This time it's Panera Bread

motorhead0922

Panera said:
"To this end, we ask that guns not be brought into this environment unless carried by an authorized law enforcement officer," the statement said. "Panera respects the rights of gun owners, but asks our customers to help preserve the environment we are working to create for our guests and associates."

Panera CEO Ron Shaich told CNBC that its request "is simply we recognize everyone's rights, but we also recognize that we are building communities in our cafes and are where people come to catch a breath."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...era-gun-firearms-moms-demand-action/15285663/

My wife likes Panera, but I'm not going there anymore. It is just ridiculous how many CEOs don't have enough of a spine to reject arguments from groups like Moms Demand Action.

Edit: I see no way to contact Panera HQ on their website.

BarryLee

Most CEOs have no desire to enter this debate and are looking for the most expedient way to make the entire thing go away. That’s why we get the “request” and then the “will follow local laws”. Most will not be hardcore either way and are simply seeking to offend the least number of people so they can continue to make money.

Glenn E. Meyer

Haven't seen 30.06 signs in TX, yet.

Spend your energy on folks like the posturing Chipolte pair.

That was the cause of the current problems.

Shaich added that Panera was "respectfully requesting" customers to leave their firearms at home, but will continue to follow state and local firearms laws.
"Respectfully requesting" is the same phrase we've heard from Starbucks and Target. MDA is putting significant effort into this. While they're not getting outright bans, this still has a chilling effect on civilian carry.

The problem is, MDA is putting sustained pressure on these corporations. By the time we find out about it, we're already behind the curve. A few nice phone calls and letters from us can't do much to counteract the propaganda they've already been fed.

zincwarrior

Haven't seen 30.06 signs in TX, yet.

Spend your energy on folks like the posturing Chipolte pair.

That was the cause of the current problems.

While Snowboots and Fatman were a problem :rolleyes: This Bloomberg group clearly has an agenda and plan of attack. Harangue a company with calls etc until some sort of public statement is made.

madmo44mag

A bit of the devils advocate here but concealed carry means no one should know you have a gun in the 1st place.

Here in Texas they must post a 30-06 sign clearly visible up on entering the establishment.

Soooo, if they don’t have a 30-06 sign and they can’t see your firearm; what’s the issue?

If by chance they discover you are carrying all they can do is ask to leave.

I agree that CEO’s have a hard time taking a stand on this issue.
They must manage their exposure and risks to potential negative media exposure.

I don’t like this crap any more that anyone else here but I understand it.

I will say that most companies that have taken this attitude do not see my money anymore.

madmo44mag said:
A bit of the devils advocate here but concealed carry means no one should know you have a gun in the 1st place.

Here in Texas they must post a 30-06 sign clearly visible up on entering the establishment.

Soooo, if they don’t have a 30-06 sign and they can’t see your firearm; what’s the issue?

If by chance they discover you are carrying all they can do is ask to leave.
A few more states other than Texas have requirements in their statutes for "No Guns" signage in order for it ti have any force of law. I think it's safe to say that in most states such signs do not have force of law behind them. That means we are free to ignore them and continue to carry concealed. In such states it only becomes an issue if your gun is spotted and an employee asks you to leave.

What I don't understand is why some national RKBA advocacy group (such as U.S. Concealed Carry, except that maybe they don't see themselves as an advocacy group) isn't already hard at work organizing a grassroots letter assault on these CEOs to take them to task for not ignoring a blatant attempt at corporate blackmail from a bunch of people who probably never set foot in the establishments anyway.

TXAZ said:
If they don't want my money, that's ok.
I agree ... sort of.

One or two places I never frequent anyway, like Starbucks and Panera Bread don't affect me. But movements like this gain momentum. If allowed to propagate, it won't be too long before they sign up the CEOs of some places I do frequent. And the next thing you know ... there won't be anyplace left that will allow you to carry a firearm.

An initiative such as this cries out for some significant push-back.

kilimanjaro

It also cries out for Snowboots and Fatman to be identified, and given a total psychorectal exam by the NRA or someone. Including their finances and contacts.

I just smell a rat, you know?

If they're just borderline morons and attention-seeking Mommy haters, they're nuts who need to be disarmed.

cjwils

None of this would be an issue if there were not a few people pushing the sensible limits of open carry. If those people had disappeared a few years ago, we would all be better off now. If you want to do concealed carry, then I say go ahead and do it where ever it is legal.

Joe_Pike

They can "respectfully request" all they like. If there's no sign posted, I'm carrying. No one will be the wiser

Careful. Some people here will label you a "dink" for thinking that way.

motorhead0922

In Missouri, "No Guns" signs do not have the force of law, so I can ignore them if I want. (All they mean is that, if noticed and asked, I have to leave the premises). And I do not expect any signs at local Panera's. But like I said, I'm done there.

But, what to do about this corporate trend? Yes, there is some momentum. It's almost like MDA is like a terrorist organization: we don't know who the are targeting next, so we can't "defend" that turf. I can't afford a full page ad in Wall Street Journal to reach corporate America.

Just like Target and others from these places trying to have their cake and eat it too:

"Asking" without putting up stupid signs** is a non-event - just ignore and go on as you please, concealed or not, as the case may be (but please, no slung long guns, folks - except in the rarest of circumstances).

Putting up a stupid sign**, however, means I will honor their wish and boycott.

Not complicated.

**Stupid Sign= are so named by me because they make no sense and you'd have to be really stupid to put one up in a public invitee business: https://www.google.com/search?q=no+...v&sa=X&ei=lmcOVI2vKen5iwKu5ICwBg&ved=0CGMQsAQ

tomrkba

There is a huge difference between "respectfully asking" and a full ban, especially when they state they will follow state and local laws.

Fortunately, there is no force of law behind such signs in Virginia because the right to keep and bear arms overrides a public business' desire (there is no contract in place between the customer and store). Any business can ask anyone to leave for any reason. Refusal to leave is trespassing.