Thinking about a training class, where should I start?

Limnophile

What good would my estimate be for anyone when the probability of it being even reasonably close to someone else's is nil?

Why isn't JohnKSa's itemized list good enough for you to use to itemize costs and find a more accurate total?

Why is it more important for you to know what estimate I come up with that would hold little to no value to further answer the OP's question?

Why are you ganging up on me to suppress my polite request?

Our rules specifically state it's within privilege to attack another statement. None of his, or anyone else's comments, used any derogatory descriptives. Can't say the same for yours, especially using the current press secretary to help paint a picture. While you have one finger pointing at someone else, be advised you have 3 fingers pointing back when doing so. I would advise to move forward.

The use of straw-man argumentation is derogatory.

Characterizing an argument as "Karine Jean-Pierre-tier" is a permissible attact on the argument, not the man making it.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The voluminous effort you've put in to criticizing my request along with your fallacious argumentation fits the definition of "vehement" to a tee:
That definition is, of course, correct. It's just that nothing I've posted fits it.
The purpose of my polite request — "Could you please provide an annual cost estimate for adhering to this regimen?" — was not to extrapolate Deja vu's costs to me, but to see what he believes a reasonable training regimen costs. I assume you are motivated to suppress his disclosure (feel free to correct me, if necessary) because you know his proposed regimen is outside the means of the average American.
1. Nobody suppressed anything. He's always been free to respond if he wanted.

2. In other words, as asserted several times, by more than one person, his response will, in fact, provide no useful information to you (you claim you already know what he would say) and my rationale was exactly correct, not fallacious as you assert. Your request was a gambit to provide fodder to attack his recommendation, not, in fact, merely a polite request for information as you suggest.
Too many states are imposing high priced training requirements that puts the cost of statutory carry outside the reach of many.
No one on this thread is recommending that the government mandate training.
To top that off by recommending a $1,000-ish annual training regimen is absurd from the perspective of the middle class and smacks of elitism.
Of course it doesn't "smack of elitism". Let's assume your number is correct. What's really absurd is the idea that the average American doesn't have $20-ish a week of disposable income. According to the latest numbers, the average American spends more than $1000 a year on coffee alone. :D
When I got my CPL in 2012, I resolved to hit the range once a month and fire 100 rounds. I kept this up for 9 months until my disabilities progressed to the point I was unable to continue. Pre-Newton, my monthly cost was about $45. I thought this reasonable, but those days seem to be over. More importantly, $45/mo is not going to be affordable on most "working class" incomes.
Nobody is indicting you because you can't, or choose not to follow a training regimen someone recommended on the internet.

If you don't agree, you just provide your own take on the subject--as you finally got around to once it was clear you weren't going to be able to spring the trap you planned--and then everyone can discuss it dispassionately.

101combatvet

I am interested, and I'm sure others would be also, in knowing the annualized cost of the proposed training regimen. An exact estimate is not necessary; an order of magnitude will suffice.
Recently I spoke to a guy who took the Maryland CCW course; he paid $850. I teach that course for $200. Granted, some instructors provide a pistol and ammunition to the student to be used in the live fire exercise, but still, that difference is unbelievable. I didn't ask him if his course provided the pistol and ammunition. So, coming up with an estimate of costs would depend more on your shooting habits, what you want to learn, and your selected instructor.

GE-Minigun

Could you please provide an annual cost estimate for adhering to this regimen?
Quick look on the...

1) Thunder Ranch - Defensive Handgun - $1300
2) Local to me - Level 2 Pistol - $200
3) Local to me - USPSA - $100
4) Local to me - $25 (I reload, so ammo is lower cost), also membership is not considered
5) $0

So approx. $1650 for me, needless to say someone is going to mention it cost me "X" times more, or "X" times less...there is no pleasing some on here. So there you have it.

CCCLVII

Quick look on the...

1) Thunder Ranch - Defensive Handgun - $1300
2) Local to me - Level 2 Pistol - $200
3) Local to me - USPSA - $100
4) Local to me - $25 (I reload, so ammo is lower cost), also membership is not considered
5) $0

So approx. $1650 for me, needless to say someone is going to mention it cost me "X" times more, or "X" times less...there is no pleasing some on here. So there you have it.
He did say that thunder ranch was once in a lifetime (more only if you can afford it) so I would not count that.

so basically $300 a year on top of range fees and ammo costs.

Deja vu

1. Once a life time (or once a decade if you can afford it) attend a major firearms school ($150 if you average it out over a decade)
2. Once a year attend a local training ($200)
3. Once a month attend some kind of firearms competition. ($100)
4. Once a week go to the range.
5. Once a day do dry fire practice.

So being a little heavy on costs its about $500 a year +ammo and range fees.
It is expensive but less so that buying a good gun in a year.