The not so concealed carriers

BamaBowtie said:
I noticed they wer from Al. which does not allow OC either.

BamaBowtie said:
I am talking about witnessing people in concealed only states (Fl, Al, Tx, etc...) who are obviously breaking the law

You might want to spend some time researching the laws of Alabama, especially if that is where you are from, BamaBowtie. Open carry is perfectly legal in Alabama, even without a permit (except inside a vehicle without a permit).

http://www.ago.state.al.us/oldopinions/8400205.pdf

jimbob86

I have an inside the waist holster that rides low, but is a strong side reverse draw. That way, the grip goes forward.

Ummmm ..... errrrrrr... so ..... you sweep yourself with a cocked and locked 1911 (or any gun, for that matter), while disengaging the safety on the draw?!?!? :eek:

Bad Plan. I am no expert, but I'm thinkin' that shooting yourself through the lower midsection is a very bad way to start a self-defense engagement, ..... just a guess.

HighValleyRanch

safe reverse draw

Ummmm ..... errrrrrr... so ..... you sweep yourself with a cocked and locked 1911 (or any gun, for that matter), while disengaging the safety on the draw?!?!?

Bad Plan. I am no expert, but I'm thinkin' that shooting yourself through the lower midsection is a very bad way to start a self-defense engagement, ..... just a guess.

Who said anyone was sweeping their body? You are assuming that all people who do a reverse draw HAVE TO sweep their bodies?
Looks like you didn't read my post carefully, because I explained in detail how you do it without sweeping your body. I practice this draw daily, and have never swept my body, nor anything to the side or rear. The gun is always pointed down, or down range.

You have to practice safely drawing from the reverse grip. Do it slowly. Pull straight up out of the holster, making sure to keep it vertical along the side of your torso, and immediately point the gun, upside down towards downrange, and then roll it over as you come to horizontal. You can do this around step three of the gunsite type presentation. Practice over and over with an empty gun, and check in the mirror to see if the "laser" points anywhere you don't want. Irregardless of what many people say, you CAN draw safely with some practice.

If practiced correctly this carry method and presentation technique can be as safe as any other method, and probably safer than the thunderwear carry, the cross draw, the should carry, mexican carry, fanny pack carry, grip down small of back carry, clip draw, and more.

jimbob86

Do it slowly. Pull straight up out of the holster, making sure to keep it vertical along the side of your torso, and immediately point the gun, upside down towards downrange, and then roll it over as you come to horizontal. You can do this around step three of the gunsite type presentation. Practice over and over with an empty gun, and check in the mirror to see if the "laser" points anywhere you don't want. Irregardless of what many people say, you CAN draw safely with some practice.

Still a Bad Plan. If The Plan is to complicate the draw (slowing it down)....

... yeah, Bad Plan, if speed is of any importance.

HighValleyRanch

No time lost

You make a lot of assumptions, don't you?
Still a Bad Plan. If The Plan is to complicate the draw (slowing it down)....

... yeah, Bad Plan, if speed is of any importance.

This draw is only the slightest slower than standard presentation.
We are talking maybe .5 seconds.
Taking all other considerations into account, it is not even a consideration.

Look at all the people that carry a small DA in their pockets. I will be on target way before they can clear the gun out of their pockets.
So they all have bad plans??

jimbob86

This draw is only the slightest slower than standard presentation.
We are talking maybe .5 seconds.

Not the best plan ...... .5 sec is a very long time in terms of draw speed.

If it is not the best plan, and your life depends upon it, then it not a good plan. Not good = bad, in my book.

Taking all other considerations into account, it is not even a consideration.

Look at all the people that carry a small DA in their pockets. I will be on target way before they can clear the gun out of their pockets.
So they all have bad plans??

I understand where you are coming from: I used to Carry a 1911 in condition 3, because I had the safety come off in the cheap softsided suede IWB holster I had...... rather than get a better holster and or a gun with a stiffer safety, I trained to rack on the draw ....... It was pointed out by Tamara K that this was not a Good Plan...... and further research on my part, and an upgrade in equipment, proved this to be the case.

It's your plan. Carry however you want to......

.... it just seems you are advocating reinventing the wheel, here...... 'cause octagonal wheels work better for you.

HighValleyRanch

Old as the hills

It's your plan. Carry however you want to......

.... it just seems you are advocating reinventing the wheel, here...... 'cause octagonal wheels work better for you.

It seems that my "new wheel" was here long before your wheel, the modern method of combat by Jeff Cooper.

You are aware that Widl Bill Hickok and many, many others of his day wore the gun butt forward and used the cavalry twist draw or cross draw. Butt forward was common practice for many years.

I am not re-inventing anything at all, just re-using!;)

Edward429451

I look all the time for peoples ccw's. I see more and more out there. I would never approach someone and let them know they've been made. Not my place or business.

aarondhgraham

You are aware that Widl Bill Hickok and many, many others of his day wore the gun butt forward and used the cavalry twist draw or cross draw.

I believe from my studies of gun-leather, that a major reason for that was because in the late 1830's and early 1840's,,,
Holsters (as we know them),,,
Hadn't been invented yet.

Crossdraw from a sash or tucked under a belt,,,
That was a natural way to hang a gun.

According to calvary manuals the pistol hung on the right hand side,,,
Was carried butt forward because it was meant to be used with the left hand,,,
The cavalry saber was still the primary weapon meant to be used with the right hand.

Many pics of Hickok show him with revolvers tucked in a sash,,,
Most just tucked their single shot pistols in a belt,,,
I have seen simple loops sewn onto belts,,,
But prior to the mid/late 1840's,,,
Holsters weren't common.

That doesn't mean they didn't exist,,,
They simply weren't in widespread use yet.

jimbob86

It seems that my "new wheel" was here long before your wheel, the modern method of combat by Jeff Cooper.

You are aware that Widl Bill Hickok and many, many others of his day wore the gun butt forward and used the cavalry twist draw or cross draw. Butt forward was common practice for many years.

..... and use of outhouses was common practice for many years ...... some folks still prefer them.....

..... using an outhouse won't get you killed.

Steven_Seagal

why worry about how someone else cares to draw? that's like me telling you that carrying a 9mm is wrong and you need to start carrying a .45

you do what works for you and what you're comfortable with. His unusual draw may still be faster than someone else's common draw.

riggins_83

I was in a store on a day with temps around 85F. He was wearing a tan vest and a baseball cap with a handgun on it. Why not just wear a sign?

Win73 said:
If open carry is legal in Alabama, then why does the sheriff tell me it has to be concealed every time I renew my permit?

Because he does not like open carry and he is lying to you under color of law to coerce you into complying with his opinion.

The Attorney General of the state has clarified that Alabama statutes do not prohibit open carry - no permit required - and having a permit does not change the legality of open carry - a permit ALLOWS you to conceal the gun, it does not REQUIRE you to conceal the gun. Just like having a motor vehicle driver's license does not prevent you from riding a bicycle.

Alabama Statutes state that state law is supreme (called preemption):
http://law.justia.com/alabama/codes/8577/11-80-11.html

(a) No county or municipal corporation, instrumentality, or political subdivision thereof, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.

More info:
http://www.opencarry.org/al.html

If your sheriff threatens to arrest you for open carry, he is committing a crime:

http://law.justia.com/alabama/codes/13297/13a-6-25.html

(a) A person commits the crime of criminal coercion if, without legal authority, he threatens to confine, restrain or to cause physical injury to the threatened person or another, or to damage the property or reputation of the threatened person or another with intent thereby to induce the threatened person or another against his will to do an unlawful act or refrain from doing a lawful act.

(b) Criminal coercion is a Class A misdemeanor.

riggins_83 said:
I was in a store on a day with temps around 85F. He was wearing a tan vest and a baseball cap with a handgun on it. Why not just wear a sign?

Was the gun velcro'd or duct taped to the cap? Did the cap have a retention strap?!? :D

Gives new meaning to the phrase, "You'll shoot yer eye out!"

images

Last edited:

BamaBowtie

Actually, I am familiar with Alabama's laws. I lived in NE AL for over 8 years. I know that some argue the oc/cc thing. I have actually spoken with the AG about the issue and he told me, that although it is theoretically "legal" you would most likely be charged with brandishing and/or disturbing the peace. The pistol permit issued to me in Calhoun county states "License to carry a pistol concealed on the person or in a vehicle is hereby granted". The first rule on the back of the card reads "This pistol permit does not permit you to carry a gun openly".

Retired15T

Bowtie,

You are being duped and coerced into thinking it isn't legal to OC in Alabama. It certainly is, as previously pointed out.

I live in Coffee County. The back of mine says:

This license entitles you to carry a legal pistol concealed on or about your person or vehicle within the State of Alabama. Your license can be confiscated by any law officer for irresponsible behavior, which could result in revocation of license.

I specifically asked our County Sheriff if were illegal to OC. He said that while most law enforcement doesn't like to see it in this State, they CAN NOT force you to NOT OC, even without a license. Every single one of the cases that have gone before any court in Alabama in recent years has seen the charges dismissed. For some time, it was "commonly known" that you can't OC. However, that was wrong. The State law doesn't specifically prevent anyone from carrying. All it took to put a few Sheriff's in their place was a few good citizens standing up for their rights.

I suggest you check out this website about Open Carry in Alabama. Further more, check out the forums as well.

Hopefully, it isn't too inconvenient for you to stand up for YOUR rights.