The "small" deer rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Fischer

I had to go look up reduced ammo at Midway and see what they have. Only found one load, just more than I want to look for. 300 mag reduced load use's a 150 gr bullet! I would not get a 300 mag and use a 150gr bullet in it for much of anything. Probably better choice's to compare but it came first. I have no idea how from a 300 mag, a 150 gr bullet can be compared to a 200gr bullet? Let's see, I think I've heard about reduced recoil in a 270. What bullet do they drop to there? Problem with dropping below 130 gr is the same problem with dropping down to a 150 gr in a 300 mag. You hit something to close and velocity is gonna tear apart the bullet in all likely hood. In the 300, I can't see any value to a 150gr bullet unless your shooting varmint's. Good bullet in a 308 but a 300 mag? I believe that everyone would be far better off getting a rifle in a cartridge they can handle with out reduced recoil load's. To get the reduced recoil you have to give up something. In that 300 mag you gave up bullet construction. Probably do the same with the 270. And no way can they equal there larger cousin using a heavier bullet.

When the ammo company's came up with this reduced load stuff, they had to have toung in cheek. If a 260, for example, is to much for a new shooter, give him/her a 243. If that's to much give them a 223. After they get to shooting they will most likely learn to handle more recoil. Maybe not something on a 30-06 case and maybe not something needing a 150gr plus bullet. You say you did this by getting low recoil ammo for them? Nice of you but what happens when dad take's them out and doesn't want to fool with that stuff? I can't imagine anyone having trouble with most if not all 243 loads. In 25-06 I suspect it's not the recoil that would get them but rather the muzzle blast.

At some point I would suspect you'd want to open up shooting some and get them into better for cal hunting bullet's. Be kind of hard to say take away their reduced 130 gr load in 30-06 and hand them a full power 150 gr load.

alex0535

.243 would do fine. I kinda want a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39, the 6mm creedmore, 6.5 creedmore, .260 rem, and 6.5x47 Lapua all would work with minimal recoil with a well placed shot.

zipspyder

Nobody is comparing reduced loads like that except you to make some sort of apples to oranges point. Remington and Hornady make the low recoil rounds from .243 to 300 mag just so you don't have to research. These loads are for deer sized game not Elk or Moose. Nobody expects them to punch through a bison. And I'll guarantee you from 200 yards in the deer will be just as dead as a normal load would do. The bullets are not designed weaker, they are designed to open up better at slower velocities. This also allows the young hunter as they grow to be able to handle normal and heavier ammo. It may even be an easier transition being the same gun their used to. I'm sorry but the ignorance of arguing against this being another viable choice is just astounding. You see no benefit while others do. I guess the pm option is out.

Last edited:

Lohman446

I ended going with the 243. I took my M77 270 out with 130 grain ammo. Recoil is manageable but noticeable especially for my nephew who was shooting. It's currently out with another friend because I could not get the Leupold scope (new) on paper. I had replaced but not sighted in the scope after another friend borrowed it and declared the last scope bad (could not zero). I am not expecting great news to come back on this and it may end up being rebarreled (leaning towards 257 Roberts but it seems less than ideal in the long action). If the issue is not a barrel issue will stay with 270.

I ended up with a deal I could not pass up on a TC Venture. I was not thrilled with comments about a fairly minimal reduction in recoil. Between the lighter cartridge and synthetic stock I would say recoil (felt) is substantially less than half. About a third of felt recoil.

Lohman446

The good news the M77 sighted in. I did not have the offset scope mounts on the Ruger - glad someone else looked. I was told clay targets at 200 yards are no problem. It was also noted "that gun KICKS" and was the discussion at the club it was sighted in at and fired by multiple shooters. General consensus on that M77 is its the ultralight configuration and short barrel (18") are creating a greater than expected amount of recoil for the .270.

Status
Not open for further replies.