The Ruger American Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

David the Gnome

Ruger just announced a new rifle today.

indexBackground.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

Looks like it will come in .243, .270, .30-06, and .308. MSRP is only $449 and it includes a lot of really nice features for that price. Weight is also only 6.25lbs. I can't wait to see some reviews for this. It looks like this will be a great rifle for the money.

PawPaw

I saw that earlier today. It looks like a push-feed, synthetic stock. It's due out in mid-January and I wonder what it is designed to compete against? It looks vaguely like the Axis, doesn't it?

Do those rifles have an MSRP of $450? I think they are actually being sold for a little more than $450.
Looks like a great rifle to me. If the accuracy is consistently sub MOA I will be very impressed.
I hope they expand the calibers. Would be a great platform for the 460 carbine I keep e-mailing them about :)

David the Gnome

It comes with a lot of high end features for that price. I would expect it to retail in stores for under $350 once the new-gun pricing wears off. That adjustable trigger can be adjusted between 3-5lbs which is quite nice if it actually works out to be that light. I also like that it comes with rails and rings for mounting a scope straight out of the box. I wonder what the accuracy will be like.

Palmetto-Pride

Looks pretty nice, but the bolt action market is pretty saturated right now isn't it? I don't really see a need for another "new" bolt action JMO

Orion6

Dang and I just bought a Savage! Not that I'll regret it but one of my best rifles ever was a Ruger 77.

Vermonter

guess ill be that guy

I would love that gun if it comes in lefty. I suppose i could deal with a detachable mag as supposed to that spring loaded thingy on my hawkeye.

dvdcrr

what would be nicer is if they just offered the Hawkeye with a crisp factory trigger ala Timney and a pillar bed free float stock like those "cheap" savages. I wouldn't even mind the blind mag so they could save cost. The only drawback the ruger has is its stock and trigger.

jhgreasemonkey

Ugh. I don't know about this one. I'm a Ruger fan and really like how they use the mauser 98 type actionin their rifles. But this one looks like they may have strayed. Probably a push feed type with some version of trigger similar to the Savage accu-trigger. Nothing wrong with that but it's not really a Ruger....but....is it? Also with the name American rifle I would think it would have classic American styling, maby some iron sights with a nice walnut stock. First impression, two thumbs down. I guess they want to get in the budget bolt rifle game. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a bad idea like Remington did with the 770.

Abel

I think its a nice looking rifle. It will really bite into Savage's sales. I think this rifle is more 788 than 770 if you are comparing it to a Remmy product.

HKFan9

Just another junk economy grade rifle to compete against the Remington 770 and Savage Axis/Edge

This is what happens when the consumers buy for the lower price instead of the better made gun... you get manufactures to sell cheap junk.

Congrats Ruger you sold out. I am sure Dicks and Walmart are already putting in their orders.

upstate81

Wow HK, what a great attitude to have considering its not even out yet. More rifle options are always better to have. Besides I've bought a few weapons from walmart and dicks I can assure you they are no different, and no they weren't cheap guns at all even bought a leuopold at walmart to mount on one of my 700's

Can anyone tell what type of rail it is? Is it proprietary?

I say this b/c I don't see any rail whatsoever in the pictures. I guess I was really asking if it is picatinny or not. Doesn't look like it is. From my past experience with Ruger they like proprietary hard to imitate nearly as much as Sony.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/features.html
If you click also features it shows them in greater detail. It is drilled and tapped, not machined, so I guess it isn't a big deal one way or the other. A more or less receiver length mount will be available in a few months from someone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.