Thinking of changing my truck gun (.45 vs. .357), input please??

shafter

You may not be concerned with noise when your life is at stake but when the crisis is over your deaf you may have some regrets.

You say that you have numerous handguns, does that include 38spl?

longlane

S&W 65-4 here

Chambered in .357. I like the stainless and rubber combo for a truck gun. It's big enough that pulling it may well be enough, and I can reload it more quickly with the four speedloaders that accompany it. I've a dakota 4 dr and am in the boonies constantly. The .357 w/ golden sabers is more than enough for me. All of this, and I've only got around $300 in it; so a theft situation won't ruin my year. And the .38 I routinely carry could feed the 65 if it had to. And my wife loves shooting it too... Win, win, win. I would encourage you to keep others in mind with a vehicle gun--my wife occasionally drives my truck (if I take hers in for service, if she needs to haul some plants, etc.) It's great if you can pick a gun/caliber that anyone who would rightfully be driving your truck would be comfortable using in an emergency. Just my .01 worth...

Edit:...and I'm with TenRing on the 1894C in .357. Just purchased one actually. I just like the .38 spl/.357 mag "group" if you will. Lots of flexibility for all sorts of purposes (hunting, sd, hd, etc.)

Last edited:

rantingredneck

Edit:...and I'm with TenRing on the 1894C in .357. Just purchased one actually. I just like the .38 spl/.357 mag "group" if you will. Lots of flexibility for all sorts of purposes (hunting, sd, hd, etc.)

Yeah, me too. Not sure if you read the earlier posts but I picked one up a couple months ago myself. It's a handy little carbine.

The Great Mahoo

longlane said:

I'm a big fan of grouping calibers like that. I picked up a 625MG in .45 long colt to match my levergun. Unfortunately its a bit larger than I'd like these days, and since ammo is getting scarce, I've been thinking about adding a rifle and new revolver in .357. I don't much like the noise of a .357, though, so I am a little hesitant and am hoping someone will make a nice carbine in .327 to accompany my SP101 which I usually carry nowadays.