Thinking about starting reloading

jmortimer

Yes Yes and Yes and get Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. There is a video on the Lee Precision web site and videos on You Tube, but get Modern Reloading. Grafs has a great "kit" deal. You will be very happy with your purchase. This kit has Modern Reloading and everything else you will need for $200.00
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23840
I wanted to add that I like to keep it simple, I use powder dippers and use a hand primer and prime off the press. You could get the Classic Turret, a couple extra turrets, some dies, a funnel, some dippers, Modern Reloading, and a scale to check your dipper charges along with some powder, primers and bullets and use the turret in single stage mode. It is slower but I like to keep it simple.
Here is a good source https://fsreloading.com/

Last edited:

ltc444

Roger to Roger 4134.

I started with a single stage Rockchucker and an RCBS ammo crafter kit back in 1975. Contemplate going to a progressive every 6 months. Never have probably never will.

Lost Sheep

dopar66 in post #5 said:
I have not used the turret press, but read some reviews that said minor play in the turret could cause inconsistencies in overall length.
The play in the turret is something that all turrets have in common. Some more than others and some turrets (those with a center mount rather than Lee's rim mounting) allow the turret head to tilt slightly, too.

Another press that allows some movement of the die in relation to the ram it the VERY GOOD Forster co-ax.

If the amount of movement is precisely the same every time, you should experience no inconsistencies.
vito post #20 said:
The single stage press would be a bit less expensive, but it appears that the turret press would be just as easy to use and avoid the extra effort of storing cartridges part way through the process while I change dies for the different operations.
If you load in batches (which most of us recommend when you are first starting out) it is easier to exercise quality control (and safety procedures), storing a batch of 50 or 20 partially completed cartridges is easy enough. A loading block (or two) does the trick. You can buy one for about $7 or make one with a 2x6 and a drill.

Picture this: You have 50 cases arranged in a loading block and shine a flashlight into all the case mouths. In this way, you can clearly see that all your powder charges are (at least approximately) the same and MOST IMPORTANTLY that you have no cases double-charged or lacking a charge.

vito said:
can I expect the instructional material with the Lee equipment to walk me through the process easily enough for me to do this on my own?
No. Lee's instructions that come with the equipment is sparse. But there are videos on the web made by helpful Lee owners that are excellent. Lee's customer service by email (in my experience) or on the phone (by reports I have read) are good.

Check out Kempf's Gun Shop online. Sue Kempf uses a Classic Turret herself and is very helpful. Kempf's Classic Turret kit is excellent, includes dies and does not force you to take the Lee scale (which some find difficult to use - if you never learned how to use a vernier scale).

Good luck. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep