The perfect centerfire bolt action rifle

tirod

For the sake of discussion (what are we here for?):

1) Available in S, M, L action lengths.
Nice to offer a lot of different calibers, but the perfect bolt gun is just one of them, the perfect hunting caliber.

2) Left handed models in all lengths
85% of the population won't care. It's a niche market. Sorry. Nonetheless, a reversible bolt handle is really a no brainer, depending on how the action is designed. See below.

3) Available in blue or stainless
The perfect hunting gun is has a rust resistant finish in a subdued color. Blued is guaranteed to deteriorate and create sales. Stainless is expensive. Just nitride it in the color you want, it's done. Or, anodized.

4) Integral scope bases like the Ruger or Tikka- one less thing to get loose
A picitinny rail - everything will fit.

5) Mauser-type controlled feed bolt/extractor
Which is considered an unnecessary complication. All the bolt face has to do is push the cartridge into the chamber. There are other ways to control short stroking and jams.

6) Bolt shroud mounted safety like the Win. model 70- locks the firing pin not the sear
Any method that stops the firing pin from being released can work, where the safety is located has more to do with shooter use - and ergonomics should have priority. It could even be trigger finger operated Glock style.

7) Savage style barrel nut mounting- very accurate and easy to change
Yes, which implies attaching a barrel extension to the barrel, then using a lightly built bolt guide. The bolt locks up into the barrel extension, not the receiver. Whether the barrel extension in held on with a nut, or clamped underneath with two screws, is a matter of style, as well as the amount of barrel nut exposure.

8) Adjustable trigger, or at least a good light one like the Accutrigger
Light target triggers on hunting rifles are no guarantee of accuracy. Creep free triggers are really most of what we need, and safety in the field means using a trigger weight that won't allow it to fire from simple inertia if dropped or inadvertently struck while the safety is off. There is a simple limit to how much is too light, and the game won't notice if the trigger is 2.5 or 5 pounds.

9) Positive stock bedding system- Accustock or T/C style.
If we're talking a barrel nut system, or clamped to a receiver, then no bedding at all is just as good, if not better. Make the stock contact points at the receiver screws only, no bedding at all. The barrel will resonate at it's selected frequency to minimize muzzle variation.

10) Synthetic stocks standard- I don't care if they offer wood but others might
Birch laminate in treated wood on the horizontal, like the G43 stocks issued by Germany, is economical and uses a renewable resource. Unlike injection molded plastics, it can be more durable and silent, is easily formed, accepts the minimal necessary fittings, and offers a nice finish as is, or overcoated in a color.

Here's the thinking: An AR barrel with extruded side charger upper, no gas operation, with the bolt carrier chopped down, with reversible straight pull bolt handle. The upper pinned to a laminate lower that contains a drop in trigger, and extends forward with an integral mag well for a few rounds, to the forearm. Buttstock the classic shape with high comb and smooth lines, standard grip shape.

I'm really talking about a manually operated AR 15 cam pin acting bolt with multiple lugs in the barrel extension. It can be made to look classic, but it would be light for its strength, and easy to manufacture.

In fact, it could be built from existing parts. Hmmmm?

Elkins45

2) Left handed models in all lengths
85% of the population won't care. It's a niche market. Sorry. Nonetheless, a reversible bolt handle is really a no brainer, depending on how the action is designed. See below.

It's the most important feature of an action for me.

taylorce1

Here's the thinking: An AR barrel with extruded side charger upper, no gas operation, with the bolt carrier chopped down, with reversible straight pull bolt handle. The upper pinned to a laminate lower that contains a drop in trigger, and extends forward with an integral mag well for a few rounds, to the forearm. Buttstock the classic shape with high comb and smooth lines, standard grip shape.

You mean something similar to this?

tirod

The link isn't a left side straight pull, and it uses a detachable mag. But the Brit difficulty with an AWB has provided a lot of manual action ideas for the concept.

Shorten the AR bolt to the overall length of the firing pin, attach a bolt knob, it's done. All the length of the bolt carrier behind the pin is dead weight to balance the action cycle anyway, something not used in a manual bolt action. A hack saw or 4 1/2" angle grinder can change that (buawhahaha.)

A new serial numbered "upper" receiver would be nice. Extrude it in aluminum with the necessary channel for a POF roller cam pin, topped with a picitinny rail, the sides slotted for the bolt handle and ejection port. No gas key needed. There are already uppers like that in forged.

Fire, pull the bolt off handed, fire, it can be completely ambidextrous. The big difference from a bolt gun is it won't be striker fired. That alone eliminates the bulk and length of the bolt to it's bare minimum, and you don't have to break cheek weld to cycle. It would be cock on opening, but straight back, which is ergonomically stronger.

The point is to use the AR design with cam action bolt for an extremely short design.

woodguru

My perfect rifles weren't that hard to find, Sako varmint .22-250 and .243 and Anschutz 1517 MPR with an Elite 4200 are about as good as it gets for me

Elkins45

^^^^ I'm not sure I understand your point. Almost any rifle in an appropriate caliber will get the job done. This thread is about the perfect rifle, not just an adequate one. I already have a half-dozen of those.

hooligan1

Get yourself a pre-64 model 70, put a synthetic stock on it,:rolleyes: and get on with life.:) Or start building this "perfect rifle", sell it by the thousands, in all calibers, right and left hand, for less than 350.00!!!!:p Yeah, I didn't think so, :cool: