The Psychology of Unlocked Doors ... and Anti-Gun

Jeff Thomas

I humbly solicit your advice and ideas about a psychological conundrum I've encountered before ... and saw again last evening.

We had dinner with a business associate and his wife. Nice, sharp people ... both work, and both are highly educated. They enjoyed a stint in Malaysia, where, as my friend's wife put it ... "they don't allow any guns". 'Course, that isn't technically correct ... the police and military people have them of course, but ... it wasn't the time / place to get into that discussion. [Although I did make my position on RKBA clear later in the conversation, as an aside, at an appropriate time.]

Here is the interesting part. As we were leaving, I arrived at the front door first, and ... noted that it was unlocked. It was apparently unlocked during our entire visit.

Now, it may have been overlooked, but I feel pretty sure this is their standard practice.

Their home is in Scottsdale, a very large suburb of Phoenix, AZ ... population in the Phoenix MSA nearly 3.5mm. Not a small, peaceful backwater town. Scottsdale is a rather nice suburb, but we do indeed have crime here, of course.

So, I'm left comparing their anti-self defense stance with their apparent policy of leaving their front door unlocked (at least during waking hours).

At the moment, I've decided their behavior is consistent ... they see no need to be concerned about crime, so they leave the door unlocked, and therefore they see no need for guns. And, they would feel safer still if there were no guns in private hands.

But I think this is a deeper issue. They don't leave their door unlocked because they never thought of locking it ... they don't leave it unlocked because it's too much trouble to turn the deadbolt ... they don't leave it unlocked because it will wear out the lock.

My theory, at the moment, is that they leave the door unlocked because doing so validates their warm, cozy feeling of security. Conversely, if they locked the door, they would have allowed a self defense concern to enter their minds ... and that would create a "cognitive dissonance" with their otherwise casual disregard for any need of self defense tools.

So, that's my best guess at the moment. Now, Freud's comment that "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" [ ;) ] comes to mind ... perhaps I'm too analytical.

But, have any of you had similar encounters? How did you explain this attitude? Is it simply a matter of such people leading sheltered lives, and never accepting the reality of crime, terrorism, etc. in our world? That they never encountered crime, and therefore never accepted the idea that "common sense" defenses were inexpensive, practical, and less trouble than being victimized?

I appreciate your comments ... being the "Boy Scout" / always prepared type, I find my associate's behavior rather interesting.

Thanks.

Regards from AZ

Zundfolge

I hear many antis say "we don't need guns for self defense (either because they think the police will protect them or because they don't live in "the hood").

If you are trying to convince yourself that you are at no risk of crime, why would you take precautions against it?

However, I never used to lock the doors while I was home ... I only started a few years ago when my home was broken into. My parents still never lock their doors while they are home (and rarely lock the deadbolt :rolleyes: ) so maybe its just habit.

Or maybe they are like this this friend of mine who doesn't own a car, instead he rides a bicycle everywhere (he's a bicycle mechanic, and just an all around weirdo :) ). He refuses to lock his bike because he believes that if he has sewn some bad Karma then hopefuly the bad Karma will exercise itself by having his bike stolen (keep in mind 2 things, 1. his bicycles usualy cost more then most of the cars I've owned and 2. he doesn't pay anywhere near retail for them). I have noticed that this guy doesn't take chances with bad Karma when it comes to his safety ... he carrys.

ahenry

I have lived all my life with the house doors left unlocked during the day, and as a matter of fact I have on several occasions neglected to lock the house down when I go to bed at night. Neither I, nor my family have or have had any illusions as to the safety of a place like Dallas, TX (where I grew up). As a family we had firearms in the house and even went so far as to discuss what if any additional firearms should be purchased in order to provide safety. To give a bit more insight into the Henry psyche or perhaps explain “why”, I refuse to live in a spirit of fear. It is a quality that I believe I inherited from both my parents and went on to cultivate in myself. Call it a “psychological stubbornness” if you will, but I refuse to let the criminal element force me to live my life in the fear that unless I follow a regimented lifestyle and insulate myself from others, I will become a victim. I realize that locking a front door hardly constitutes living in fear, but the entire mental makeup that is myself balks at even something as seemingly tiny as that.

MeekAndMild

We often leave our doors unlocked when we are home, but never when we leave for fear that the dogs would maul someone who blunders in. :D

WyldOne

i think you were right (well, from what i know, anyway...) in the beginning:

they see no need to be concerned about crime, so they leave the door unlocked, and therefore they see no need for guns. And, they would feel safer still if there were no guns in private hands.

i think of my parents. if they were home and awake, as i remember, the door was unlocked. before they went to bed, they would lock the door. (and did i mention they're huge anti's?)

i don't know what it is; but something tells me that it's more of a "that won't happen to me!" mentality, more than anything else.

illuminatus99

I normally leave my door unlocked when I'm home but then I've got an arsenal I can access faster than someone can get up the stairs.

kogatana

Jeff,
They obviously have never been exposed to crime. They are fortunate. I envy them for the good fortune they have had AND fear for them for the jaw-dropping, eye-popping wakeup call they will necessarily endure when they finally cross paths with a sociopathic miscreant with nothing to lose decides to make them its next prey. These good people and their kind have relied on people like me who are just as educated as they yet are not too far from that miscreant to see to their safety. It is quite unfortunate that I cannot be there all the time. I have tried to make the argument for preparedness, safety, etc., on numerous occasions when I was younger. I have given up for they are as staunch in their convictions as I am on mine. I have accepted them for what they are and what they believe and they no longer raise an eyebrow when I show up at their dinner parties with a ballistic vest, 1911, and various and sundry other "things" under my white dinner jacket. I am the "designated samurai" and I am ok with that moniker. Everyone has their place in society. I cannot live in their's and they obviously should not live in mine. I leave it at that.

Last edited:

Jeff Thomas

Hmmm ... this interests me even more.

Locking a door is so simple, and provides such a huge benefit against crime. I usually assumed it was (please excuse this ...) small town living, laziness or ignorance ... I never guessed that some folks intentionally leave their doors unlocked. Never ... wasn't even on my radar.

I find ahenry's comments the most interesting. And, again, excuse my bluntness ... do you, personally, feel your choice is a reasoned, logical decision? Or, is this more of a religious, Karma or ??? thing?

My wife asked me if I had always locked my doors ... as far as I can remember, we kept the doors locked when I was a kid.

Such a small, but interesting part of life ... "door-lockers" and "non-door-lockers". ;)

Regards from AZ

JohnKSa

Administrator
The interesting thing is that people like that are EXTREMELY resistant to any logical approach to the situation. If you press the issue at all, they will often get quite emotional and accuse you of being paranoid or of living in fear.

For them it's not about logic or security. It's about emotion--about FEELING secure.

Sometimes this is a result of a basic philosophy of life--often the idea that people are basically good and will do good things when left to themselves. To lock doors would be an admission that this philosophy is flawed. These kind of people are often avid anti-gunners--after all, if people are good, the guns must be to blame.

On the other hand, my folks, who definitely pro-gun and do not espouse the above philosphy are quite lax about security around the house. I think that their basic problem is that subconsciously they don't like to admit that things have changed so much from their childhood days. In fact, they often bring up that point when I mention that they shouldn't leave their garage door open all the time. You know the spiel: "I can remember when I was a kid, we never used to lock the doors. We didn't worry about criminals then..." They shake their heads and the conversation ends--with the garage door still open.

I've come to the conclusion that it's rarely worthwhile to talk to people on this subject. Even if you can rationally convince them of the importance of security, they will keep 'forgetting' to take basic precautions. More likely though, you'll just anger them.

It takes a catastrophe, either to them or to someone close to them, to really change their mind.

Experience is a hard teacher; but some will have no other.

John

Brian Gibbons

On a side note ...

I would like to ask these folks if they carry theft insurance for their home. If they do, then ask them why they would pay the premiums if being robbed is not a threat. I would also like to know how an insurance company would handle a claim for a theft from a home with doors that are never locked ...

ahenry

I find ahenry's comments the most interesting. And, again, excuse my bluntness ... do you, personally, feel your choice is a reasoned, logical decision? Or, is this more of a religious, Karma or ??? thing?

Well first let me state that neither my house nor my parents house has ever been robbed, although a man once walked into the house but then my mom pretty much threw him out (she can be quite a firecracker when called upon). So I can promise you that it is not “about emotion--about FEELING secure”, as if I admited the possibility that I should keep my doors locked I would somehow shatter an illusion of being safe. To better answer your questions, I do feel that, my position is a “reasoned, logical” one. I have gone through several evolutions of thought on this issue, and it is certainly not a “karma” thing. My philosophy is very simple, I believe that “the horse is prepared against the day of battle, but safety is of the Lord”. I don’t want to make this a thread on Christian beliefs (and I don’t think you or the Mods do either), so let me just say that I made the decision that I would put my trust for my safety in areas other than a lock. I have no illusions as to the inherent evil nature of mankind and I would never hesitate to use what tools were needed or available (be it a gun or a coffee pot) to resolve a situation if I found myself in one, but I don't rely on mechanical means to keep me out of such a situation.

Jeff Thomas

ahenry, thanks for your honest comments. If you'll bear with me, I would like to pursue this a bit more, with continued frankness ... I ask these questions very honestly, and I'll try to do so without bigotry. Your words go to the heart of my dilemma here, and I want to understand this perspective.

BTW, I was raised as a Christian, but frankly, I'm an agnostic. I simply don't know ...

Now, by your comments, I am left with a few remaining questions. Considering your mindset, as described, how do you feel about the comment I've heard that "God helps those who helps themselves"? If you see humans as you describe, then it almost feels as if you are testing the system, so to speak. As a friend of mine puts it, she feels she has a "guardian angel", and so she is quite cavalier about her personal safety. I feel her guardian angel would be just as happy to have some help from my friend, but she doesn't see it that way. She confuses me.

In sum, considering your philosophy, and again, why not turn that deadbolt?

Thanks. Regards from AZ

Last edited:

bruels

All philosophy aside, I just sort of count on the locked door to buy me some time. And give the hounds time to wake up.

JohnKSa

Administrator
ahenry,

Interesting approach. This is a version of the argument that I haven't heard.

To wit. God will take care of me so I don't choose to rely on mechanical things to aid him in that task.

I've got a few questions to help me clarify your position in my mind. Don't get bent out of shape--I'm trying to get a feel for what is driving your mindset. I'm not necessarily poking at you with these questions, so please don't take them as an attack.

Do you take vaccinations?
Do you take remedial medications?
Do you believe in seeking medical help when ill.
Do you carry life insurance?
Do you carry medical insurance?
Do you wear a seatbelt? (assume that legality is not an issue)
Do you leave your car unlocked all the times?
Would you have a car alarm installed if it were free?
Do you save money?
Do you carry a spare tire?
Do you look both ways before crossing the street?
Do you leave your garage door open at night?
Do you think that people who lock their doors are showing a lack of faith? If so, will they be punished for demonstrating their lack of faith?
Do you believe that not locking your doors (as an act of faith) will improve your standing with God? If so, would leaving them swinging open be even better?
Did the Old Testament Jews demonstrate a lack of faith in God by putting protective walls around their cities?
Does the church you attend have locks on the doors? Do they use them? How do you feel about that?
If someone were to rob or burglarize your residence, would you start locking your doors?

Remember, you chose to post your position on this subject. You don't have to answer these questions, but I would appreciate it if you would.

Thanks,

John

Jager1

Having worked in the security system industry (in the Dallas area), I learned a few things. The vast majority of residential burglars are amateurs and are easily deterred with reasonable security measures. Increasingly, more burglaries are of the "smash and grab" variety in which the criminals are in and out, generally before the police response time can be realized. The reason for their hurried nature is because the criminals have taken note that more people these days have installed security systems or now take the time to lock doors and windows. Both take time to overcome or require the criminal to increase his level of activity or "noise" which, as any former burglar will tell you, is a bane to them. I am not claiming that merely locking doors will deter all criminals, but it does deter some of them. It can also lead to the apprehension of them, as their "entry' now requires them to leave a degree of physical evidence, may have them inadvertantly leave fingerprints or might possibly even make them come to the attention of people nearby. I spent a lot of my day arriving the day after a crime had been committed, listening to the woeful stories of residents and business owners who now sought the advice and services of a professional in prevention. Some of my calls involved sex crimes. In almost half of the instances, the criminals gained access through an unlocked door or window. Some even involved homicides.

I lock doors (and windows), not because they are any true safeguard from someone bent on entry (in most cases), but to provide evidence of forced entry if I am required to use deadly force on someone as well as those reason previously listed. The first thing the police generally do after securing a crime scene that occurs in a dwelling is look for evidence of forced entry. Finding none, there is typically speculation that the "victim" either was careless in securing the property or may have invited the criminal(s) in (there are other contentions, but I will try to stick to the subject). Either contention is always an invite for contempt. Not locking doors is not a literal invitation to criminals, but it is interpreted by them as such. In any case, it will certainly invite contempt from the police, now tasked with the investigation of yet another citizens carelessness.

Imagine what a criminal thinks upon finding an unlocked door. "Idiots." Now, imagine what goes through their mind when they find a secured door. "Damn. going to have to make some noise. Hope no-one hears this." or even "Better try the house next door." Rather, I see my minimal diligence as a bit of a disconcert to criminals and get particular satisfaction knowing that they have to "work" harder and take just a little more risk to try to deprive me of my property (or worse). Of course, locking doors is only one measure of protection, but it is an valuable one, as I will reveal later.

When I was growing up, we did not lock the doors during the day, but as night fell, we did. Today, we sometimes leave a door unlocked, or even open, to let fresh air in. We have a dog that is not partial to strangers and we are generally armed or can be so within a handful of seconds.

My first apartment was burglarized twice in my absence when the thieves accessed an unlocked window I believed to be generally inaccessible (height). They got me twice because I didn't think they would strike twice (oops). I caught another burglar crawling into my locked bedroom window early in the AM and fended him off with an unloaded firearm. I deterred another I discovered breaking into my locked patio door in broad daylight (again, DFW area) and also chased him off with a gun. My tools were stolen from my car (west of Dallas) when I left my car unlocked in front of the house (the one time I ever forget to lock it). Thosands of dollars of tool were never recovered. My parents locked house was burglarized by meth junkies (west of Dallas). They had already had hit 4 homes on my parents street the previous week, yet the police had issued no warning to residents (and apparently not increased patrols enough, either). The thieves would literally reside in the target house for hours in order to observe neighboring houses for signs on activity in order to select their next target. An alert neighbor called the police, causing them to depart prematurely but was able to get a tag number from the vehicle. She had been alerted by the sound of the window the thieves were forced to break because the doors were locked. My mother arrived (unaware of what was happening) just seconds after the thieves left. Upon discovering the house ransacked (they had taken guns and jewelry but were forced to leave the electronics they had stacked at the back patio door in their haste), she dialed 911. She was shocked when, after less than 15 seconds elapsed into her terrified call to the police, she heard them pounding on the front door! She remembers thinking "My gosh, they are fast!". Now she knows the truth. It was the neighbors previous call that had summoned them. Had she been just a minute or two earlier in her arrival, who knows what might have happened with these criminals, now armed with my fathers loaded firearms. The dirtbags were apprehended within the hour and the resultant investigation led to a lot of other peoples property being recovered. Because of the immediate nature of my parents burglary, most of the items taken were recovered, except for some family heirloom jewelry that can never be replaced. My mother generally resented having firearms in the home before the burglary, but she now has a .38 special. She also is religious about locking doors. Bliss broken.

It isn't about living in fear. It is about recognition that there is a criminal element in society that can and will strike without warning, especially when provided with an opportunity to do so, which is many times provided by something left as innocent as a door left unlocked.

I have also encountered people who do not lock their doors when they are home and they give similar responses to those given here. Generally, when faced with a bevy of questions, their philosophical sophistry comes apart at the seams as it is riddled with hypocrisy.

It comes down to a personal choice. Some of us choose to recognize that there are inherent risks and take measures to deter or possibly prevent those risks from being realized. Some of us recognize the risks, but take fewer measures by contrast (perhaps by not owning a firearm). Others exhibit a more supercilious attitude by claiming they are somehow "denying" the criminal element some measure of "respect" or "recognition" by refusing to acknowledge their ability to do harm.

I agree, it will take a traumatic event to get these people to change their view of the world.

You worked for it. Make them work to deprive you of it. Lock your doors.

Taking measures against cowards does not necessarily make you one. If that was the case, then we better pack up in Afghanistan and hurry home to our unlocked houses.

Does that American flag now emblazoned on your vehicle mean "United we stand" or "I'm scared, too."?

:rolleyes:

griz

Leaving doors unlocked during the day is a habit some people get into because of kids. It's just impractical to lock and unlock the door each time a little one wants in or out.

Night time is another thing. I know people who leave the door unlocked 24/7 , and I know some who now lock the door because of hard learned lessons. I lock mine for reasons already stated, it buys you time and makes an entry a noisy event.

HankB

If you read the papers, you'll notice that a lot of times the bad guys simply walk in through an unlocked door. I remember one particular case in my old neighborhood where a burglar had a fairly successful run of luck - his technique was to simply go through back yards and check to see if the back door was locked. If it was, he'd move on. If it wasn't, he'd let himself in, grab a VCR or stereo, and be out. After once seeing tracks in the snow one morning leading to - and then away - from my back porch, the wisdom of keeping my doors locked was reinforced.

I feel pretty safe in my home, but if a BG simply walks in quietly, he may get the "drop" on me. If I have the warning a breaking door will provide, I'll be OK . . .

Even if "your" neighborhood is safe, for most people, the difference between a good neighborhood and a bad is less than a 30 minute drive.

Yes, I lock my doors. Had that ingrained by my folks at an early age.

ahenry

ahenry, thanks for your honest comments. If you'll bear with me, I would like to pursue this a bit more, with continued frankness
Of course, I am not at all offended by your questions and despite the obvious overtones of religion I don’t think the mods will have a problem. If by chance they do, I would be happy to continue this in private via PM or e-mail (just thought I would get that out of the way).

Considering your mindset, as described, how do you feel about the comment I've heard that "God helps those who helps themselves"? If you see humans as you describe, then it almost feels as if you are testing the system, so to speak. As a friend of mine puts it, she feels she has a "guardian angel", and so she is quite cavalier about her personal safety. I feel her guardian angel would be just as happy to have some help from my friend, but she doesn't see it that way. She confuses me as well.
That is a good question and I hate to answer it this way, but in essence I think it comes down to a personal decision based on ones relationship with God (which is why I said I have gone though several evolutions of thought on this issue) additionally it is somewhat a matter of degrees. I know that that might sound like a cop out, so I let me try to expand on it as best I can. As JohnKSa brought up, I have insurance, wear a seatbelt, take medicine, go to the doctor, look both ways before crossing the street, etc, etc. And as I stated at the beginning of this conversation, locking or doors is hardly a major issue, and if someone chooses to do so I will certainly not fault them (and I don’t believe that God does either). When I go about my daily life (be it driving down the road, walking across the street, sitting on my couch, or anything else) I can make a choice. One choice is to take any and all steps that are necessary for my safety (i.e. locking the doors, setting an alarm, getting a guard dog, ad infinitum) and the other choice is to trust Something else and perhaps (or perhaps not) utilize these “mechanical” methods of safety. Let me try to resolve what I am sure you see as a dichotomy. As I stated, God is my safety but I am not going to tempt Him either, meaning I am not going to go take a nap on a train track and expect Him to wake me up or stop the train (here is where my comment of “degrees” comes in). On one extreme you have a situation where you are basically tempting God to do everything for you and snubbing your nose all the provisions He has for you (i.e. doctors, medicine, seatbelts, etc) and on the other end you have a total reliance on physical provisions for personal safety. I don’t think either extreme is right. For me locks are not necessary when I am around. I keep things locked when I am gone but that is to “keep honest folks honest”, not to keep me safe. Did any of that help?

Do you think that people who lock their doors are showing a lack of faith? If so, will they be punished for demonstrating their lack of faith? Do you believe that not locking your doors (as an act of faith) will improve your standing with God? If so, would leaving them swinging open be even better?
No, no, no, and no (I think that got all of them). Hopefully the above response answered your questions as well.

I agree, it will take a traumatic event to get these people to change their view of the world.
I would submit that having a man walk into your house in broad daylight with the intent of doing harm while your kids are a room away can be quite a bit more “traumatic” than being burglarized (as I stated happened to my mom a few years back).

Generally, when faced with a bevy of questions, their philosophical sophistry comes apart at the seams as it is riddled with hypocrisy.
Well it still remains to be seen if such is the case here doesn’t it?

Jeff Thomas

ahenry, thank you very much for your patience, and especially your honest responses. I can't say that I entirely understand your perspective, but I do understand it better, and I respect your choice. Take care.

Regards from AZ

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I'm a door-locker.

I don't think about it, I just do it.

There's a lock there; so I use it. Keeps folks from wandering in by accident. If they force their way in past the lock, I can be relatively assured they're in need of a shootin'.