Thinking about a Glock19

ciwsguy

Wow, that's not good, this is dangerous, There are a few youtube on Kabooms with glock. That's a deal breaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9O-wVfQ-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U3hlcJRtPY
One more word on this pair of videos. He was shooting handloads (which Glock says not to do) and one round was over-crimped which resulted in improper headspace on a high pressure round. This may be different from the factory ammo Kaboom I experienced and his KB resulted in a destroyed handgun. Mine did not result in a destroyed handgun.
Bottom line is ANY gun can Kaboom under the most inappropriate situations to which they are exposed. I wouldn’t hold this KB against Glock.

ericuda

Jeez, a kaboom with a glock may be as rare as finding local ammo right now. I would be guessing but I bet the g17/19 have shot more 9mm rounds down range than any other make or model. Law of averages, poor reloaded ammo is probably the cause of most issues.

To answer the original question, yes a g19 is a good choice and i would also recommend a g19 mos. I got mine because as others have posted before if you are in a tight spot and need a pistol that works in any condition there is none better.

Alan0354

Thanks for all the replies, I watched more videos and read more, sounded like it's the .40 that is more likely to KB, then the 10mm as they just make the chamber larger to fit the bigger bullets without increasing the outer dimension. Thereby the chamber wall is thinner than the ones for 9mm. I have no interest in 10mm or .40, so that's not a big deal.

From the description, the back of the casing protrude out more and is not supported by the chamber wall, particularly the 6o'clock feedramp area. That's where the pictures of the exploded casing looked to be. I guess like a little oversized chamber to increase reliability, making the feedramp not as steep an angle increase reliability of feeding, but expose more of the casing unsupported.

Shadow9mm

A glock should be good to go out of the box, although personally I would tear it down and lube it myself. I have heard of people taking new glocks, straight of the the box, and shooting matches with them.

zeke

After 4 generations, finally bought one of the new fangled Glocks (19). Didn't buy it for a target pistol, but for it's reported reliability, durability, limited maintenance, excellent affordable mags and easily found accessories.

It does not fit my hand as well as some others, but i can adapt to it. After shooting it awhile, found my favorite feature was the cheap plastic sites. Am calling them the old man sights, as the white outlines are easy to line up fast without precise aiming.

For me it is not as easy to conceal as others, the trigger less refined and it is butt ugly (relatively). As i get older the practicality of it may win out, especially with how the mags interchange with some small carbines.

As it got shot more, the trigger improved a little. The only mod done to it was to get an extended threaded barrel, which dropped right in and increased accuracy.

Glad i bought it, and it won't be sold off.

Alan0354

I am still looking at the Kaboom stuff, seems like every time I type something like pistol kaboom, Glock kept coming up and lots of pictures of Glock Kaboom. They showed picture the lack of support at 6 o'clock where the feedramp is and that's the most common spot of blowing out. I don't recall seeing any S&W semiauto kaboom picture. Seems like the chamber wall of the glock is very thin and don't have much margin of error.

BTW, I found a store selling Glock 19, they want $659 + tax and something. That's a lot higher than the MSRP I recall. Is this because of being in people's republic of Kalifornia?

FITASC

It really isn't that high with the current political climate and the added costs of compliance with the laws in CA by the dealers.

My LGS sold my used Gen 3 for a little over 600 several months ago- and I am in Florida where guns are easier to obtain.

Sanch

Sgt127 is shooting bull's eyes. Times have changed. I used to own a Colt Series 70 1911-A1 .45 auto. I sunk more than the cost of the gun in attempt to get it to shoot accurately and reliably. After dropping a lot of money trying to get it to become reliable, which it never was, I sold it. No regrets. A Springfield Armory 1911-A1, especially its TRP, manufacturers accurate and reliable 1911-A1s right out of the box. I'd buy entry level Springfield Armory 1911-A1 before any Colt. Colt is living off of its name, not its quality. My TRP ran flawlessly and accurately right out of its factory box.

Springfield Armory 1911-A1s are made in the USA, including frames, of forged steel.

I've read and have heard that a Springfield Armory TRP survived a 50k round test without any problem. Due to its construction (forged steel), I doubt anyone could put enough rounds through a TRP to cause any malfunction. However, I have not been able to verify that 50k round claim. However, it's probably true. There was a reason that Chris Kyle carried a TRP in combat. The TRP is the factory produced iteration of Springfield Armory's famed Professional Model, which was formally known as the FBI Gun.

All gun owners have 'em. My opinion is the TRP is the best factory produced 1911-A1 on the market.

Sanch

Hi Alan0354,

Glock fans remind me of college football fans. Alumni, especially of Penn State and Ohio State, have unassailable commitment to their schools' football teams. Glock has a substantial and extremely loyal following. My guess is the Glock 17 and 22 dominate Western countries' law enforcement agencies issued duty handguns.

Do not possess any handgun mag in CA that holds more than 10 rounds.

If you're committed to Glock, I won't and assuredly can't alter your decision. However, if you're in the market for an excellent quality 9MM, take a long look at a Sig P229. I love my Sig P229 .40 S&W. It is the most reliable handgun I've carried.

Alan0354

Hi Alan0354,

Glock fans remind me of college football fans. Alumni, especially of Penn State and Ohio State, have unassailable commitment to their schools' football teams. Glock has a substantial and extremely loyal following. My guess is the Glock 17 and 22 dominate Western countries' law enforcement agencies issued duty handguns.

Do not possess any handgun mag in CA that holds more than 10 rounds.

If you're committed to Glock, I won't and assuredly can't alter your decision. However, if you're in the market for an excellent quality 9MM, take a long look at a Sig P229. I love my Sig P229 .40 S&W. It is the most reliable handgun I've carried.

I am not set on Glock particularly a lot of incidences of Kaboom. I am still looking. I am going straightly with 9mm. If I want big rounds, I have the Gold Cup already.

I know what you mean about Colt's name is much bigger than it's quality. I own a Gold Cup, it is sloppy. It was not reliable out of the box. I did a lot of gun smithing on my own to make it reliable ( except with Blazer hollow point as the mouth looks more like an ashtray). I had to squeeze the slide, change the link to make it tight. I had to polish the feedramp and chamber, I had to reshape the extractor and polish the ejector port to stop it from stovepiping.

I can see the machine tool mark in the slide, it was just so sloppily made, it's a Gold Cup!!! I looked at a Springfield 1911, it was tight out of the box.

I have a S&W 659 that I made it very reliable, so I don't want a steel gun this time. I really want a polymer one. I am a true believer of polymer, I believe they are stronger and more durable than aluminum frame. It's a lot lighter than steel gun.

Sanch

Hi Alan0354,

At one time, Colt was the 1911-A1 to own. For some reason, its quality has declined. A Springfield Armory rep told me that his company didn't consider Colt its competition.

Some 40 years ago, 2 gunsmiths, one of national fame, told me that the S&W Model 27-2 was the best revolver ever manufactured to include the Colt Python. I wish I bought one. Anyway, marketers can become ingenious when it comes to convincing consumers to buy their products. Why does any handgun, especially a revolver, need a vent rib?

There are a lot of excellent quality 1911-A1s available to consumers. I honestly cannot write that one brand is better than others, assuming top-tier manufacturers. It pares to preference. For me, Springfield Armory's 1911-A1s have demonstrated flawless reliability and incredible accuracy. I know that other 1911-A1 aficionados have the identical sentiments about their favorite brands. Springfield Armory 1911-A1s (including its EMP models) are made in America by American craftsmen using highest quality materials (forged steel). I'll always support American workers if possible.

If I can offer advice that you seem to already know: always buy what's right for you, not what's right for others. And I agree with you: well made polymer handguns are of excellent quality. If you're good with polymer, that's the way you should go. However, I doubt that there's a significant weight differential between polymer and aircraft quality aluminum frames. My Sig P229's frame is feather light.

A point about lightweight handguns: they can be be difficult to keep on target. Too much cartridge in too light a handgun can produce adverse consequences. I couldn't imagine firing a .357 Mag round out of a "J" Frame. Worse, I doubt that a .357 Mag round out of a "J" belly gun would produce increased efficacy vis-a-vis a .38 Special +P round. However, you are right: weight is a huge concern for urban concealed carry. For wilderness carry, I go with my TRP loaded with 230 grain Fed HST LE +P loads. I use it for mean critter defense to include griz.

I can remember problems Glocks demonstrated when they were introduced. I'm almost positive that those problems have been long ago resolved.

I wish you the absolute best with your choice.

BTW, I live in the totalitarian state of CA. Its oppressive Amendment II infringements harm gun owners. Do politicians really believe that marauding felons are worried about its standard capacity magazine ban? Has any felon surrendered his standard capacity magazine because they're illegal? That law was designed to make felons out of law abiding America citizens as a method of de facto, back door gun confiscation.

Alan0354

Hi Sanch, it's going to get worst after Wednesday if you know what I mean. That's the reason I am even thinking about buying new guns. I have plenty already, just not a light weight big enough caliber gun. I either have really small, but weak rounds or really big ones. the polymer 9mm just fit the in between. When I got out of guns, Glock just came out, that's why I look first into Glock. But seems like time has change, I have to relearn what's in and what's out. I am not ruling out Glock, just keep looking and learning.

Also, even I keep all my bullets cool dry place away from the floor, they are over 20 years old, they still look like new, but it's time to get some new ones. But I think mine are still good though.

Thanks

Last edited:

Alan0354

Thanks

I did look at CZ75, it's steel, very heavy. I have my S&W659 that is very reliable and have only less than 1000 rounds through it. It's still looking new and more importantly, having 2 14 rounds and one 20 rounds mag. I don't need another big heavy one. Things will change for the worst come Wednesday, it's time to dust off some guns and go to the range.

I used to go to the range with my wife twice a week for years, but I got out of it since the early 90s. It got boring shooting papers. But now, time changed.....for the worst. So I am kind of back in it again. Ha ha, I need to buy more .38 bullets, I got more .38 guns than bullets!!! I barely can load 3 revolvers and 3 speed loaders.............if you guys still remember the good old days speed loader for revolvers!!!

9mm polymer medium size is the gap I am missing, something big enough to be very reliable, not heavy. For pocket size, I already have two S&W model 36 revolvers. For smaller size, can't beat that. All the pocket 9mm are only about 6 rounds, 36 is 5 rounds of .38, can't beat the reliability of a revolver!!!

I am a little nervous with really small semiauto with 9mm. heavier slide, longer feedramp definitely help improving reliability. It's much harder to make a 12oz 9mm auto very reliable. So, turn out the 5 rounds good old S&W model 36 is as good as any pocket auto 9mm.

Last edited:

AK103K

I wouldnt get to hung up on the kaboom thing. If you search "handgun kaboom" and then click on "images", youll find all sorts of guns blowing up. It happens with any of them, and for various reasons. Glock isnt special here, nor is it the king. It just gets a lot of attention from the haters, and what goes on there is very much like what goes on with Trump and the media. ;)

The only way to know whats best for you, is to actually get out there and get the guns that interest you, shoot the snot out of them, and prove one of them is "the one". "You" have to do your own homework and that involves more than just talking about things.

No other way to do it, and over time, that one is likely to change too. You just really picked the wrong time to figure it out, and also live in the wrong place.

TunnelRat

Thanks

I did look at CZ75, it's steel, very heavy. I have my S&W659 that is very reliable and have only less than 1000 rounds through it. It's still looking new and more importantly, having 2 14 rounds and one 20 rounds mag. I don't need another big heavy one. Things will change for the worst come Wednesday, it's time to dust off some guns and go to the range.

I used to go to the range with my wife twice a week for years, but I got out of it since the early 90s. It got boring shooting papers. But now, time changed.....for the worst. So I am kind of back in it again. Ha ha, I need to buy more .38 bullets, I got more .38 guns than bullets!!! I barely can load 3 revolvers and 3 speed loaders.............if you guys still remember the good old days speed loader for revolvers!!!

9mm polymer medium size is the gap I am missing, something big enough to be very reliable, not heavy. For pocket size, I already have two S&W model 36 revolvers. For smaller size, can't beat that. All the pocket 9mm are only about 6 rounds, 36 is 5 rounds of .38, can't beat the reliability of a revolver!!!

I am a little nervous with really small semiauto with 9mm. heavier slide, longer feedramp definitely help improving reliability. It's much harder to make a 12oz 9mm auto very reliable. So, turn out the 5 rounds good old S&W model 36 is as good as any pocket auto 9mm.

The CZ pictured doesn’t have a steel frame. It’s an alloy framed CZ 75 P-01. It weighs 28 oz. and is roughly the size of a Glock 19.

A SIG P365 is about as pocketable as a J-frame and holds 10 rd of 9mm.

If you want to get a Glock 19 great. I’ve owned about a dozen Glocks, I still own two. I’ve put thousands of rounds through mine and never had a “kaboom”. Lots of things have happened with pistols and you can find a Google search result for most of them. If you can’t move passed that in your head then I suggest you purchase something else rather than spend your time owning the pistol not being able to have confidence in it. The market is saturated with polymer-framed striker-fired pistols roughly the size of a Glock 19 (although how many are available in CA I don’t know).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: