The Outlaw Josie Wales

Burrhead51

The Walker Colt was considered to be the Magnum Revolver of it's day, one of the most powerful of the old cap and ball revolvers wasn't it. Clint was also carrying a pair of 36 caliber Colts in a shoulder holster also.

ClemBert

bamaranger said:
Hey, in D-jet500 photo, I'm pretty sure that the revolver on the left is a version of one of the Dragoon model, note the loading lever lock and the different shaped and sized bolt notches, sort of an improved Walker, which is indeed, I believe what the rev on the right represents (Walker). They sure aren't identical.

They both look like Walkers to me. Note the wedges are inserted from the right side instead of the left like a Dragoon. It would appear to me that both Walkers have been converted to shoot cartridges. Note the lack of nipples on the cylinders. Also, the one on the left has the recoil shield ground out to accept loading of cartridges from the rear. Also, regarding the one on the left, it is not unheard of that the loading levers were later modified to include a positive latch system like the Dragoons.

Clint001.jpg

Hardy

the movie outlaw jose wales has been confused w/pale rider here. Was it not a cartridge converter he practiced w/in the beginning? On Jose Wales? And the Civil War was still somewhat still active? The cylinder swap in Pale rider is another debate

Devolver

Hollywood

If you watch that movie in slow motion, he fakes it, he only takes his his hand near his belt which appears to hold cylinders containing cartridges. The prop dept. apparently was lacking in spare bp cylinders.

Ideal Tool

Josey Wales Dream Guns

Hello, Concerning the flick, Josey Wales, if you look close, the scene at the bridge where they are all loading up for attack...they are opening loading gates & inserting metalic ctg.'s! C'mon Guys! This is the CIVIL WAR. And while Colt would have loved to be able to pedal a revolver like that (it would have had to be in .44 Henry, as no C.F. ctg. were invented yet for American revolvers), there was the little problem of the Rolin White patent...owned by Smith & Wesson...Which gave them sole mfg. rights to a bored thru cylinder.
I must say that Hollywood is getting better with more authentic weapons.