This happened near my parents house.

armoredman

markj, nice one!
I doubt it's the cash, it's the wallet with credit cards, drivers licenses, identities to be stolen, etc. Might be practie, but I don't know. I have eaten at two Waffle Houses in Tucson, neither in what you would call a "good" area. We limit our fine dining to KFC drive through and Eva's Mexican take out.

JimL

During the robbery a police officer came to eat lunch, he was NOT responding to the robbery, one of the robbers shot and killed him as he entered the restaurant.
Even when I was a LEO I was laughed at for advising total paranoia at all times, even in my small town. Small towns attract crooks who see them as easy pickings. If ANYONE approached my car, even a friend, I covered him with an armor piercer below the window, etc.

I just read an Ayoob story in which the "handcuffer's" partner didn't even draw his gun. After all, the BG was on the ground motionless. They are both dead now. Too many cops are permanently relaxed because they were too relaxed on the job.

I had then a NAA blackwidow 22mag in my pocket, that would require a 100% accuracy on my part only 5 shots and no reload(as if the BW was easy to reload! yeah right), and even if I got 1 shot of at each guy who knows if they where dead with one shot.
You've convinced me. If I can't carry my 12 round .45 I won't carry.

rdmallory

Just sit tight and hope my gun is not printing on my side.

And thinking why did I pick up this .380 and leave the .45 in the gun safe. If something does break out I want 11 45s not 6 380s.

Doug

besafe2

Avoid Waffle Houses

My best advice here, avoid Waffle Houses. Here they are robbed all time. All of the Waffle Houses also have the sign stating no concealed weapons(or something like that) allowed on the property.

So wonder why they are targets:eek:

LightningJoe

Well, it was Garland. It was probably a nice suburb 40 years ago. Even Richardson is succumbing to the blight now. Why do you think McKinney is the fastest growing city in America? 25 years from now it'll be Melissa.

Well, it was Garland. It was probably a nice suburb 40 years ago. Even Richardson is succumbing to the blight now.

Actually, the Waffle House is just off of I635. I would not call the immediate area blighted. The Bobo China is in Lake Highlands and the other two eateries are in fairly nice areas. So I am not sure that being in Garland is a key factor to the MO of the robbers, or that it was a Waffle House.

CARGUY2244

6:1

Keenly observe all details, using eyes and ears. Unless I believe they're about to open fire, my gun remains holstered. Its almost impossible imagine siezing a tactical against 6 bogies in a full Waffle House.
I prefer a drive through White Castle. Cheaper, safer, same stomach ache the next morning.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Well, it was Garland. It was probably a nice suburb 40 years ago.
Garland is big--about a quarter of a million people. Like any suburb that size some parts are nice and other parts are not.

I would agree with DNS' assessment of that particular area and would add that simply driving down the major streets won't give you a good idea of how nice some of the neighborhoods in that area are. You have to turn off a major street and start poking around a bit to find them.

Mr. Davis

A scenario like this, although highly uncommon, makes a compelling argument against Open Carry.

Can you imagine the reaction if the amped-up robbers had seen a civilian sitting in a booth with a 1911 or Glock on their hip?

At the least, they'd have lost the gun. At worst, they'd be mistaken for a cop or a "wannabe hero" and lose their life.

Lawyer Daggit

A few years ago here there were some robberies at a very good quality chinese restaurant - they cleaned out the till and robbed the patrons- all because the owners were not paying the mob its protection money.

mrnkc130

So you can still go to the NASCAR races, air shows, shoot at my place, but not go to Cheaper than Dirt or Cabelas?

I make a few exceptions...cheaper than dirt isnt one of them, i still consider that being robbed:D

LightningJoe

Garland is big--about a quarter of a million people. Like any suburb that size some parts are nice and other parts are not.

I would agree with DNS' assessment of that particular area and would add that simply driving down the major streets won't give you a good idea of how nice some of the neighborhoods in that area are. You have to turn off a major street and start poking around a bit to find them.

That's how it works. Young people build houses there when it's a nice suburb. They want to get away from the blight in the city (in this case Dallas). Things go well for a while. Then the same blight that drove them from Dallas creeps out into their suburb. 40 years later, you've got those same people, now old, retired in the houses they built when things were good. Those are the nice parts. The blight surrounds them. That generation passes on, their heirs sell the old houses, and the blight settles in for the long term.

When I moved to McKinney, the influx was astonishing. Now, it's in midstride. Forty years from now, I'll be an old man in my old house, surrounded by blight. The young families will build houses in Anna or elsewhere.

Unless gasoline is $20 a gallon. In which case we'll have moved on to a new paradigm. McKinney may be a ghost town with a few elderly holdouts while Dallas will be an industrial slum surrounded by a residential shantytown, five or ten million people crammed together like a Brazilian city.

thawntex

Let's put the gigantic paintbrush down for a minute, shall we?

I live in Dallas, and if I threw a handful of rocks hard enough I could hit all of the aforementioned crime scenes.

I could also hit the exceptional Montessori preschool that my child attended, as well as the arts magnet school she currently attends.

I could hit the public train station that takes us to the vibrant and growing downtown arts district. Along the way we might check out the Dallas World Aquarium or the zoo, all accessible without driving an inch.

I could hit many well-maintained and spacious parks, and a bike trail that takes me straight to White Rock Lake and the Dallas Arboretum.

I could hit the hundreds of restaurants that people safely frequent every day, as well as any type of retailer you can imagine.

Not every young family chooses the suburbs. We settled into a nice, modest home in an established Dallas neighborhood. Our house is 48 years old, and I'm having trouble seeing the "blight" that apparently surrounds us. We know our neighbors, and a strong sense of community exists along our street.

The problems lie in areas of high population density. The five corners neighborhood and Forest/Audelia comprise the worst part of our vicinity. I am not, however, moving 40 miles away due to the existence of a few low-rent districts. In fact, I continue to drive through these areas daily with no issues.

For every square mile of ugly apartments there are several beautiful, well-maintained neighborhoods occupied by great people. Dallas is full of character, for better or for worse, and I am staying!

-T

Last edited:
When I moved to McKinney, the influx was astonishing. Now, it's in midstride.

That means that when you moved to McKinney, it had already undergone a significant revitalization movement, something your paradigm doesn't seem to include for any other place.

LightningJoe

That means that when you moved to McKinney, it had already undergone a significant revitalization movement, something your paradigm doesn't seem to include for any other place.

McKinney hasn't been revitalized. It's been utterly transformed by the arrival of 100,000+ people in just a few years. Other similar places are Allen and Frisco. But that's just a snapshot in time.

Are there parts of Dallas that are nice? You bet, like Highland Park. These are called enclaves. They exist, but they're not for the middle class. To escape urban blight, the middle class has moved radially outward. As long as commutes are manageable in terms of time and expense, this works and will probably continue as the urban blight creeps radially outward also.

But the economy is changing and driving 60+ miles round trip every day may become too expensive. If that happens, buses and trains may substitute. We'll have to see what happens. And we will.

porkskin

As a 2 year resident of Irving/Las Colinas only 1 year removed...I thought most of Garland was pretty yucky and not anywhere I would have lived. I had 4 employees that lived in Grand Prairie and I wouldn't have lived there either. The funniest part about Dallas is the Bishop Arts District. The "artsy" crowd moves in to a 2 block area of Oak Cliff, the worst part of Dallas, and then think it is a good idea to open shishi restaurants and have people drive throught the ninth circle of hell for overpriced food and drinks in the name of culture. But don't ask me, if we had stayed my a$$ would have moved to Ft Worth for sure. Sorry Big D

JohnKSa

Administrator
Sorry guys, I encouraged this one to go off-topic. We need to get back on topic and restrict the discussion of neighborhood quality in the Dallas suburbs except as it directly relates to tactics/training/self-defense/etc.

Dallas Jack

As for tactics in an armed robbery with 5 or 6 perps you must remember that there were others that may be armed. You may not be the only one to decide to fight back or not. I think I would lay low but be prepared to back any action started by someone else. I have no desire to start a shootout but I think it would be the right thing to do to help out once it becomes a no choice situation. Can't think of a better way to help than evening the odds a bit.
Dallas Jack