The Roberts

LAH

Deer season will be on us shortly so time to put the 223 in the safe & break out the AI Roberts. Loaded some ammo today to try since I've shot this rifle only to fire form brass. I have 2 bullets.

Powder & primers are these.

steveNChunter

Let us know what kind of groups and velocities you are getting with each.

I used to use the 100 gr NBT in a .25-06 and it was VERY explosive when shot into the shoulder bone of a deer. It did the job, but left a spotty blood trail, and made a huge mess of the shoulder and didn't exit. After that experience I put them just behind the shoulder into the ribcage. That gave a much better result. The slightly slower .257 AI might not be as bad but I still believe I'd shy away from hitting solid bone if I could help it.

I have no experience with the SST's but I've heard they are a fine bullet.

If you decide to try another bullet, give a 117 gr Sierra a try. Either the Gameking or Pro-hunter depending on which your rifle likes best.

LAH

Steve it will be a couple weeks before I can get to the range. I normally go once or twice a week but I'm booked for a revival next week so it will be after that. I'm hoping both shoot well & I'm sure either will be whitetail accurate.

HiBC

I have been using a 257 AI for a long time.It works great for me.4350 will give top performance with a 100 gr bullet.

My bullet of choice ended up being 115 gr Nosler BT's.I use H4831 SC with those.

I have no experience with the SSTs.

LAH

I had this barrel throated for the 100 grain Nosler. The SST needs seated a little deeper than I like. I called Nosler yesterday & found the length of their 115 BT is nearly the same as the 117 SST though I'm not sure about their profiles.

BIG P

Mine is in 25-06 & it loves both of those loads.But I'll tell you this,inside 150yds.jt will make a mess if it touches bone.Deer or yote.;)

std7mag

As far as terminal performance on deer, I have not tried the SST.
The Nosler is a proven performer for me. I'm using it for my 7mm-08 deer hunting this year.

Accuracy wise I get much smaller groups with the Nosler, than the Hornady's. As in .75" VS 1.5".

For range fodder, I do use the Hornady Interlock flat base bullet, with decent groupings out to 300 yards.

NWCP

My 25-06 likes being loaded with Barnes TTSX 100 grain BTs. The bullet is crazy accurate out of my Weatherby 24" barrel and will put the hammer down on deer, or antelope. As said before, if it hits bone it will do some damage. They claim it expands to .50... they are right. It retains nearly 100% of its original weight. I think you'd be pleased with it out of your Roberts. JMHO

Savage99

The old 257 R. never was popular. It proved too big ricochet wise for chucks and minimal for deer. Thus it and the 250 S. died out.

It's fun to play around with rifles however if you have never done it before.

The 270 Win is proven and so are the 308 and 30-06. They are also available in stores.

HiBC

Savage 99...You carried one much?
If you don't like them,fine!To each his own.I built mine in the late 80's.
Its killed a lot of pronghorn..farthest 450 yds.DRT.
Slaps snot out of coyotes.I only have a fixed 6x,so about 300 yds is as far as I can see prairie dogs real well.I use the 115 gr BTs on those,too.
BC is .435 and vel is 3150(oops!!!Its 3050 after checking notes.Used to be 3150 before I decided less is more) after I backed off the load.So the classic 130 gr .270 load has 15 gr more lead.Whoopeee!!Not knocking the .270 at all!!Great cartridge.Proven killer!!
Look up what a 264 Win Mag does with a 120 gr bullet.About 3250.So,does 5 gr bullet and 100 fps make the difference ? Tell you what,mine kicks less,burns less powder,and the barrel lasts longer...oh,and mine is 23 in,not 26.

Yeah,I agree,the old 117 round nose was quite moderate.Those who AI don't bother much with factory loads.

I've shot plenty with a 7mm Rem Mag,too.I hung it up because I like to eat what I shoot.Dead is dead.

I have better choices for elk,but I would not hesitate to hunt elk with my .257 AI.I'd use a 120 gr partition up to 200 yds,and I'd be willing to pass unless I had a rib shot..and I have zero doubt it would be knife time.

.257 AI works just fine.

Oh,btw,take that .250 out of a 99 with spitwad twist,put it in a Rem 7 or so with a 1 in 10 twist for 115/120 gr bullets with points ,easy 2700 fps ,no recoil,and pretty much the BC of a 30 cal 155MK.Nosler lists a 4831 load at 2792 for a standard .250 savage.
If you can't kill a deer with that...its not the rifle.

Last edited:

steveNChunter

If you can't kill a deer with that...its not the rifle.

This is a true statement for almost any centerfire cartridge larger than .22 caliber. Sorry, but deer aren't that tough of an animal.

The .257 Bob is plenty of gun for deer, black bear, and yes it would even be adequate for elk with good shot placement.

hooligan1

LAH, are those loads you already worked up or a shot in the dark?
Because I only test 3 for powder and 5 for BTO. Then I load a bunch like shown here.

hooligan1

LAH, are those loads you already worked up or a shot in the dark?
Because I only test 3 for powder and 5 for BTO. Then I load a bunch like shown here.
Good bullets though for killin deer.

LAH

These loads I haven't used before. I could have loaded fewer but I'll shoot a few from the bench and the rest offhand at the gongs. Can't shoot too much.