There is no Martial Arts that Guarranty it is Very Effective in Self Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwightvdb

To each his own.

I'm 51 and lazy and I don't like to fight, not even a little bit. I've spent a great deal of my life attempting to learn how to be a good husband and father, a good listener and lover and understander and nurturer of women and children. I cry at movies that aren't even all that sad. I play soft songs on my guitar and develop images from my black-and-white film in my modest darkroom and spend far too much time studying eastern philosophy and religion. I've spent two ten-day stretches meditating constantly at vipassana retreats, have sat zazen at Zen centers across the country, have learned sacred Hawaiian bodywork in Kauai. The list goes on.

I wish only to protect the life and limb of myself and other weak, good people who are under assault by strong, hostile people. I would rather spend my remaining hours on the planet in the joy of deep conversation and intimate relationship with a woman filled with love than doing pushups and hitting heavy bags at the dojo. The laughter of my granddaughter means more to me than the grunt of my opponent hitting the floor.

I reserve one evening a week with my son Ben for "Junto", which has exactly one rule: each of us must create something original, from scratch, and present it to the other. Often it's a four or five page writing; sometimes a poem, sometimes a photograph, sometimes a song. The minimum acceptable offering is a haiku, a short poem in the Japanese style that has three lines, seventeen syllables, with an indirect reference to the seasons.

I could spend that time in my gi, doing shoulder rolls and sweeps and strikes.

But I don't. I've found that it helps me get clear on priorities if I ask myself this question: when I'm 77 and on my deathbed, only a few days left, and am thinking back over my life, and I sigh, what will I be thinking? From most reports of those those who work with the dying, the usual statement of men at the very end of their lives goes something like this: "I had a good career, raised a good family, but ..... Looking back on it all, I really wish that I had spent more time doing X."

What will X be, for you?

For me, this is certain: X will not be "pushups" or "throwing opponents to the ground" or "hitting heavy bags." X, for me, has to do with relationships. Time with my sons, important time where we share with each other our hopes and dreams and truth. Time with my wife, swimming in her love, giving her the sea of my love, no agenda, nothing about her that I want to change. Time with my grandkids, sparkling and full of energy and hope, not yet disillusioned about what can and cannot be accomplished.

That's why CQB works for me, and not BJJ or TKD or Arnis or JKD. I am not a fighter, not a competitor, and I don't like to hit people. Hurting someone else, dominating him, gives me no joy. I avoid it at all costs.

With one exception. If he should physically attack me or one close to me with lethal force, I will put him down.

Dwight

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Man, have I learned a ton from this thread. A few points summarized:

1. Don't even bring a gun to a gun fight. If there's going to be a fight, don't friggin' show up!!

2. I will not call Spartacus insane, but I WILL leave the fighting of multiple opponents to him since he finds them so un-dangerous--me, no thanks. :)

3. Art seems to matter little. Everyone has given good reasons why their art works as well as all the others, IF they have the givens:
a. enough practice!
b. conditioning!
c. intelligent strategy! (range, terrain, etc.)

4. Nothing works well against multiple opponents except being a badass in the first place.

5. Nothing beats everything. Like someone said way back, combat is apparently a lot like rock-paper-scissors.

Skorzeny

Oh, Dwight:

That was just beautiful. You could have saved your breath and said "I am not a fighter, I am a lover" instead of launching into a lecture about how polished a human being you are.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it, but I sense a little bit of condescension in your message.

One minute we are discussing best techniques for self-defense and the next minute you are talking about what a humane lover you are, but how you are going to "put down" anyone who gets in your face!

Just because I like to spend some of my time learning BJJ, Shooto and Muay Thai does not make me any less sophisticated, humane or creative than someone who does not. I am Ivy League-educated and hold advanced degrees in international relations and economics. My wife, who by the way, also trains in grappling, is a medical student and will soon be a healer of people.

Perhaps we should save the poetry and "I-am-a-better-human-being-than-you-because-I -don't-fight" routine for another site since this is "AF/CQC: Alternative Force/Close Quarters COMBAT" (emphasis mine) site.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

pluspinc

I have been fascinated by this thread. It is shocking the difference of attitude here from the gun types. Here the attitude is one of realistic expectations. The first is to avoid the problem, the second is to be realistic about the ability of any training to work, and the distinct potential for loss or failure, thus back to avoiding the problem etc. Shooters think they hold magic powers and will perform like superman and use every ounce of anything they ever learned and prevail. Wish the real world worked like that. This thread is far more realistic and logical. Pat yourselves on the back please.

stdalire

Thank you very much to all of you for the very well taken comments and opinions from defense instructors as well as practicioner.

You have shown, when to employ a surgical strikes to a BG when necessary and when to reflect the oneself to accepts the reality of a fight in self defense situation.

Love, harmony, force and anger are elements that envelope a man's personality.

In my reading of many topics especially in self defense, mostly just think that arming oneself with the best kind of guns and bullets are just the main factors in escaping death from BG's or criminals.

Like what pluspinc said "The first is to avoid the problem, the second is to be realistic about the ability of any training to work, and the distinct potential for loss or failure, thus back to avoiding the problem etc. Shooters think they hold magic powers and will perform like superman and use every ounce of anything they ever learned and prevail".

+P has a good and realistic points to reflect from his statements.

Giving a good analysis to what +p have said, to my own understanding only, many gun owners or shooters disregard the reality in a gun encounter or in a real fight using pistol or any form of barehand/weapon martial arts.

One thing I have realized. The more I have studied martial arts, the more I feel I get away from trouble. Why? I am afraid that if I used what I have studied to a normal trouble or to the extent to defend myself being hit or scratch against a punks, or for my self defense. Still, I will face alot of trouble after a fight. Firstly, the legal problems aside of the aftermath vengeance of the other party. I hate and 'don't like of being charge or even step upon the door of a jail. Thus, if I get into trouble even on the protection of my honor, family or my life, I always see to it that I am on the favor side if it comes to legality.

Proving oneself innocense is the hardest thing to do in court, even you're innocent if the other party is more moneyed, influential, or person in authority - it will take time and money to prove your guiltless.

Some said, it is better to be alive rather then being a victim. Yes, it is true, that is every one motto or principle. But the point is, whatever encounter we are in self defense, always and always there must be good explanation why we employ such deadly force to an opponent. Even the guy whom we strike suffers the lightest injury, we are still subject to trouble or legal problems.

So now, here comes the ideas of many who have posted in many threads who said, that they don't like to be in a fight, that if possible they will get away from it always. But again, even how good man we are, there is always unexpected moments where we become victims of harrasment, holdup, framed up and many evil works in a society and it causes us to act irrational human being.

So, if we talk self defense of ourselves, we are not only talking the self defense of our physical body, but self defense or protecting your personality of not being tag as trouble maker, protecting your small savings to be drained by just being into a fight (for self defense purpose), to save a family of being away from them if you are jailed because the legal systems was blind to see the truth that you acted in self defense.

In conclusion, self defense incorporates many elements that we defend in our life not only to defend our physical body but all things that is related to our vey existence. Thus, employing the deadly defense knowhow we have is only a last resort to do.

Thank you for the time in presenting my own ideas.

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited March 08, 2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.