Thinking about getting a Stag AR-15

smax

So I've been itching to pick up an AR-15 recently. I'm a southpaw, so I was happy to see that Stag makes some true left-handed rifles.

At first I was thinking about grabbing a Model 2TL, but I think I'll buy the 2HTL upper and a lower separately. That way, I can save a bit of money and grab a case and mags that I actually want.

A couple of questions...

Anyone have experience with Stag? It seems like everything I've seen says they're pretty well-made and don't have too many issues.

Any suggestions for a lower? I'm not looking for anything fancy. I'll probably end up getting a Stag or a DPMS... I'll have to see what my gun shop has in stock.

Wleoff

I'm LH but shoot a RH Stag, flattop, A2 stock with 20" barrel. I really like it. No problems, but I'm going to change the trigger as some as I can decide which one. I've had this one for a couple of years.

Freedom-First

Hello there SMAX. Even though I'm kinda new to the forum, I guess I should Welcome you to The Firing Line!!

I have a Stag 2T. Only put about 100 rounds through it but so far it seems like an excellent rifle. I have no complaints or regrets.

Ejh28

I am also in the process of looking for an M4gery, and stumbled across this chart that might help you.

Now keep in mind that if you'll just be casually shooting, you won't need all this Military spec stuff, but it's a good reference to go by. Of course the more "X"s a rifle has, the more expensive it gets. Another thing you want to think about is what purpose the rifle will have, is it for small game hunting, Home Defense, or training/competitive shooting? Because different models fill different needs.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/AR-Comparison-Chart/355sigfan/071120-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

bigghoss

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

things to go over before you buy ANY ar15.

if you just want a range toy/plinker than Stag is probably fine. if you want anything more serious follow the advice above and get a high end rifle or build your own from top shelf parts. building is much easier than most people think.

being left-handed and wanting a rifle tailored to a southpaw might prove tricky but I'm sure you can build one that's better than an off the shelf Stag.

I have a DPMS that I picked up used but I only use it to pop off the occasional few boxes and it has never jammed when using brass cased ammo, but it doesn't like wolf. it's accurate and by no means a POS but it's not a hard-use gun either.

thallub

The Stag will be just fine. I have several AR-15 rifles including a Colt. None of those guns is any more reliable than my Stag 4L. None of them are as accurate as that Stag gun either. They just cost more.

Go ahead and buy a left hand Stag Arms gun. You will not be sorry.

Ejh28

No offense meant Thallub, but I've shot an Olympic/Stag, RRA complete and Colt, and the Colt was a much higher quality rifle. You could tell just by handling it. And at the range the Colt proved why it's issued to our fighting men and women.

MagicMan

I LOVE my STag AR. It has never given me any problems & eats any ammo I throw at it. It's also very accurate

smax

I'm really just looking for a fun plinker at this point. I'll just have to see how much money I'll have left over at the end of this summer for it.

CortJestir

At first I was thinking about grabbing a Model 2TL, but I think I'll buy the 2HTL upper and a lower separately. That way, I can save a bit of money and grab a case and mags that I actually want.

You do save some money doing it this way, but also consider the Lifetime Warranty you get with a complete Stag rifle. I'm not sure Stag has lifetime warranties on separates. They may, though, so check into that.

I have about 600 trouble-free rounds or so through my Stag Model 2. It gets more and more fun every time I shoot it.

Great guns - especially for the money. I don't think you'll be sorry.

epr105

I shot the colt and most of the others on that list and they all work fine. I have a Stag Arms upper on a Bushmaster lower with 4K through it without any trouble at all. Get the Stag

Kurbsky

Stag appears to an excellent value! Especially if you want the one with the rail. I would buy a Stag myself if they were making a gas piston driven rifle for themselves (not for Bushmaster).

stickhauler

Stag AR Platform AR-15's

And at the range the Colt proved why it's issued to our fighting men and women.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are! The same Colt who made that loose .45 ACP I shot in the service, that was not too bad accuracy wise, if you were shooting someone standing inside a phone booth with you. Longer distances were a different story.

It's issued to our fighting men and women for one reason, their people had the influence to get the government to buy off of Colt. This is after all the same government who buys $10,000.00 toilet seats isn't it? Trust me, they never heard of price shopping. And if you ever had to use one of their high quality M-16's built before they revamped the platform with forward assist, you would not be singing their praises.

To the original poster, I have a Stag L-1 (the lefty carbine with adjustable stock) and it's just as accurate as any Colt model M-16 I ever shot, and just as reliable, it's just not nearly as expensive. I guess they don't have UAW members building them like Colt does. Buy it and shoot the hell out of it, I assure you that you'll be more than happy.

MrCleanOK

Stag makes fine rifles. They aren't a Noveske, LMT, etc., but are a great rifle for the middle of spectrum. When I bought an AR, I picked a Stag and I don't regret it.

Regarding the lefty situation, a brass deflector on a right-handed upper will have you covered. I bought my Stag with a lefty upper, but have since picked up an LMT right handed upper for it. I keep my rifle as a HD/fighting gun, so I wanted something I could get replacement parts for. I have plans to rebuild my LH Stag upper for varmint/target shooting (bull barrel and glass).

Doesn't matter if you pick left or right handed, you'll be happy with the Stag.

thallub

No offense meant Thallub, but I've shot an Olympic/Stag, RRA complete and Colt, and the Colt was a much higher quality rifle.

With all due respect; I have owned a Colt for many years. I have also owned an Armalite for several years. The finish on the Colt and Armalite are a little better than that on my Stag Arms guns but they are not as accurate.

Niether Colt nor Armalite make a left handed AR-15. Why should a lefty be forced to accept a very expensive right handed gun when he can have a dedicated left handed gun that costs much less and is just as accurate as the right handed gun?

Housezealot

Regarding the lefty situation, a brass deflector on a right-handed upper will have you covered
+1
I have fired a lot of AR's and have never caught brass ejecting. both AR's I have owned have been standard righties. also you may consider that the military issues lefties a standard M4 so that might give you piece of mind.
now I have caught some casings from mini 14's though

Kurbsky

I ordered my Stag 2T today and they told me it's on its way. I can hardly wait! Stag advertises this model very aggressively - it's in all gun magazines.
I didn't buy it becuase of advertising, of course.