The Roberts

Picher

I firmly believe that some of todays bullets, including Barnes TSSX; and Hornady GMX bullets have re-written the book on what is a deer cartridge. The .243 Win, .257 R and others are much more lethal on heavier game than ever before. I haven't re-tried the .22-250 Rem with those bullets, but it's surely more lethal. It still lacks mass to go through a small tree before hitting the deer, but I wouldn't turn up my nose about shooting a deer out to 200 yards with the .22-250 with those bullets, at least on a clear shot.

Having a couple of .243 Winnies and a .270 Win, I'll never find out about the .22-250 Rem's potential on deer, but if that's all I had, I'd use it with those bullets, or with Partitions. The Roberts was a pretty good deer killer before, but the new bullets make it even better.

Longshot4

257 Roberts is a fine cartridge for deer and antelope. When I loaded it for hunting. I liked a bullet to hold together yet open up quick. The Barns 100gr TTSX would be my top choice today only if I could find it. If you are planning to stay with what you have. I have found that the Nosler BT can loose weight and change direction when they hit bone in a 270 but not in a 308. If the Hornady groups under 1 1/2" use it. At least the Hornady weighs more.

LAH

Took her out today but trouble off the bat. Seems the barrel is touching the forearm in one place. Plus I had a 100 rounds to fire but left my bore guide at the house. Anyway I did shoot 25 rounds total but the bullets were walking from 5 to 10 o'clock.

Did have a fair day though with the '06. Fired 60 rounds using 150gr. pulled FMJ bullets & 60 grains of Data 85. Worked out my elevations to 500 yards. This isn't an accurate load averaging only 2-2 1/4" @ 100. I use it for cheap 3 position practice. I did however ring all the gongs even the 24" 500 yard one.

tahoe2

Gun looks great ! Range is nice too! I have Boyd's on two rifles, love em both!
Congrats on the Rob, should be fun, playin with that one! :D

LAH

Thanks tahoe2. I'm heading out for a couple weeks & on return it will be too close to hunting season to play with the Roberts but over the winter I'll get it lined out.