Thinking about getting a lever action, but.....

chris in va

I absolutely adore my new sidegate Henry 357. Feeds all my 38/357 reloads like butter. Just make sire they have a round-ish bullet profile and all is good.

On a side note I partially traded an AR toward it, don't regret it in the least.

std7mag

I have heard of people down loading 357 Magnum cases to 38 Special velocities.
Just an option i thought i'd throw out there.

Straitshot

I am an old west memorabilia nut so I like all lever action rifles. My all time favorite lever rifles however are Winchesters. I have Marlin, Savage, and Sharps rifles as well, but as stated my favorite are the Winchesters. I almost always only clean the bore from the breach end using a pull type cleaning devise on them all except the Sharps rifles. I seldom if ever tear a rifle down to clean the internal parts except the Sharps since they usually don't need it unless you are shooting black powder or have exposed the rifle to excessive moisture and dirt. After years of collecting I still do not own a Henry and it isn't because I think they are not good rifles because I do. It is just at the current price of lever rifles I tend to lean to the ones that are my favorite. In fact here is a photo of my most recent purchase, my Winchester 1892 Deluxe Sporting Takedown rifle in .45 colt. I have two Winchester rifles in .357, one being a 1892 model and the other a 1873 model and they are both excellent shooters. I have not tried shooting .38 special ammo from either of them as I simply reload some of my .357 ammo to lower velocities.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04725-1.JPG
    DSC04725-1.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:

Hellcat1

I am an old west memorabilia nut so I like all lever action rifles. My all time favorite lever rifles however are Winchesters. I have Marlin, Savage, and Sharps rifles as well, but as stated my favorite are the Winchesters. I almost always only clean the bore from the breach end using a pull type cleaning devise on them all except the Sharps rifles. I seldom if ever tear a rifle down to clean the internal parts except the Sharps since they usually don't need it unless you are shooting black powder or have exposed the rifle to excessive moisture and dirt. After years of collecting I still do not own a Henry and it isn't because I think they are not good rifles because I do. It is just at the current price of lever rifles I tend to lean to the ones that are my favorite. In fact here is a photo of my most recent purchase, my Winchester 1892 Deluxe Sporting take down rifle in .45 colt. I have two Winchester rifles in .357, one being a 1892 model and the other a 1873 model and they are both excellent shooters. I have not tried shooting .38 special ammo from either of them as I simply reload some of my .357 ammo to lower velocities.

attachment.php
Beautiful rifle, Straitshot! You obviously have good taste! Looks like the big brother to my 1892 Deluxe Trapper Takedown, in .357 Mag (bottom), and cousin to my Model 94 Deluxe Short Rifle, in 38-55:

full

Frank

Straitshot

Hellcat1, Nice! Love your 1892 Trapper Takedown. Wouldn't mind owning one of those myself, but I emptied the slush fund piggy bank on my recent purchase so will have to wait awhile before the next buy. I already have a nice 1894 in 38-55 I picked up a few years ago.

Hellcat1

Hellcat1, Nice! Love your 1892 Trapper Takedown. Wouldn't mind owning one of those myself, but I emptied the slush fund piggy bank on my recent purchase so will have to wait awhile before the next buy. I already have a nice 1894 in 38-55 I picked up a few years ago.
Thanks, Straitshot! The trapper is really fun to shoot, and I would highly recommend it if you get the chance to get one down the road.

Regarding your 38-55, hopefully you were able to get some ammo for it before it became unobtanium, and/or you reload it. I just recently bought mine, and have had to pay through the nose for ammo so far. I finally was able to get my hands on some reloading components for it, so hopefully, going forward, I can afford to shoot more than 10 rounds per range session. :rolleyes:

Frank

Straitshot

Helcat1,

I did get ammo, around 150 rounds and I bought around 150 Starline brass and plenty of lead cast bullets so I am set for my two 38-55's.

jag1954

I have 3 Henrys in .22LR, .357mag/.38spl and .45 Colt. All great shooters.

Attachments

• Hnery brothers.jpg
    Hnery brothers.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 43

Prof Young

Maybe start small . . . .

I've owned two Henry's. One in 45c and one in 22LR. They were both fun guns with no intended hunting purpose. I enjoyed shooting the 22 LR as much as the 45c and the 22, of course, is far cheaper to feed.

Life is good
Prof Young

Crunchy Frog

A lever action .357 is a great rifle. Very popular in cowboy action shooting where most of us use .38 Special ammo. I have seen rifles that would feed .357s but not .38 special and vice versa. If you handload and choose the right bullet shape (a truncated cone flat point is usually good) you can usually figure out a cartridge that your rifle likes.

I agree that the Marlin is the easiest to disassemble for deep cleaning. As the Henry Big Boy is based on the Marlin 336, it is probably pretty easy but I have not tried them. The Winchester 1892 (as in The Rifleman) is probably the most difficult with the 1866/1873 being in the middle. That said I don’t find it necessary to break mine down for deep cleaning very often. I try to do it once a year.

RIDE-RED 350r

A Winchester Takedown is about the easiest rifle to disassemble. Rarely would anyone need to strip the bolt and other inner workings out of the reciever for cleaning. A Takedown Winchester can be in two pieces in under 30 seconds. Makes for super easy cleaning of the bore.

I have an 1886 Takedown and absolutely love it! Some nice Winchesters posted here gents!

bamaranger

Marlin/.357

The Marlins are the easiest lever rifles to clean , a single screw is removed and the lever, bolt and ejector easily removed (and replaced) without hassle. Said disassembly also allows cleaning the bore from the breech end, preferred to ease wear on the crown/muzzle. Can't advise on a Henry, but taking down a Winchester is a chore and takes some knack as well. What the future of Marlin levers will be with the sale to Ruger remains to be seen.

For your interests, the .357 IS the better choice, wide ammo selection as discussed, with broad power range.

Rifletom

As others have mentioned, the Marlins and Henrys dis-assemble the same. Very easy.
I have the Henry in .357[BB brass] and .45 Colt[BB steel] and they are fine shooters. Both with 20" barrels. I understand Ruger is trying their best, but, Henry isn't a bad option. At all. That's my opinion.

stagpanther

I have a number of different lever guns from 4 different manufacturers--but my personal opinion is it's unAmerican to not have at least a 336 in 30-30.:)

colt357

1892 Trapper takedown

Love the 1892 Deluxe Trapper Takedown. I actually have 2, one in .357 Mag and one in .45 Colt.

Great, handy little guns that are a hoot to shoot, and really nice looking too.

Regards,
Colt