The "other" revolvers

A revolver other than a big name brand, just to learn so you can teach others....

• Armscor k-frame-ish .38 spl

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • EAA Windicator

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Charter Arms

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Other (please suggest)

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GarandTd

I voted Charter Arms. There are many budget firearms that work just as well as the premium brands. My guess is that most new shooters looking for a little instruction are not going to be revolver divas.

5whiskey

Sam don't get discouraged. A few here haven't been overly critical. I can absolutely understand that there may be trainers today (younger and less experienced, but competent) that aren't revolver people and don't have much experience with a revolver. I had my dad's revolver from about 20 years old on, and it was my first handgun, but I quickly gravitated to semi auto and didn't buy my own revolver until 8 years ago. Don't get too discouraged.

I still think an older model 10 would serve anyone well as a first revolver.

CajunBass

I clicked "other" by mistake, but of those listed, I've got experience with Charter Arms and have found them to be lacking in nothing.

The others I know nothing about, other than they seem a bit ugly to me.

However, for demonstration purposes only, I suppose one would be just as good as the other.

lee n. field

I have a friend who is a firearms instructor with a military-only background. He wants to learn revolvers enough to teach the students who show up for his classes with one.

Now here is the deal: He should know better, and I have tried to tell him so, but he wants to buy a CHEAP DA revolver. I have told him that real revolvers are made by Smith, Colt, Ruger, Kimber, and maybe Taurus, but he ain't having any.

Of the following, which one would you guys choose?

Armscor
EAA Windicator
Charter Arms
Other (Please name)

I voted "other". He should try to find a used S&W k-frame. Probably find one at one of the surplus vendors.

Armscor -- the few I have handled have been rough and crude. I'd be happy to be proved wrong on that.

Windicator -- seldom seen, only the Internet buzz to go by.

Charter -- my one example left me leery of it. Your Mileage May Vary.

Dave T

I used to run my own firearms training business. In the 10 years I did that I trained well over 1000 people (quit counting at 1K) and ~50% shot revolvers for concealed carry purposes.

My experience with the off brands was less that encouraging. I see no reason to buy a second rate DA revolver when a used but perfectly functional K-frame S&W or medium frame Ruger (like the Security-Six) can be hand for the same price. I won't include Colts because their stacking trigger was always a detriment to the students I had who showed up with them.

YMMV,
Dave

Carmady

I voted Charter Arms.

The guns are just fine for what they are, and CA's customer service blows Ruger's and S&W's out of the water. I will never buy another new revolver from Ruger or S&W. Ime, ymmv, etc

Hal

H&R

Trapper Model from the distant past.
Man, I love my H&R .22/.22mag convertible - but - it has the nastiest of nasty D/A triggers. I can't see a novice teaching other novices using one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.