Thin and Light DA/SA 9mm?

Cosmodragoon

Friends, I prefer all my carry guns to be DA/SA. I'd rather have a decocker than a manual safety but that's not necessarily a deal breaker. Barring any discussion of the merits of those preferences, I'm looking for a 9mm that's thin and light. I'm familiar with the CZ Rami, the Sig P239, and the reissued P225. Is there a thinner or lighter choice out there? Is there a polymer option that starts getting down into PPS/Shield territory?

As always, thanks in advance. I look forward to seeing your recommendations. If this is an impossible dream, good alternatives to the three I mentioned are also welcome.

TunnelRat

The P30sk or P2000sk are pretty light and good shooters and basically as thin as a P239, with decocker too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigJimP

I 'm not sure you're looking at this the best way.....when it comes to a defensive gun, it needs to fit your hands so you can shoot it effectively....so, to me, lighter is not the key issue...you want DA/SA. ..9mm..../ what don't you like about a significant 239 that I assume you've shot ??

A good holster, a good belt .....and a few ounces ----- for a gun you like and shoot well...is irrelevant to me...

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

BigJimP, I've got a few different carry guns. With changing weather or wardrobe, I like to have the best tool for the job. I practice with anything that's in rotation. Sure, I'm naturally better with a full-sized gun but that only happens in winter or out on the trail. On the other end of the spectrum, there are times when I think it would be handy to have something in league with a Shield or PPS in my preferred action style. So far, I don't know of any such gun.

I've handled a P239 but I haven't had the chance to shoot one. It is definitely the thinnest option listed so far. However, it is longer, taller, and heavier than the Rami or either of the HK double-stacks recommended by TunnelRat. It holds a few less but that's what lets it win in width. Would you say that it's an exceptional shooter for its size?

Right now, I'm just keeping an open mind and enjoying recommendations.

Last edited:

Homerboy

S&W 3913/3914/908/908S. All of these are single stack 8 round mags. Or the S&W CS9 with a 7 round single stack mag. If you want a double stack with more rounds the S&W 6906/6904 have the same width slide but a fatter grip to allow for the double stack mag.

The beretta px4 Storm subcompact might also fit the bill. And those can be easily converted to decocker only.

TunnelRat

Having owned both the P239 and the P2000sk I'll put it out there that the 0.07 difference in width wasn't noticeable for me personally. The weight definitely was, but I actually shoot the P2000sk noticeably better. I'm also not a fan of the flat front strap on the P239. Hogue wrap around grips can fix that, but at that point you've removed the width advantage.

Last edited:

Brutus

I gave up on that quest and and bought the only striker I own a Kahr P9. It's a good gun and has been totally reliable, still I too prefer a DA/SA and would like to see CZ bring out a single stack version of my PCR.

Cosmodragoon

S&W 3913/3914/908/908S. All of these are single stack 8 round mags. Or the S&W CS9 with a 7 round single stack mag. If you want a double stack with more rounds the S&W 6906/6904 have the same width slide but a fatter grip to allow for the double stack mag.

The beretta px4 Storm subcompact might also fit the bill. And those can be easily converted to decocker only.

I'd forgotten all about those older S&Ws. Thanks for sharing this. It's harder to find specs for some of these older ones but it looks like the 3913 is the thinnest option so far, except for maybe up at those ambidextrous safety levers. It looks like the Ladysmith version has the safety on one side.

That said, I'm not a fan of ambidextrous controls when it just means having protrusions on both sides of a gun. Even on a full-sized range gun, it just feels like having more fiddly bits that I won't ever be using. On small guns being chosen for tighter concealment, it just makes them a harder choice.

sigarms228

My quest for a smaller compact hammer fired pistol ended with the HK P30SK and I love it. I got mine as an LEM, with recessed hammer, but it also comes in DA/SA with or without safety. It is a fairly thin pistol as far as DA/SA hammer fired go and certainly is light. I know of no DA/SA hammer fired pistol that is as thin as my Walther PPS.

A nice bonus with the P30SK is I can carry it with the 10 round magazines or I can use the 13 round HK P2000/UPS-C magazine and X-Grip adapter that allows me a full grip and just a little bit more height making it the height of an HK P2000. I have found even with the 10 rounds I can shoot my P30SK very well.

I have been CCW my P30SK in a Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion holster but also have an Ozark single clip kydex IWB on the way.

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

Since the compact versions of the P30, 2000, and px4 have come up, this gets me thinking about the P99c. I only have personal experience with the standard P99, which is itself a sort of mid-size pistol. It's novel in that it's a DA/SA striker gun with a decocker. The decocker, mag release, and take-down lever are flush with the pistol. Only the slide release sticks out and it's not by much. The P99 also has an excellent trigger.

Even with its exceptional ergonomics, the P99c is still on the larger end of what's being considered here. It's less tall and a little thinner than the options from HK but it is longer. Interestingly, the P99c might be the lightest option here. If only Walther would offer a single-stack version of the P99, like a DA/SA version of the otherwise excellent PPS...

Last edited:

TunnelRat

As some have pointed out, one advantage of these double stacks is the ability to carry the magazines from their larger brethren for backup. You're adding in many cases a very small amount of width for a lot greater potential capacity. It's one reason I carry a Glock 26 over a 43.

JJ45

TunnelRat, I see you carry a Glock so you must not be adverse to striker fire pistols

My semis include Colt and Springfield full size 1911s. Ruger P90 and P97 (both de-cock only). Several Makarov PM 9X18s. A Ruger MK II standard 22/45 and a Ruger 22/45 Target.

BUT my favorite is a recently acquired Ruger 9E 9MM and it's my only 9X19 and my only striker fire auto. You probably know it's the "plain" version of the SR9.

It doesn't have the snob appeal and cost me only $300 but it has been 100% so far after about 400 rounds. It feels like a 1911 in the hand and is very light but with a high capacity of 17 round mags. I find that I like to carry it more than the others....just my opinion.

I find it remarkable that a high capacity nine can have a grip that feels like a 1911. It also comes with flat or humped grip inserts.

TunnelRat

True those pistols are really thin. My wife has really small hands and that's one of the few pistols that works well for her.

BigJimP

In my hands, the Sig 239 is as small as I can go ...and still effectively shoot it in my tactical drills ( drawing from holster, speed reloads, etc ). I favor a 1911 in all my handgun shooting ...and will once in a while carry a 4" 1911 in an alloy frame - if I don't want to carry the full sized 5" all steel 1911..../ but I can carry the 239..as an option once in a while.

I have a pair of Sig 239's /standard DA/SA in 9mm & .40 S&W...and they are both easy to shoot even with big hands. ( I keep one Sig 239 in my vehicle as a backup / and one hidden in the house )...and they're good training guns for the grandkids or some of the young shooters in the family.

Capacity is not relevent in my view in picking a carry gun ( first and foremost to me, is can you shoot it well - given its size ) -- and too small is an issue / just like too big is a problem...but carrying a spare mag is always smart because the weak link in any semi-auto is the mag in my view. But the 239 is 8+1 in 9mm / 7+1 in .40 S&W.../ 1911's in 9mm these days are 9 or 10 + 1 ...or 8+1 in .45 acp...and since I'm in my mid 60's now with some arthritis, I favor the 1911 in a 9mm.

But at least put the 239 on your short list ...( I know you want a DA/SA so a 1911 is not what you want )...but try and see if you can find a 4" in 9mm to evaluate or use as a comparison.

Last edited:

Radny97

Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro 9mm seems to fit all your criteria. Thin, light, DA\SA, I think you can get them in decocker. 14 rds

P71pilot

What about aluminum framed commander sized or smaller 1911 in 9mm? If course it isn't DA? But you can always manually decock and cock the hammer. It would be extremely easy to shoot well, very slim, comfortable. No recoil.

TunnelRat

^Manually cock the hammer when you need to fire? Yea that sounds about as useless as carrying chamber empty to me. If you're going to carry a 1911 carry it cocked and locked. Don't try making a pistol into something it isn't.

BigJimP

manually decocking the hammer on a 1911....is not a recommended idea / its really easy to let that hammer slip.

1911's are meant to be carried cocked and locked.

A lot of guys have concerns about carrying a handgun cocked and locked - and look for DA/SA type weapons with decockers as a result.../ or they like the idea that in DA, its a heavier trigger pull that may decrease the chance of an accidental discharge --- I understand their points / so I won't talk anyone out of their comfort level - but in many cases, concerns about carrying cocked and locked can be overcome by "training" in my view / but I'm constantly amazed by how many guys I meet casually at the range, who carry everyday, yet have never taken a serious defensive handgun class ...or only shoot 4 or 5 boxes a year - and think their training is sufficient and/or that they practice enough to be competent.

But everyone should be comfortable with their decision ...and shoot and carry whatever suits them the best.

P71pilot

I carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on. I am comfortable with it. I stated that the hammer could be manually worked only because it is a fact. I do not recommend it either.

The ONLY advantage i see in DA/SA, is the ability to hit a primer again with just the pull of a trigger. In case a faulty or hard primer is encountered.