This is why I carry a REVOLVER!

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...re-kills-two-of-three-home-invasion-suspects/

As the story goes, the bad guy's gun jammed. May have been a good stroke of luck for the good guy, but the good guy's gun jammed too. Guy had to get another gun to finish the job.

Now, this was a Glock 19. I'm sure every time he takes it to the range it worked well, but THIS day it didn't and it's only THIS day that matters!

Lots of people like to say bottom feeders are more reliable and they can show you videos of guns dumped in mud to prove it, but that's not the kind of reliability that matters. In my case I'm taking a clean gun out of a clean holster and it just has to work. Under those conditions I know my revolvers will work.

At least the story has a happy ending. Two bad guys met their maker.

pete2

Two kinds of semi autos, those that have jammed and those that are going to jam. This being said, I do have 4 haven't jammed yet but I'm satisfied that they will at some point, a round of bad ammo if nothing else will shut them down. A revolver can fail too but it is a lot less likely to happen.

Ingramite

Two good reasons

Here is a couple of Roscoes for the sake of argument.

Attachments

• Model 10 & Model 640.jpg
    Model 10 & Model 640.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 347

AK103K

I shoot both on a regular basis, and Ive had random malfunctions with both over the years.

The autos are usually quickly right back in action with a TRB, assuming you understand the possibility and practice that.

The revolvers, really dont have much to practice for, but pretty much to a one, when they stopped, they needed tools to get them going again. When they stop, youre not likely getting them running again in the moment.

And to be realistic, both are pretty reliable. But, then again, thats why you practice and try and stay on top of things.

HighValleyRanch

At my last CCW qualification, I had my Kimber K6 lock up during a timed stage. Cylinder would not rotate using DA. I had gotten four rounds on target and need one more and had something like three seconds left. So I popped open the cylinder, dumped all the rounds and loaded a single round out of my pocket and got the final shot off and qualified with 100 percent in the center zone.

Never knew what caused that jam. Could have been a high primer, bad factory load, but never had the chance to go back and check it out. But it taught me a good lesson of keeping cool under pressure and revolvers CAN jam, but don't give up.
And...probably would not have gotten the shot off with a speed loader or moon clips. The single round load was very fast.

OneFreeTexan

Okay, so now we have decided revolvers are bad, and we just all go to the holy grail of seni’s,,,,particularly Glocks.

too bad,

I have a 38 special that has never failed me.

jimku

I ain't sayin' diddly. I carry both and have opinions, but every time I venture an opinion on here it causes a big argument and at least half of those threads have gotten locked down. So no more opinions. I will not venture an opinion unless I can defend it, and if I do defend it, that starts n argument, the staff here is intolerant of such arguments, so there you have it ... no more opinions.

5whiskey

Okay, so now we have decided revolvers are bad, and we just all go to the holy grail of seni’s,,,,particularly Glocks.

I think the intent of this thread was to achieve quite the opposite sentiment.

I shoot both on a regular basis, and Ive had random malfunctions with both over the years.

The autos are usually quickly right back in action with a TRB, assuming you understand the possibility and practice that.

The revolvers, really dont have much to practice for, but pretty much to a one, when they stopped, they needed tools to get them going again. When they stop, youre not likely getting them running again in the moment.

And to be realistic, both are pretty reliable. But, then again, thats why you practice and try and stay on top of things.

This^^^

I’ve had one revolver failure ever, vs dozens of semi auto failures. To be fair, I’ve probably shot 50 rounds out of semis to every one out of a revolver over the years, but revolver are catching up. The one revolver malfunction was a squib round that entered the forcing cone but didn’t clear the cylinder, entirely my fault as I loaded the ammo. But the cylinder was tied up until I tapped the slug back down so it would clear the forcing cone. Tap, rack, bang clears about 50% or so of the semi auto failures I’ve had.

To be fair, my one revolver failure wasn’t the revolvers fault it was ammo induced. I’ve had semi auto failures that were entirely the semi-autos fault. Usually the magazine.

ms6852

All guns will at one point or another fail. It is just the way it is with mechanical moving parts. How many people do you know that will change springs after shooting so many thousands of rounds.

With revolvers what I often see with some people that shoot them or carry is that they want to be cool and flip the cylinder back into the gun, or use the cylinder or ejector rod to close the cylinder. Everyone that uses a revolver should handle closing the cylinder by using the crane so that the ejector rod is not bent accidentally. This in it self could cause the gun to lock up or if you reload your coal is longer that it should be. That is why a bug is the fastest reload.

AK103K

too bad,

I have a 38 special that has never failed me.
Then you probably havent shot it enough. :)

Sooner or later, everything stops at some point. ;)

And its that "stop" that is usually the big difference.

Ammo, with either, is probably the biggest issue when there is a problem.

Revolvers need a couple of things addressed to make them less susceptible to problems, like Loctite on the extractor rod, and side plate screws, making sure the face of the cylinder and barrel are clean, theres no crap under the extractor star, to name a couple.

Most autos these days arent as finicky as they once were with certain ammo, and dont normally need things done to the gun to ensure that it will function.

Of course with either, keeping them both clean and maintained goes a long way at limiting problems too.

CajunBass

I figure if my carry gun (revolver or semi) fails, at the the exact moment I really, really need it.

Well...I was having a bad day already.

Ruger45LC

I certainly like to shoot revolvers, but I don't carry one. Too few rounds, too slow of a reload and if it does go down, which can happen, you're not going to quickly fix it. I've had revolvers lock up on me, mainly due to incomplete powder burn which left a lot of unburned and partially unburned powder in the barrel and cylinder which locked it up like a bank vault. A few instances of a partially backed out primer as well. All of this with factory ammo too.

corneileous

Sure, there’s a lot more going on with a semi than a wheel gun; but.... more rounds and quicker shooting is probably why I’ll stick with my semi’s.

But see, keeping your gun clean and oiled, especially around the feed ramp and extractor- no, I’m not saying to lube those two specific parts, I’m just saying keeping the gun [and the magazines] clean and oiled, use quality ammo that your gun likes, shoot your gun properly[i.e., no limp-wristing] and the chances of having a jam is extremely reduced.

But making a thread in an attempt to make it sound like only using a revolver to defend your home is silly. Yeah, he had a jam but how good of shape was his gun in? When’s the last time it was cleaned? Was it cleaned properly? Was his nervousness and adrenaline pumping through his veins the reason why his gun jammed?

We don’t know the answers to these questions so sorry, I’m not just gonna start carrying a revolver or act like that’s why I carry one, just because of one news article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

603Country

I really can’t remember ever having any revolver jam, other than a 22 that had a problem when I bought it used. I can’t say that about my semi autos. My carry pistol (S&W Bodyguard 380) jammed on me the other day. A bad Winchester white box round had to be cleared. Not the fault of the pistol.

corneileous

I really can’t remember ever having any revolver jam, other than a 22 that had a problem when I bought it used. I can’t say that about my semi autos. My carry pistol (S&W Bodyguard 380) jammed on me the other day. A bad Winchester white box round had to be cleared. Not the fault of the pistol.

My little 22 magnum revolver has had a few misfires in it but I just figured it was due to the 22 rim fire primer in the ammunition that’s what I always thought was normal for that type of round.

EIGHTYDUECE

The guy in the article engaged three guys with guns. He may have died if he only had 6 or 7 shots out of a revolver. Everything is a compromise I guess.

corneileous

The guy in the article engaged three guys with guns. He may have died if he only had 6 or 7 shots out of a revolver. Everything is a compromise I guess.

giphy.gif

pete2

A squib in a Semi will tie things up too, if a second round is jacked in it can get real exciting real quick. I guess same could happen in a revolver too if it gets out of the cylinder. Friend of mine has a Colt Official Police with a bulged bbl. I guess it sent both bullets down range when it happened. Might have still got your man.

AK103K

Ive had squibs that stuck in the barrel in both.

The autos generally wont cycle on the squib and let you send another right away, unless youre not paying attention and try. You actually have to work at it.

The revolvers on the other hand, will, as long as its cleared the back face of the barrel. No other work necessary, and your brain is likely already on it, "if" you arent paying attention.

At least the autos usually give you a "hey dummy" clue/warning. ;)

Either way, if you're doing something serious, youre about equally screwed.