The safety sin

SIGSHR

In Civil War and RevWar reenacting safety checks are performed before and after battles.
No live ammunition permitted. At one reenactment in NJ in the 90s a Union drummer boy's drum was punctured by a tompion.

HiBC

I didnt read all but the first guy and brother should have never passed the gun without
opening he bolt and checking..
That would be me,langec. I agree. That I was fallible was the point of posting it.
I saw what that load did to that pronghorn. It never should have been put in the car loaded,either.

The "save" was I listened to my own warning in my head and acted on it.

I own it. I posted it.

Now,langec, do you just come on to be a critic,or have you never made a gun handling mistake,or do you just lack the "parts" to tell the story of YOUR fallibility?

In the same way its the unloaded gun that kills people,its the guy who cannot honestly look at HIMSELF ,the guy who will never own up to being imperfect that will not double check. Like a certain movie crew.

So,you never make mistakes? Or you just don't admit it?

ghbucky

Allow me to bring this back on topic:

I think we all share the love for shooting sports and don't want any surprises..... or injuries... or worse. There is a video somewhere of a fellow who had a similar situation, "I've just shot myself" rings out to this day.

That video has very much seared itself on me. And I will admit I laughed 'at that idjit' at the time, reflection has made me very careful of my draw.

It really is very easy to yank a gun clear of the holster and close that trigger resulting in exactly what he had the courage to show to us all. In the end, I have to respect the man for putting that out there.

HiBC

It was an important lesson on the Blackhawk SERPA retentiom holster.
I own them,use them,like them.

You MUST develop a muscle memory/habit to keep your trigger finger straight,outside the guard as you draw.Point the finger toward the anticipated target as you depress the retention release,

If you hook your trigger finger to press the release button,you are in trouble.

As you clear the holster,with pressure on that hooked finger tip, the finger will fall into the trigger guard and engage the trigger.

Thats how the above mentioned Gentleman shot himself.

I like the SERPA holster,but its not for everyone. Its one of those "Informed Choice" things.

Rob228

At one of the indoor ranges I go to (its only a ten minute drive) there aren't really any ROs and the staff has cameras set up on the range but only on the firing points. Two of the biggest things I've caught that get me from zero to 100 really quick are:

Muzzles going in every direction but downrange. The firing points have walls between them so unless you step back from the firing line there is a good chance you have no clue that the guy next to you is inserting a magazine and chambering a round with the muzzle pointed hard left or hard right from the firing point.

Uncasing firearms (particularly handguns) at the tables ten feet behind the firing line instead of on the firing line.

That being said, the second one wouldn't bother me if it were people I knew and trusted and shoot around daily but when it is strangers uncasing behind me I tend to get nervous and perhaps my language is not so polite when I ask them to stop doing what they are doing.

There was a lot of hate for the SERPA for a while. I've had a few and have managed to avoid shooting myself when drawing. I don't carry them daily, only when I am in a place where I know I want the retention (crawling through thick brush etc).

ghbucky

I have a few options for nearby indoor ranges. I go to the most expensive one because they have ROs on duty at all times and those barriers between range stalls are bullet proof.

One of the ROs told me that he saw a .45 hit one of those barriers and it did stop it.

The entire range is armored, so the viewing/showroom is also protected.