The "small" deer rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lohman446

I have, in the past, kept around a .270 and a .375 H+H magnum thinking that the two guns covered any large animal on earth and could be used for anything. I have, over time, culled out the .375 (for now).

I am now looking on the other end of the spectrum. I live in Michigan. The biggest game I am going to take are whitetail deer. If I go out west chances are my .270 goes with me and I count that as adequate for anything in the continental 48.

But what about the other way. I am hesitant to use the word "marginal" but I am looking for the smaller end that can comfortably take whitetail deer. At some point my young children will learn to hunt and I intend to start them with a deer rifle that does not develop a flinch nor make them overconfident in the rifles ability to take deer even with a questionable shot. Because I enjoy single shots I will be leaning towards a Ruger No 1 (though I am not committed to it)

So what is the lightest recoiling "modest" deer caliber for taking deer with well placed shots. I intend to limit shots to a couple hundred yards though would like the ability, if I ever hunt speed goats, to go beyond this though I realize this may be asking too much for one rifle.

The .243 currently peaks my interest but I admit to not having studied the issue thoroughly and don't want to miss on "better" options. Reloading is not a concern as I can do it if needed for the right caliber though I do like off the shelf options

zipspyder

I would suggest a 7mm-08 with recoil managed loads or 6.5 CM. Both are awesome on deer and elk sized game. The 6.5 CM would have a lighter recoil than the 7mm. I've got a 7mm-08 with a muzzle break on it that makes it a pleasure to shoot for even kids.

ShootistPRS

The 243 is more than adequate for any deer out to 200 yards, and beyond. Even shooting 6mm bullets at 2800 - 3000 which is a light load for the 243 is a capable deer round as long as you don't hit large bones.

kraigwy

Another vote for the 243. You can have a light rifle, 22 in. barrel would make for easy handling. The smallest kid (or women) can handle the recoil and it more then capable for deer up to 600 yards, further if you pick the right bullet.

Ammo can be found anywhere, plus it simple to load for. You can pick the rifle of your choice because just about everyone puts out a 243, an can be had to fit anyone's pocket book.

My wife broke her back and has three rods between her shoulder blades. She cant take any recoil at all, yet has no problem with the 243 I built her on a M-70 action.

Got this muley at just a hair under 540 yards last fall.

Karenqus%2020161.JPG

tango1niner

.243 is a good choice. I like 100 gr. Nosler Partition for white tail. Good tough bullet at moderately high velocity works for me. For chucks 75 gr. hornadys near the top of the reloading velocities work well too. Load it down to build confidence and familiarization then up the velocities when the shooter is ready.

jmr40

The 243 would be an excellent choice. With todays bullets there isn't any real reason to go with a more powerful round if deer are the largest game hunted.

Right now the 6.5's are pretty hot, and for good reason. The better 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 loads will match or outperform your 270 at longer ranges and do it with 1/3 less recoil. I'd look at one of them if I wanted something bigger than 243. Especially if elk or bear were a possibility.

MarkCO

Another .243 fan here. It is about the perfect caliber for a deer rifle. Both of my boys have .243s and shoot well with them (13 and 15) and I recently went back to the .243 from the 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges.

Doyle

Agree that the .243 is a great choice - but ONLY for an experienced shooter. I'm not a favor of it being a kids gun. For that need, I'd far prefer to see them use a 7mm-08 with a reduced recoil load. The reason is the amount of lead hitting the deer. I feel that the heavier bullet in the 7mm-08 will go some ways towards improving the recovery chances if the kid's shot isn't exactly on target.

zipspyder

I'm seeing a lot of votes for the 243, which is an excellent deer caliber but if you ever wanted to step up a notch to bigger game or longer shots on speed goats I'd want something in the 7mm-08 or 6.5 range. That is if you ever wanted to get rid of the 270 and just keep one lower recoil rifle.

MarkCO

Doyle, what makes you think kids can not be experienced? Proper training and practice can not be overcome with a 0.04" bigger bullet.

Fla_dogman

I have a 243 and love it but if I only had one I might have to look at the 7-08 very close

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

603Country

For decades I hunted with a 270. Killed hundreds of deer. Then I retired and wife and I moved to our little ranch in central Texas. She wanted a pig gun, and a buddy had a 260, so I bought it. She never hunted much, so I used the 260 and got real fond of the caliber. I started off with 120 gr bullets, then went to 100 gr bullets (no recoil..not much anyway) to see how well they worked. Over a few years I decided that the 120's killed deer and hogs a bit better, so I went back to the heavier bullet. So...my point here is that the 243 shoots a 100 gr bullet. It'll do, but there are better options, like the 257 Roberts, the 25-06, the 260 and the 6.5 Creedmore, all of which will shoot the 120 gr bullet. But this is just my opinion and is worth every penny you paid for it, so buy what you really want.

std7mag

I'll be odd man out...

Why not try the 257 Roberts?
You can load from 75gr. Varmint bullets to 120gr. big game bullets.
I make my casings from 7X57mm Mauser casings. Just run through 257 full length sizing die.

Another option is 250 Savage. Or the 25 Souper (25-308)

Lohman446

I'd rather my kids believe the cartridge is marginal and they must take well judged and good shots than to have them think the cartridge will make up for poor judgement or shots

Lohman446

I do appreciate the ideas because this is not a side of the spectrum I've delved into before. I've gone with the bigger is better theory and have hunted whitetail with the .375 once. I want to move to this side for this gun

Doyle

Doyle, what makes you think kids can not be experienced? Proper training and practice can not be overcome with a 0.04" bigger bullet.

I'm making the assumption that if a kid is experienced then he would already have their own rifle and not the "loaner" that the original poster is thinking of.

ammo.crafter

something light for deer.

I depend on my 7x30 Waters that takes deer, boar and the like with one shot kills.

Recoil is quite minimal.

Lohman446

Doyle I assume that any rifle I buy to teach my kids on becomes one of theirs. I hope there are some me choices in it that they will remember when they shoot it after I am gone

Status
Not open for further replies.