Thinking about buying a revolver could use advice.

Jimbo-Indy

You may consider a S&W 610 since it will take .40 ammo with moon clips and you can up to 10mm (with or without moon clips) if you want more power. It's built on the N frame, same as the model 29, 44 mag or Dirty Harry fame. They are not in production now but 'smith does run some off every few years. You might find a good used one. I have one w/ 6 1/2" barrel. I shoot this one best of all my revolvers. Throws a 180 gr. slug @ 1350 FPS (I hand load).

GP100man

Did someone call my Dan Wessons ugly??

Yeah .kind of :eek:

But I still wish I had my pack back ;)

Colts are`nt on my list anymore , don`t ask !

savit260

A S&W 625 is a blast. I have the JM version but any will do.

That seems to be the logical choice if you ask me.

The O.P. want s a large frame, and already has a 45. Not having to keep another calibre on hand is nice, and .45 acp is pretty reasonably priced. Also the model 625 is reasonably easy to come by.

The other sensible option would be the a 610 if you can find one, as it can fire the .40 S&W the O.P. also aready has on hand.

There are a TON of N frame S&W aftermarket grips available in wood, or any other material you can think of.

The GP100 is also a great gun, but 1. It's not a large frame. It's a mid size. 2. Not a lot of selection for wooden grips. There are a few, but you're fairly limited.

tynman

I was thinking but I dont know when of the .380 in either sig, kahr, bersa, or a walther. But Im in no hurry for this. I am going to call my LGS and order my sig p220 super match tomorrow and hopfully find out how long I will have to wait for the del... Then if I dont run into a good deal for the revolver before then thats when Ill start to look for a revolver...

Thanks Again for all the help..

tynman

I agree a .50 is way uncalled for.. I like the idea of the 357 which I can use 38s if I cant find 357s...
I like the 6 inch or 8 inch barrel that I know...

Last edited:

stepmac

If I was in the market for a new revolver I'd look for a .357 mag. You can shoot the .38 special in it and even a 38 S&W. Most folks do. For plinking a 38 special is just the ticket. You don't think a 357 is powerful enough? Shoot a hotly loaded one. A .357 mag is no toy.

You will not enjoy shooting a 44 mag, but you can for a few shots. I like a 45 Long Colt and load them pretty light. Pleasant to shoot and they make a big hole which is kind of satisfying. I like the Smith 25's. Some are .45 acp and others 45 Long Colt. If you buy a .44 mag you'll end up shooting 44 Specials, everybody does. They are nice and can be loaded down to be comfortable to shoot.

Get the .357 and shoot 38's and have a ball. If you want to do real damage shoot the magnum round. See if you can find an old Combat Masterpiece, or Ruger Blackhawk.

tynman

stepmac No I never said a 357 wasn't big enough. I just don't want to go broke with the ammo for a .44 or .50 and I already have a .40 and a .45 on its way.. I am also eying up a .380 acp today so a 357 would be right in the middle right where I need it....LOL go thing I filed for 3 purchase permits today..

tynman

Well I would like to thank everyone for there help with there info. I just put a deposit on a rugar GP-100 today .357 stainless. And I also put a deposit on a Walther's S&W PPK/S-1 .380 two tone...
Now I just have to wait for the state to send me the purchase permits... And then go back the next 2 months to pick it up...1 hand gun every 31 days here in NJ......LOL

tomrkba

tynman,

Go to triggershims.com and buy their shims and spring kit. This will clean up the trigger quite a bit. Use their 11# hammer spring and the 8# trigger return spring. The 11# spring should ignite all primers (it does in my GP100). Try the 12# if you have problems.

Ruger GP100 in a Milt Sparks PMK holster.
GP100-in-PMK_zps32c8ccae.jpg

tynman

You dont clean the pistol with regular Breakfree CLP? Cause thats what I use for my rifles and my glock.

tynman

tomrkba Now I got you. It will make the trigger and hammer smoother....LOL Sorry I didnt understand at first...
Thanks

KBP

revolver advice

I just bought my second 41 magnum. If you reload, its not that expensive to shoot. I have one for protection. a S&W model 57 4 inch barrel, and my new one a Ruger Redhawk stainless steel with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and a 2x Leopold scope- for hunting deer and bear. Decide what you want it for and make an investment. Buy a gently used one and watch the value go up and up as you enjoy a caliber thats mostly overlooked and powerful!

wap41

a S&W or Ruger 357,that way you can shoot inexpensive 38special target loads but still have 357 available

drklude

I looked into it pretty heavily about 6 months ago and settled on the GP100. Probably put 500 rounds through it and haven't had a single doubt with my decision. Love the option of the .357, but shoot primarily .38 at the range. I plan on adding a lever gun in the future as well and really like the versatility of ammo in both a rifle and a revolver.