The Ruger American Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abel

It ships with a set of Weaver bases. There are plenty of high dollar rifles, mid-grade rifles, and cheap rifles. I'm not sure why anyone would complain about a free market, and a product made here in the US. If you want to buy a custom $4500 rifle, go for it! I applaud your great fortune. But why begrudge us who shop at Dick's and Wal-Mart? I have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed. I won't be getting my $4500 rifle for a while!

Abel

Maybe you guys haven't noticed, but the economy is still bad. Many people can't afford a $900 rifle.

cornbush

I'll be looking at one of these for the wife...... there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive, I'll bet Ruger made this one inexpensive.

One of best shooting rifles I have is a CHEAP Remington 78 Sportsman, you know the cheapest "crap rifle" of the time period, just like the "junk" Winchester Rangers.
Just because they don't have hand rubbed oil finished walnut and carry a four figure price tag doesn't mean they wont be good rifles.
I like the more expensive rifles too, and I own a couple, but I won't overlook an "inexpensive" rifle just because of the price and a few unsubstantiated rants from internet armchair gun guru's either.

Last edited:

mrawesome22

If you can save up $400 you can save up $900.

People buy these crap rifles then come on here and complain about low quality, quality went down hill, blah blah blah.

Ruger was forced to put this out due to the other manufacturers putting out this crap also.

Damand and supply.

upstate81

Your dead wrong pal after you save up 900 dollars for a gun u have a scope ammo slings bipods etc... I woulndt blow 1500 on a gun when I have bills and a family that's just selfish. I bet its a good rifle and not some 770. Get off your high horse people.

Abel

People buy these crap rifles then come on here and complain about low quality, quality went down hill, blah blah blah.

I have never heard anyone come on here complaining about the lower priced Savages. The Remington 788 was a cheapie, and now people clamor for them. The Tikka T3 was offered as an economy rifle when it first came out at $399, and when they couldn't keep them on the shelf, the price went up. If you don't want one, don't buy one. The market will bear what it will bear.

csmsss

I'm curious how many could have formed such strong opinions about a rifle that they have neither held, fired, nor even read a review of.

mrawesome22

I have bills and a working man myself.

I am by no means on a high horse.

I just think a lot of people have a must have it now attitude so they go looking for the cheapest thing they can get their hands on and are disappointed at the results.

A good gun holds value. These craptastic plastics...

Save up and buy a nice gun.

FrankenMauser

I say this b/c I don't see any rail whatsoever in the pictures. I guess I was really asking if it is picatinny or not. Doesn't look like it is. From my past experience with Ruger they like proprietary hard to imitate nearly as much as Sony.
I'd be willing to bet it will use a Tikka T3 or Browning A-Bolt base; or another common flat-top mount.
(Much like Marlin ensuring their XL7 and XS7 could use the cheap-and-available Win Model 70 bases.)

have bills and a working man myself.

I am by no means on a high horse.

I just think a lot of people have a must have it now attitude so they go looking for the cheapest thing they can get their hands on and are disappointed at the results.

A good gun holds value. These craptastic plastics...

Save up and buy a nice gun.
This one is an ugly beast. That is for sure.
But... I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, for now.
I own expensive rifles. I own cheap rifles. I own inexpensive rifles.

I thought the Marlin XL7 would be a POS, when I first saw them (much like the cheap Savage/Stevens offerings, and the Rem 710/770 I had looked at). But... I was dead wrong.
The Marlin X7 series is a group of inexpensive rifles, not cheap rifles (like Savage/Stevens/Rem).

Hopefully, the Ruger will be a good, inexpensive rifle; not a cheap rifle. And, maybe it will make Savage and Remington pull their heads out, and step up the quality of the offerings they've managed to get their brain-washed customers to buy. The Marlin X7s are amazing rifles for the price. The Savage and Remington offerings.... well, they're something else with a well-known name stamped on the side... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nimbleVagrant

Looks like a decent entry level rifle. In that price range I'd probably still lean towards a Savage Stevens 200 but I'd bet that Ruger would work just fine doing what it was designed to do.

upstate81

You know what that's very true and I agree with buying quality firearms. Buying guns is kinda like buying jewels or gold its collateral

Jim243

Congrats Ruger you sold out. I am sure Dicks and Walmart are already putting in their orders.

I don't know about Dicks, but at one time Wal-Mart was the largest retailer of firearms in the United States, may still be. (and they don't/didn't sell handguns). Hell, I even bought 4 of mine from them, Ruger 10/22, Savage Model 110 in 270, Savage Model 10 in 243 and a CVA 50 cal mag inline.

I too have kids to feed, and I don't see the price of gas getting any cheaper for my car or my house. So don't bitch about someone trying to help and keep the cost of shooting down. And Gander Mt. had to give me an extra $100.00 off on my purchase of a Mossberg 835, because Wal-Mart had the same gun for $50.00 less than they did. (price match + an extra $50.00 off, I don't think they are doing that anymore.)

Jim

upstate81

what can ya do

Yep agreed. Don't get me wrong I still go see my man ol howard who is 75 years old and still owns and operates his own shop bless his heart. I still support the little guy. Bought a 22 mag bolt gun a few months ago from him. Sometimes a big box store just works for a hard working welder such as myself

shootniron

Jim243

I don't know about Dicks, but at one time Wal-Mart was the largest retailer of firearms in the United States, may still be. (and they don't/didn't sell handguns). Hell, I even bought 4 of mine from them, Ruger 10/22, Savage Model 110 in 270, Savage Model 10 in 243 and a CVA 50 cal mag inline.

I too have kids to feed, and I don't see the price of gas getting any cheaper for my car or my house. So don't bitch about someone trying to help and keep the cost of shooting down. And Gander Mt. had to give me an extra $100.00 off on my purchase of a Mossberg 835, because Wal-Mart had the same gun for $50.00 less than they did. (price match + an extra $50.00 off, I don't think they are doing that anymore.)

Jim

For the guys who don't like this, i would like to know your average age and how many guns you plan to buy in the next 50 years.

I am a few days short of 27.
My guess is I will buy 2 guns a year for the rest of my life(about 50 years statistically), although some will get sold along the way.

I have no interest in a blued gun outside of my C&R collectibles. Bluing is a dated process that doesn't come close to the modern finishes. I don't want to carry it in the woods.

A plastic stock is cheaper and lighter. If I want to add weight I can add weight where I want until I get up to the weight of a wood stock(to help with felt recoil. If I am just hunting I can leave it as is. If i want to get serious with a plastic stock I can fill it with something that will make it rigid, or as savage long said toss it and be happy you didn't pay $200 for a stock that still wasn't a target stock.

There hasn't been a moment in my lifetime where the features you say are missing have been the best available from a utilitarian standpoint. Welcome to the era of guns developed for generation Glock. Whether they be rifles, revolvers, or next up double barrel shotguns, we will be buying them in droves.

Don't worry, we will pick up deals on old blued walnut antiques at Estate auctions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.