The perfect centerfire bolt action rifle

Elkins45

It doesn't exist, but while I was out hunting yesterday I compiled a list of characteristics for my perfect rifle:

1) Available in S, M, L action lengths.
2) Left handed models in all lengths
3) Available in blue or stainless
4) Integral scope bases like the Ruger or Tikka- one less thing to get loose
5) Mauser-type controlled feed bolt/extractor
6) Bolt shroud mounted safety like the Win. model 70- locks the firing pin not the sear
7) Savage style barrel nut mounting- very accurate and easy to change
8) Adjustable trigger, or at least a good light one like the Accutrigger
9) Positive stock bedding system- Accustock or T/C style
10) Synthetic stocks standard- I don't care if they offer wood but others might

Why doesn't somebody make this rifle? If I could take the bolt from my left-handed Win. model 70 and put it in my Tikka T3 then it would be pretty close, though the trigger isn't really fabulous. So I guess I need to take the Timney trigger off my old 98 Mauser and bolt it on.

After all the legal trouble Remington has had because of their safety I don't understand why anyone still sells a rifle with the safety mounted on the trigger unit. I love my pre-Accutrigger Savage 110 (with a Timney replacement trigger) but I'm pretty confident that if I ever drop it out of a tree stand it's going to discharge. Having that Mauser/Winchester style bolt mounted safety that positively locks the firing pin just seems like the safest mechanical solution to preventing an AD due to jarring.

Your thoughts?

nathaniel

I dropped my old savage model 111F out of a 15' tree stand while I was getting ready to shoot the buck of a lifetime and it never went off, I did dad said he could hear me all the way back at the house.

jmr40

This is why people put together custom rifles with the features they want. A firearms maker would go broke offering that many options. Many of the features important to me are worthless to many others. If I were to design my perfect rifle it would probably sit on a dealers shelves for a long time before someone else came along wanting the same exact gun.

kd7sgm

I agree with you on your wish list. I put a timney trigger and some stock work on my Hawkeye which has made it my all around go to hunting rifle. If it only had the savage barrel nut........if you change out the bolt design of the savage, extractor and safety..........it is endless. Take the best from each maker and make one ultimate rifle.:)

taylorce1

If you throw out 5, 6, & 7 you could just buy yourself a SAKO and be happy. The extractor on the SAKO is pretty bullet proof, and I haven't found where CRF is that superior to a modern PF action anyway. You could probably add the Savage Barrel nut to a SAKO as well, since there are a few people out there doing it to the Rem 700 already. They are the only company that makes several different length actions offering XS (.223 length), S (.308 length), SM (WSM's), M (.30-06 length), and L (.375 H&H length).

There are plenty of guys out there that you could commision an action from with everything you want, just don't complain about the price.

roklok

People still dont seem to get the issue with the 700s. The safety is NOT the issue, the trigger connector is, which is eliminated on the new rifles. The Remington 700 safety is very secure when engaged, as safe as any other rifle. For the rifle to fire on safe, something would have to shear.

The potential problem with the older 700s, which has been widely publicized and discussed lately, is if the trigger mechanism is dirty, rusty, gummed up, or improperly adjusted, the connector may not be in position below the sear. Then if the safety is switched off, the sear drops to fire position and the rifle fires.

A firing pin locking saftey mounted on he bolt shroud, which is available aftermarket for the Rem 700, would not solve his issue, as the rifle would still fire when safety is released, IF the trigger connector was not in place.

I actually prefer the Rem 700 safety to all others, as I find it can be released completely silently using just the thumb. My model 70 Winchester safety requires me to remove my hand from the grip, and pinch the safety between the thumb and forefinger, easing it forward to be silent. This is a huge disadvantage when hunting hard hunted eastern whitetails who are in tune with any noise or excess movement. Especially when still hunting.

My three 700s that I use for big game hunting all lock the bolt when on safe as well. One silent movement, prepares the rifle to fire and unlocks the bolt. On the Win 70, to have the bolt locked requires even more safety travel.

So, bottom line for me is, the Rem 700 although not the perfect bolt action rifle, does have the perfect safety mechanism. Others opinions are sure to vary.

jmr40

roklok,

I am about 99% in agreement with your post. The one thing Remington could have done to make their safety on the new rifles better in my opinion would be to add a 3rd position like on the Howa. I'm with you in that I like the older type that locks the bolt down. The Howa safety works just like the Remington, but locks the bolt down when all the way back. Middle position allows the bolt to be opened while still on safe and all the way forward is to fire.

I understand what you are saying about the Winchester type safety, but in practice I've ever found it to be a real problem.

roklok

All my 700s are post 1982, but I retrofitted the .35 Whelen, 300 Weatherby, and .270 with older safety assemblies to lock the bolt when on safe. New Ultral light Arms makes an aftermarket safety for Rem 700s which locks the bolt but allows for opening the bolt with safety on:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13788/Product/REMINGTON_600_700_3_FUNCTION_SAFETY

I have not tried this safety, but have been tempted. I simply make sure that the rifle is pointed in a SAFE direction when disengaging safety to open bolt.

I have handled older well worn Winchester 70s that had nearly silent safetys, but mine takes a lot of effort to keep silent. Not a problem with most western hunting, or here in Alaska, but really irks me for whitetails in close cover.

KSFreeman

You do realize that what you seek is already made, right?

What matters in shooting and gun handling are triggers, sights, weight, and length of pull (short).

Mechanics and the gun geek crap is just that, crap. For the perfect rifle focus on what matters.:)

Scorch

Except for the barrel nut (which is atrocious looking) and the trigger, you could buy a Ruger Hawkeye, or a Model 70. And another $50 even solves the trigger issue.

Elkins45

Except for the barrel nut (which is atrocious looking) and the trigger, you could buy a Ruger Hawkeye, or a Model 70. And another $50 even solves the trigger issue.

No, sorry. The Model 70 isn't available in left hand and the Ruger only comes with a wood stock in left hand, at least according to their respective websites. I was really excited when I read your post, but alas it turned out not to be the case.

Picher

I love blued Remington 700 receivers and wood stocks. I also love stainless barrels, but stainless actions are a bit soft for my likes. If you like to shoot a lot, get a blued rifle; the carbon steel receiver/bolt/trigger will hold up better under heavy use, according to my experience and discussions with others in the know.

A new stainless barrel was just installed on my blue 1980's Rem 700, switching calibers to .243 Win and am very happy with the results. Wood is prettier and more comfortable when temps get colder. The Remington pattern stock fits me way better than any other and seems to lessen felt recoil, by design.

mshootnit

I think that the perfect rifle would be an American classic style version of the Blaser R93 but priced where folks could buy it. Of course it would have to be accurate and with a trigger that would break like glass at 3lbs.

Second to that I already own something pretty close. I really like my Weatherby vanguard 257 magnum/ stainless. I have a Leupold VXI 4-12 LRD in QRW rings on a Warne Tactical one piece rail. SWEET! You have to hold it and shoot it to fully appreciate it. The only thing that could make it better would be to replace "Made in Japan" with Made in the USA.
Regarding Safety devices: If you use one YOU are unsafe. Not the rifle. NO safety should ever be trusted when it serves just as well to empty the damn rifle. You get what I mean? I can't think of a scenario where a safety is needed and I forbid my children to use one.

Last edited:

Elkins45

You get what I mean? I can't think of a scenario where a safety is needed and I forbid my children to use one.

I get what you mean and you couldn't be more wrong. I realize there is no mechanical substitute for proper gun handling, but nobody is 100%-accidents can always happen-that's why they are called accidents. How about the very scenario I mentioned: dropping a rifle from a tree stand? A safety that locks the firing pin just might save your life. Or how about a twig catching in the trigger guard?

I hope your children don't kill themselves or someone else because you taught them not to take advantage of another layer of protection. Did you teach them to drive without seatbelts? After all, there's no need for mechanical protection if you practice safe car handling.

I'm sorry but your response just sounds like posturing to me.