14. If you look around for deals, they’re out there. Newer generations of firearms enthusiasts are slow to pickup Contenders.

Attachments

• 53368254470_9e5c5c2a86_z.jpg
    53368254470_9e5c5c2a86_z.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: