Thinking about .357 SiG...who has 'em?

juliet charley

They are only "big differences" in your opinion. The difference in ME between the 9x19 and 357 is not near as significant as you opine. The difference in what is actually measured in very small--the unit of measure (fpe) makes the difference look more signficant than it really is.

What's more ME does not equal better "stopping power" when comparing handgun ammunition. The 9x19 deliver virtually identical penetration and expansion (which equates to tissue damage which equates to effectiveness). Whether you are looking at lab results or the results of actual LE use, the 9x19 and 357 SIG are delivering identical results. Both manage to maximize the performance 124-148 .36 calibre current generation, premium bullets. The only difference is the 9x19 offers more capacity and shootability, and less muzzle flip and muzzle blast than the 357 SIG (not to mention considerably less expensive practice ammo--which should equal more better placement and more critical tissue damage).

the difference is the 357 mag and the 357sig does not have the horrible stopping failures that the 9 x 19 has

the diffrence is the 9mm is the most questioned round of the major calibers in regards to is it good enough to get the job done

juliet charley

The difference exists because the 9x19 has been around almost a hundred years.

With current generation, premium JHPs, the 9x19 has proved to be just as effective as the 357 SIG in actual LE use.

You load the 357 SIG with underpowered (thanks to SAAMI specs) 115-grain FMJs and see how it does.

philoguy

I have a Sig P239 in 357Sig and it's so much fun to shoot, I'll never get rid of it. With the hogue wrap around grips it's no problem to handle. My gf is tiny and it was the first hand gun she ever shot and she did great and can't wait to go back. I pay ~$15 per 50 rd. box. Is that average?

Mike P. Wagner

Striker1,

To answer some of the questions you did ask :), I have shot both a Cougar 8357 and a SIG P239 in 357 SIG. Both were fun and absolutely reliable for the time that I shot them.

Gun-Test magazine has raved a couple of times about the P239 in 357 SIG. I think one of the articles was "Guns of the FBI" - I think a .40, the P239 and a S&W .45 of some variety. Later, they did a comparison between several Glocks, the P226, the P239, and one other SIG. In each case, they claimed that the P239 seemed to be a perfect marriage of pistol and cartridge.

The Cougar worked very well for me. I'm sort of partial to it because the rotary action intrigues me. I boguht a CZ-52 just because it had an unusual mechanism.

I have to be honest - while the Cougar 8357 was 100% reliable, the next week a Cougar 8000 did not go into battery for me. The guy working at the range cleaned it, and it worked just fine. As cool as I think the Cougar is, there's a long slot in the slide that a lug on the barrel rides in. If that slide gets gunked up (these are abused rental guns), then the gun will not go into battery.

If I was going to plunk down the money today for a new pistol, I would be torn. The P239 and Cougar are both really good guns. Both can shoot better than I do.

If money is at all a concern, SIG has a "Certified Pre-Owned" program where SIG factory armorers inspect and repair used weapons. They look like a pretty good deal.

The SIG P226 is legendary, and the 357 SIG version has a beefed up slide just for that caliber.

The Beretta PX4 Storm is supposed to come out in 357 SIG later this year.

There are a lot of good choices in 357 SIG. The Highway Patrol in my state (NC) uses the Cougar 8357, as do several other state agencies. A lot of local agencies in this state seem to be moving to the 357 SIG - most the Cougars or the SIGs (mostly 229 as I recall).

Mike

litework

I think there have been a lot of interesting posts regarding the 357 Sig and the 9mm. I would have to say that a strong argument has been made that a 9mm with proper ammo can be as effective as the 357 Sig. I have a few questions that I don’t think have been asked/answered in this thread. Would the 357 Sig's additional speed increase the probability of expansion? I have noticed that ammunition manufacturers will post their statistics, but I haven’t noticed a repeatability figure that would indicate how consistently the bullet performs “as expected.” Also, would the increased velocity found in the 357 Sig be any advantage when distances increase beyond the typical test parameters? Has anyone done a study on this? Just curious.

Jart

I got one in a SIG P239. It was an impulse purchase devoid of any research or agonizing over its place in the universe of calibers.

That admission aside, it turned out to be great fun to shoot which, for me, trumps any objective consideration because I tend to practice more with stuff that's fun.

The P239 was sorta-kinda close in profile to my P7 while remaining fun. I bought the P239 a Milt Sparks VM2 for Christmas and take it everywhere.

A goodly number of 357SIG pistols can be mutated into a .40 with a simple barrel change. Thus, it's not like you're getting married to the round. Should you decide it's too expensive, loud, muzzle flashy, insufficiently different than 9X19 or bottlenecked just swap 'er out.

One evil aspect of the P239 in 357 is that I'm happy enough with it that it's taken all the urgency out of "project custom CCO". I hope to get back to it soon but, right now, I can't see it replacing the P239.

NBT

:p

If you have the money and want a "fun" gun that does incredible damage to targets then go for the trade.
Why is it fun? Because it's a flatter shooting, more accurate round than then .40sw & .45acp. It will blow off bigger chunks from a concrete brick than the .45. It's a faster bullet with a louder "bang".

A BIGGER hole (.45) does not guarantee stopping a bad guy.
Personally I prefer a .357sig gold dot hollowpoint bullet to EXIT my assailant. I rather they bleed from BOTH ends.

juliet charley

litework -
Would the 357 Sig's additional speed increase the probability of expansion?
No, the bullets are designed for optimum performance at their nominal velocity. Both the 9x19 and 357 SIG have the same probability (and rate) of expansion.
NBT -
A BIGGER hole (.45) does not guarantee stopping a bad guy.
NEITHER does a SMALLER hole (.36). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Willy T

Someone please stop me but the .357 in SIG is next on my shopping list. Anyone know the smallest and lightest available? Seems like an excellant carry caliber.

NBT

I believe the Glock 33 is the smallest .357sig Auto, not sure though. Does have optional extended mags for more capacity.
glock33main.jpg

Sig's P239 might be next up, I would recommend this... cuz I'm a Sig fan.
239TTone_left.jpg

The HK USPC is a bit fatter, quality firearm.
usp357c.jpg