This is what Amerika is coming to? - Jail time for not cutting your grass?

Creature

No pastures or cows...

Sure. There is a house next door right now which has a quarter acre paddock they're allowing to grow up just like that and I've got some cows on a similarly grown up pasture. You do that sort of thing if you're afraid of drought.

Again, keep in mind that the residences described in the report are in a region NOT affected by drought. There are in a rural or semi-rural area / neighborhood...and the whole gist of this OP is that we are discussing a property in suburbia. Not a paddock to be found...we are talking about surrounding yards.

Last edited:

BurkGlocker

well, i remember when I used to be on the road alot with my old job, and would be out of town for weeks at a time, so the grass, got a little long. But it would get cut when I was home. I came home one time with a letter from the constable hanging on the door stating that the grass could be no taller than 9 inches in height and that the lawn must be free of eyesores. ***? Grass being an eyesore? To me its that stinking garden gnome in my neighbors yard across the street. With a little investigation, I found out who called in and complained, of course the neighbor with the garden gnome. No... I didnt shoot the gnome, but... I did call a buddy of mine with a lot of goats and asked him to bring me half a dozen of them. Well, he delivered them to the house that night, but the next morning the constable was at my door. He gave me a ticket for $300 for having farm animals within city limits without a permit and told me I had three days to remove the animals from my lawn. Guess how long the goats stayed on my lawn... :D Man, my neighbor was livid but she got her just desserts; came in one afternoon after a three week straight of not seeing my own house or bed, she walks over the street to start griping at me, but apparently she was cooking something on the stove and it caught fire.:eek: I ran in the house and called 911, 5 mins later the FD was there and put it out. After that she NEVER complained about my lawn again.

Danzig

I have to respond to Freakhouse's last post...Libertarians do NOT advocate doing whatever you wish and there not being any consequences for our actions.

While we reject the government's right to interfere in our daily lives, in Freakhouse instance, if he let's his yard become and unsightly mess and it brings down the value of his neighbors property, then they have every right to take him to court and sue him for devaluing their property. Thus, while he can make the decision to let he yard go to hell...he has to bear the consequences for that choice. That is the Libertarian answer. That is MY answer.

divemedic

Danzig- You are on target. Too many people get libertarianism confused with anarchy.

the main difference, IMO is that libertarians believe in the freedom to do what you wish, as long as it intrudes on no one else's property, and they believe that a minimal government is needed to protect rights when there is a conflict. Anarchists believe that they should be able to do whatever they wish, no matter what it does to others.

Freakhouse

MeekAndMild,
Thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking for about 5 years now, so definitely not new to the board, just a new poster.

Danzig and divemedic,
There are differing views on how far libertarianism actually goes. Many view libertarianism as being able to do whatever you want with your own property, without interference from others (especially the government). The anarchy analog would be doing whatever you want with your neighbor's property, which is definitely NOT where I fall.

It could be argued that everything that you do affects someone else in one way or another. It's a fact of life. However, while your neighbor can indeed take you to civil court over just about anything, in this case I believe that your neighbor should lose. You have a right to do what you want with your property, and to be free of interference from others. That does not mean that you have a right to interfere with others to make the value of your own property go up (or keep it from going down).

Let me give two examples.

First, let's say that you don't like the color that your neighbor has painted his house. It is an absolutely hideous puke green color, and just by being there it will cause your property value to drop. That doesn't give you the right to make your neighbor re-paint his house. While you could take it to court, any reasonable judge would laugh you out of his courtroom. An unkempt lawn is another level of the same issue.

Second, let's use an example from government. Let's say that the state installs an interstate highway right through the property next door, and as a result the noise causes your property value to drop overnight. Should the state be required to compensate you for the drop in value? The courts have held that it does NOT. If all possible use for your land has disappeared, then yes, they are required to take your land through Eminent Domain. But if there is still value in the land and it can still be used, even if not for the original use that you intended for it, there is no requirement that the state compensate you for the loss in value.

Now if you have bought land in a city with a pre-existing ordinance, or property under a home-owners' association covenant, then of course you should be required to abide by the covenant. You knew (or should have known) what you were getting into when you bought. I will personally never belong to an association because I value my liberty more than my property values, but people have the freedom to make that association.

While I do personally keep my yard neat, I will stand up for the right of my neighbor to not do the same. I may not like the junkyard next door, but I would rather he have the right to have a junkyard than to have laws that infringe on what I can do with my own land. In my opinion, the only way around this liberty is to make a covenant with your neighbors, or to pass a local ordinance that grandfathers in anyone who doesn't agree with losing their freedom.

I'm sorry for the long post, but personal freedom is one of our most precious rights, and one that has been disappearing for far too long. It is something that I feel strongly about, and something that we as gun owners should be very, very careful about infringing upon.

So is this something that falls under the label of libertarianism, rather than anarchism? Some will differ, but I believe that it absolutely does.